• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

"Fix Rooms" - what's your opinions?

Where the one in Sydney is located was drug central so no dealers needed to be near the centre. The drug dealing in the cross was controlled by serious organised crime figures working with police protection. It has changed now as there was a massive Royal Commission into Police Corruption in the cross which had been going on for decades. The thing is it actually kept the place safe. The crims did their business but were not allowed to sell drugs to kids and violence was kept to a minimum and was only ever between crims themselves. It was a wild fun place to go out. Once the corruption was cleaned up all hell broke loose and other gangs moved in and the police had no control over them. It was far safer when the crooks and cops worked together. Now it is basically dead as our puritanical conservative govt brought in 3am closing and 1 am lockouts in response to alcohol related violence. Its basically designed to kill the nightlife so the land can fall into the hands of developers. Every big city needs a red light district but Sydney is becoming a dull and boring city.

Let the junkies fix themselves.

That's actually a fair point...

As Julie said, the correct implementation of 'shooting galleries' is vital to their success. But there is also the question of accessibility. How do we determine who is allowed to use them? I believe this service is only currently available in England (don't know about the rest of the UK) to long-term addicts who have failed other treatments and have criminal records associated with their use! So the message is clear - if you want somewhere warm, clean and safe to bang up, go and commit crimes. On the other hand, if all IDUs were accepted, then the scheme would be accused of encouraging and perpetuating illegal drug use. 'Tis a difficult one, without a doubt...

All IDU's are allowed in Sydney. They give all the micron filters etc to the pill shooters. I think ice is probably a big percentage but its mainly the heroin users that make use of it as they are the ones that risk death with every shot, especially if they shoot alone.

A difficult one until you take away

On the other hand, if all IDUs were accepted, then the scheme would be accused of encouraging and perpetuating illegal drug use.

And the political meaning of that.

I don't normally go for half measures, the problems being well highlighted in the cocktail described in the OP but today I read this...

TPD quoted this from April Wilson Smith (a Philly based epidemiologist) in DITM...

...you know how many people have died from an overdose in one of those facilities, my friend…?

Nope, not 4 million. It’s actually zero

...accused of encouraging and perpetuating illegal drug use...

= Bluelight? Any 'harm reduction' strategy that does not advocate absolute abstinence from any particular subtance will inevitably attract this - legitimate - criticism

'Tis a difficult one, without a doubt...

Absolutely!

I would not even restrict the rooms to intravenous users. Provide foil for those who prefer to inhale, and encourage this as a less dangerous (even if it doesn't deserve to be called "safer") RoA. What you don't want to do is encourage formerly happy "tooters" to start injecting, in order to get access to your facilities.

I would not even restrict the rooms to intravenous users. Provide foil for those who prefer to inhale, and encourage this as a less dangerous (even if it doesn't deserve to be called "safer") RoA. What you don't want to do is encourage formerly happy "tooters" to start injecting, in order to get access to your facilities.
Yes the man behind the Kings Cross injecting Room wants to open Drug consumption rooms to cater for all drug users so they come into contact with medical and social services and to get people off the streets. The public id in favour of the idea but our puritanical government has ruled it out as it sends the wrong message to the kids. The same reason they wont allow the same guy to set up proper pill testing at festivals and raves. I guess they would rather send the message that they dont give a fuck if kids die from dodgy drugs as long as they are seen to be fighting the never ending war on drugs