View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

First time using LSD, scared of a bad trip

jpinky

Greenlighter
okay... so ive done shrooms b4 and i really wanna do DMT, but first i wanna get a few hits of acid under my belt so im more prepared for the DMT trip. but ive heard a lot about bad trips and scarred its ganna happen to me. well my mother just died a little bit ago and im mainly scarred that im ganna have a bad trip that has something to do with that and that i wont be able to handle it (mainly bc i havent really dealt with it and just kinda trow it in the back of my mind and try not to think about it whenever it she pops up in my head, and i think the acid may bring it out, idk weird huh). And i know people say dont worry about it bc thats what can make it happen but still i cant really help but worry about it, anyone heard of that kinda bad trip happening?
what kind of bad trips have yall had?
what do you think caused them?
and any tips to avoid a bad trip?

i can 100% guarentee the LSD will force you to deal with the issue. This could end good - you accepting your mothers death, or badly (you freaking out). Maybe have some benzos on hand.

Yeah, if you know you're trying to avoid thinking about something, you're still thinking about it, and you'll inevitably bring it up if you're on LSD. But like yourtman says, it could end well, or badly, depending on where you take it.

fuk u just scared the shit out of me, :*( does any1 agree with that? u really think my trip will involve that? i dont like dealing with things :(

then LSD isn't for you, sorry. Not to be blunt, but the fun of then only comes after you deal with issues. (or back when you're 15 and have no issues haha)

Realize that the experience comes from within you which means that the fate of it lays in your own hands. That can be tough to see, and it can be tempting to think of it as being a victim of circumstances and causality.
For these reasons your worrying alone about a bad trip can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. The key to overcoming bad elements in a trip is accepting that not everything is perfect and positive, take the bad with the good. Look at it, don't look away, be brave and have real faith in yourself that it will be alright. That you and your trip will be alright because you will it to be.

Make sure you do it in the right set and setting, make sure there is nothing you have to do or have to NOT do - like doing it in secret hiding from your parents is no good - being responsible for something on that day, that can make other people rely on you and want you to do things like drive someone or take care of someone... all of that is no good, you need to be able to be free.
Next step is actually act free, free yourself from yourself and let everything flow naturally. Leave your thoughts about the difference between 'what is' and 'what should be' at the door, expectations can make something exciting but don't go too far with it or else there is too much pressure to just things be what they are.
Be in agreement with yourself that whatever the trip will be, it is perfect in its own right.

If you are a type of person who always wants to have something to do, like entertainment, try to let that go for once and be okay with just wandering around experiencing.

Some people have negative experiences, it is true - but they don't just happen at random - it's because it is not prepared correctly and something unexpected is allowed to happen, or people are mentally not in a good place when they start and approach it too casually. Then you can get your ass kicked by a psychedelic but if you are honest about it that is sort of what goes around comes around. Not like people deserve it but they usually do it to themselves if guidelines are not followed.

If you feel good about yourself and have enough time and place to trip, and by the way do not make your company too big, 1 other person is great but 3 total is what they call a crowd. Tripping with crowds is generally just disorienting and while it can be wacky and social, it is also unstable and complex social dynamics can result in unexpected turns.

Many people who have tripped quite a number of times realize that there is no such thing as a bad trip, there are only difficult experiences. The more you resist going through those the more torturous it is, but if you really confront it then you can learn incredible things. Just remember that you cannot die from something like LSD and just LET GO when you feel too much friction. It will be fine, I promise. Resistance is futile and it will only pull at you very hard.

Imagine a roller coaster: when it turns out to be very intense you can go screaming I wanna get off! I wanna get off! but you can't and it will only suck that much more. Instead just sit back and relax and let the ride wash over you. If you can contact that deep level where you can really surrender you may really feel like you have achieved something that stands for a lot more than it initially appears to!

__

If you don't like dealing with things then this is probably not for you. Dealing with things helps you process them and put them in perspective and relieve you. It's quite healthy, therapeutic even.
The trip may turn out to begin recreationally and not get all that deep - some people just mainly get visuals and euphoria and stuff, but that doesn't mean that when something presents itself, something that just doesn't sit right in you... it can be bad not to deal with it. Because it will make you more aware of the fact that something is wrong and while that is a great opportunity to actually do something with it, it can make it extra difficult and disagreeable if you want to ignore it or run away from it.

These things are vital for growing up, maturing, developing yourself, becoming a whole person who works out inconsistencies.

Realize that the experience comes from within you which means that the fate of it lays in your own hands. That can be tough to see, and it can be tempting to think of it as being a victim of circumstances and causality.
For these reasons your worrying alone about a bad trip can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. The key to overcoming bad elements in a trip is accepting that not everything is perfect and positive, take the bad with the good. Look at it, don't look away, be brave and have real faith in yourself that it will be alright. That you and your trip will be alright because you will it to be.

Make sure you do it in the right set and setting, make sure there is nothing you have to do or have to NOT do - like doing it in secret hiding from your parents is no good - being responsible for something on that day, that can make other people rely on you and want you to do things like drive someone or take care of someone... all of that is no good, you need to be able to be free.
Next step is actually act free, free yourself from yourself and let everything flow naturally. Leave your thoughts about the difference between 'what is' and 'what should be' at the door, expectations can make something exciting but don't go too far with it or else there is too much pressure to just things be what they are.
Be in agreement with yourself that whatever the trip will be, it is perfect in its own right.

If you are a type of person who always wants to have something to do, like entertainment, try to let that go for once and be okay with just wandering around experiencing.

Some people have negative experiences, it is true - but they don't just happen at random - it's because it is not prepared correctly and something unexpected is allowed to happen, or people are mentally not in a good place when they start and approach it too casually. Then you can get your ass kicked by a psychedelic but if you are honest about it that is sort of what goes around comes around. Not like people deserve it but they usually do it to themselves if guidelines are not followed.

If you feel good about yourself and have enough time and place to trip, and by the way do not make your company too big, 1 other person is great but 3 total is what they call a crowd. Tripping with crowds is generally just disorienting and while it can be wacky and social, it is also unstable and complex social dynamics can result in unexpected turns.

Many people who have tripped quite a number of times realize that there is no such thing as a bad trip, there are only difficult experiences. The more you resist going through those the more torturous it is, but if you really confront it then you can learn incredible things. Just remember that you cannot die from something like LSD and just LET GO when you feel too much friction. It will be fine, I promise. Resistance is futile and it will only pull at you very hard.

Imagine a roller coaster: when it turns out to be very intense you can go screaming I wanna get off! I wanna get off! but you can't and it will only suck that much more. Instead just sit back and relax and let the ride wash over you. If you can contact that deep level where you can really surrender you may really feel like you have achieved something that stands for a lot more than it initially appears to!

__

If you don't like dealing with things then this is probably not for you. Dealing with things helps you process them and put them in perspective and relieve you. It's quite healthy, therapeutic even.
The trip may turn out to begin recreationally and not get all that deep - some people just mainly get visuals and euphoria and stuff, but that doesn't mean that when something presents itself, something that just doesn't sit right in you... it can be bad not to deal with it. Because it will make you more aware of the fact that something is wrong and while that is a great opportunity to actually do something with it, it can make it extra difficult and disagreeable if you want to ignore it or run away from it.

These things are vital for growing up, maturing, developing yourself, becoming a whole person who works out inconsistencies.

god damn thats sum deep ass shit..... very well said. u reconvinced me to do try it but with more prep work. also how many hits should i do? i was thinkin 2...

Solipsis, I agree 100% with you about there being no such thing as a bad trip. I have had difficult situations arise many times while tripping. When I got through them, it was totally awesome.
I've tripped hundreds of times, and I can't say that I have ever had what some people call 'bad trips'. I've experienced some challenges, but you just have to realize that it's just like a problem you may have in everyday life. Acknowledge the situation, accept it, figure out what needs to be done, and do it. If you're in no state to handle the problem directly, call a friend.
If you can solve the worlds problems while tripping, anything less should be cake! :)

Solipsis, I agree 100% with you about there being no such thing as a bad trip. I have had difficult situations arise many times while tripping. When I got through them, it was totally awesome.
I've tripped hundreds of times, and I can't say that I have ever had what some people call 'bad trips'. I've experienced some challenges, but you just have to realize that it's just like a problem you may have in everyday life. Acknowledge the situation, accept it, figure out what needs to be done, and do it. If you're in no state to handle the problem directly, call a friend.
If you can solve the worlds problems while tripping, anything less should be cake! :)

please elaborate? like that "difficult situations" arose? and how did you go about dealing with them while tripping?

No one can tell you "what will happen" of course. Nor how many hits to do, they vary so widely in strength it is impossible to tell over the net... best thing to do is discuss it with the seller or someone who has already tried this exact same batch.

Being "afraid of a bad trip" can encourage one to happen. Like the boogeyman under the bed that comes out only because he knows you are afraid of him... your fear is the source of his power. So dont give it to him... dont worry, be happy! HAHA!

Check this out:

Timothy Leary, Cheech & Chong, Michael Winslow & Pee-Wee Herman: Nice Dreams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfMNml8pJaM&feature=related

Last edited:
there are difficult situations and then just down right horrific-filmesque bad trips, like my fiance, hearing people shriek her name while seeing her name patterning on everything at a festival, but i guess thats down to set and setting

__

<3<3<3

seriously one of the best posts I've seen in a while

yeah if you're really scared about tripping and then take an LSD tab on that fear, the fear might turn into excitement, or the fear might multiply into worse fear

but if, instead, you feel ready; do it! and then dont look back!

__

wow i wish someone told me this before I tried acid.... this almost made me tear up :')

There's a reason Solipsis is such a respected member of this forum :)

Anyway on top of what he said I would recommend another mushroom trip first.
In the off chance of a difficult experience the mushroom experience is much shorter.
Not to mention I find that they are much more suited for coming face to face with personal issues and troubles.
They are a healing drug for me, LSD is more of a fun time drug.
I could not imagine the difficulty of what you're dealing with so honestly I feel completely at a loss on how to advise you but that is the best I can do.

I would have to say that both Psilocybin and LSD will make you confront thoughts in the back of your mind, no matter what you do.
Once you are confronted, it is up to you how you will react. At first when you see your problems in the face due to the psychedelic drug, you can start to cry, scream etc, but once you have conquered that issue - you move on and the trip changes, even you - your own outlook at life can change.
My first mushroom experience on 3.1 dried grams, tripped me so fuckin hard, I could suddenly see my problems clear as day and I started to cry at in a split second. At the end of the peak, you know the end of the final wave of intense mushroomity, entering the mellowed out comedown, I could hear a voice saying that i shouldn't be afraid - so it turned out to be a good trip, a good experience, even though it was also scary as fuck.

^ this. Word.

Op,
"But it's all in your mind .Don't think your time on bad things .Just float your little mind around" -jimi hendrix

Just stay positive.

If you have a bad trip, you have a bad trip. It happens, and its not fun, but youll more than likely be fine.

As for tips on avoiding a bad trip, just be sure you have a perfect set and setting. Dont take it somewhere you havent been before, or somewhere where you're expected to do anything, or in a situation where you could get in trouble for taking it. If you start having a bad trip, try and focus on your breathing and remind yourself "I am on drugs." In fact, writing "I am on drugs but ill eventually be sober" or something like that on your hand is a pretty surefire way of keeping your cool while tripping. I never would have believed that such a thing would have any benefit until I took a psych for the first time and legitimately forgot I was on drugs.

Oh and of course make sure you take a smart dose