• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc First time using Kratom, how to dose?

samhandwich22

Greenlighter
Wow if there is one drug that I cannot figure out how to properly dose with the first time trying, it is Kratom. I have done preliminary research but cant decide how much I should be ordering off the internet. Some have varieties such as super, or super premium, some sell powdered but in capsules, others as dried foliage.

My goal here is to use a relatively low dose the first time to experiment with its effects before deciding if I need to increase dose in subsequent trials. Due to all the various techniques and types of kratom that are being advertised online, I dont know where to start with what I should order. Should I take it by oral capsule, or steep it into tea? How many grams would be considered a light first time dose? Should I order premium, super premium, super, extra strength, or just regular kratom?
I need a recommendation from someone with more experience!

it is best to titrate your dose with tea the first time

take 5 or 10 gms of powdered or shredded leaf (if you are opioid tolerant you may need even more), steep it in hot water for 15 mins, drink it slowly over the course of 30 mins to an hour. stop when you feel good or if you start to get dizzy/nauseous, and note how much of the tea you've drank. now multiply that fraction by however much kratom you steeped, and you know a good dose for e.g. capsules or "toss and wash"

that way you dont choke back a bunch of capsules only to realize you dosed way too high and end up spewing everywhere and feeling really shitty.

^^^^ That sounds like a pretty damn good method. Otherwise I'd maybe email the site your ordering from and ask just how strong the kratom your ordering is, as well as just ordering said sites standard kratom. (if it's your first time I don't see any need to get the strongest stuff)

The problem with dosing kratom is that all of the "premium", "super premium" etc. grades are completely arbitrary. The same goes for the so called strains like "Maeng Da" and "Red Vein". There is some difference, sure, but most of the nominal differences are just about marketing. Without sourcing, which is against the TOS, we would have no idea how strong what you're receiving actually is. My experience is that a lot of the times, "regular" is almost as strong as whatever they say their best is. My best advice would be to just start slow and titrate upwards.

As far as ROAs go, I personally just plug and chug (tbuy bulk powder, put it in a spoon, swallow it and wash it down with water or some other beverage). However, I have a very strong stomach, so I don't know how much I would recommend this to most people. Tea seems like the most innocuous way, but the problem is the water-solubility of the alkaloids in kratom. They're somewhat soluble in water, but don't just steep for 3 mins like regular tea; steeping for more like 20 is better. It will be bitter, but that's just how it is. You could go pills, but then you would have to wait a little but for the outside to dissolve, so titration would be harder.

Kratom is an enigmatic drug. I don't know that there have been any fatal overdoses due to it (I believe people have died on it, but have always had other drugs more attributable to the OD in their systems). However, you can end up feel pretty nauseous from taking too much.

TL;DR: I'd just buy some of their regular powdered strain. Then (if you can) plug and chug about 3-5 grams. Wait about 20 minutes. See how you feel. Rinse and repeat.

Thank you for the responses everyone. I am going to order some and experiment, anecdotes seem to convey only a vague sense of what this drug does to you so I guess trying it myself is the next step. Dosage information is what I really needed clarification on.

I would recommend 2.5-5 grams for the first time. Any higher and you risk side effects.

Personally, after over 6 months of use, I still often just take 2.5-3grams. A friend of mine prefers the 4.5-6gram range (he also has worse side effects: i.e. frustration & irritability). My wife hates the drug at any dose. The point is that it may vary from person to person. I would start low and take your time learning how this drug effects you.

My question about dosage is in terms of daily use. I've been getting the powder of all sorts white vein, Bali, and
have been using it daily for about 2 months. I'm starting out with 4 grams in the morning, then 4 early afternoon,
then 4 again in the evening. Since I'm tossing and washing, (yuuuuuuk!!)tossing it with a spoon, im not sure how accurate this is but it would be safe to say I'm doing 12-14 grams over the course of a day. I have read posts about "doses", but
not so many about daily use. So I'd like to know if I'm in the moderate range or am I doing too much. The euphoric effects
are nice but when I wake up I feel like shit for a couple of hours, so I don't know if the benefits outweigh this.
Night sweats are noticeable, other variables being since I'm a female, is this a function of menopause as well? And I'm pretty sure I'm hard pressed to find anyone who could elaborate on this, but I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could. What makes more complicated is having 3 weeks out from a reasonable taper off hydrocodone, and 1 week a per off an antidepressant.