• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Fluorinated Cannabinoid Pyrolysis

countyourculture

Greenlighter
The odd numbered alkyl chain on AM-2201 and similar does not metabolize to toxic fluoroacetate (great). This was a matter of concern when these compounds first showed up.

But what about the effects of pyrolysis? These compounds are typically smoked. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on possible toxicity here.

Last edited:
All kinds of twisted Fluorinated molecules.

Fluoro-cannabinoids are not safe to smoke.

Neither the 5F- series or the FUBs - AB-FUBINACA / FUB-AMB / FUB-PB22 should be overheated.

These drugs represent an odd class without precedent- in metabolism these will not be removed besides through NIH shift or epoxidation but even then the harm that presents is because of its ease to undergo these transformations (free radical species)

No commonly smoked drugs have fluoride atoms in them and if we consider conventional smoking of a form of plant matter and drug to be essentially vaporization and pyrolysis, simultaneously, then these compounds may be highly redox active in human lung cytochromes. At higher pyrolysis temperatures oxidation drives the force forming many species, look at a fire sometime..
They present a class capable of damaging lung systems but will not show any clinical results for a while, the lungs are very dense and damage must take time to accrue. Overall smoking these blends may be worse but will not show any effects, probably ever, except for populations smoking multiple times daily. Vaping at the correct temp is probably fine, but the intrinsic activity of these when smoked may be a problem but will not show any results.

Tldr
Don't be afraid of fluorine unless you pyrolysize these compounds by smoking them, multiple times daily. Even then effects might not show for months, the lung cytochrome systems are peculiar, clinical presentation probably asthma, bronchitis induced by particles, normal things..

Bottom line I don't know but these may undergo epoxidation in lung cyps by pyrolysis and damage lung tissue overlong time.
Zzedz

Fluoride is a Endocrine disruptor and toxic to both the Hypothalamus and Liver if the amount if intake to the body is greater then the excretion rate.

and fluorinated organic compounds aren't generally sources of fluoride anion... so this isn't really relevant.
sodium fluoride and its friends being highly ionic makes them essentialy nonvolatile.

i would be way more concerned with possible exposure to hydrogen fluoride, etc but even then I think those are most relevant in compounds with a high weight% fluorine content (Teflon and friends). i think the toxicological impact of smoking fluorinated drugs is usually more focused on what the drugs themselves do (e.g. sub milligram active doses of full agonist cannabinoids) rather than trace fluorine/fluoride from decomposition.