View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

First time trying psychedelics.

PandaParty56

Greenlighter
I've been very fascinated by them for quite a while, but didn't feel that I was in the right state of mind to take them. Now that I feel like I am, I'm ready to try them. My big question is, should I do LSD or shrooms first? Some of my friends say that LSD would be better to try first because shrooms cause food poisoning and can make you feel uncomfortable. And that is the last thing you want during your trip. But on the other hand, my friends have told me that shrooms. have a better body high. What would you people recommend to use between the two psychedelics when tripping for your first time?

I think this kind of thread is kind of not allowed here, because it's basically a "what should I take" thread. But I'll do my best to provide some harm-reduction without providing a direct answer.

LSD is tougher to verify as being legitimate LSD these days, as there are lots of (potentially dangerous) psychedelic chemicals floating around that can be easily passed off as LSD.

Mushrooms can be safer in that it's less likely that you're getting something other than what you expected. Mushrooms also last about 1/2 to 2/3 as long as LSD, a shorter ride can be desirable if it's your first PD trip. Mushrooms don't cause food poisoning (a lot of people seem to think mushrooms work by poisoning you, which is a myth), but it can cause GI discomfort a bit, basically because it excites the neurons in your guts.

A lot of people, myself included, find that LSD is a much more forgiving substance than mushrooms, although this can depend on the individual. LSD lasts much longer than shrooms, so you're in for a bigger commitment if you went that route. LSD is more clearer-minded and controlled than the chaos that is mushrooms. Those are all subjective differences though, and it all really depends on set and setting.

Which ever drug you decide on, I'd definitely encourage you to err on the side of an under-dose. It's better to have a mild and pleasant experience your first time that a scary balls-deep trip IMO.

I've been very fascinated by them for quite a while, but didn't feel that I was in the right state of mind to take them. Now that I feel like I am, I'm ready to try them. My big question is, should I do LSD or shrooms first? Some of my friends say that LSD would be better to try first because shrooms cause food poisoning and can make you feel uncomfortable. And that is the last thing you want during your trip. But on the other hand, my friends have told me that shrooms. have a better body high. What would you people recommend to use between the two psychedelics when tripping for your first time?

This may get closed because technically it's not harm reductions and "what drugs should I take" threads are prohibited....buuuttt.....

I've never had LSD, and plus you don't know what to trust as real LSD these days anyway. It's so easy to buy some bullshit RC off the internet, dissolve it in water, and either spray it on tabs or drip into sugar cubes. If you eat this little tab of paper and it makes you trip out, must be LSD right? :(

I'd say go for the shrooms first, but do it right. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you have to eat large quantities for it to work, that is untrue. A mushroom trip should not include nausea and discomfort, if it does you probably took too much or didn't eat enough food. They also aren't like MDMA where timing is everything, you can ease yourself into the trip with small doses and you shouldn't be constrained for time anyway, clear your schedule. I eat mushrooms all the time, and here's how I do it and avoid all stomach issues, anxiety, discomfort, or negative effects whatsoever and just have the best Friday nights at home imaginable:

- Find a trip sitter who will hang out with you and be there just in-case. They should either be very experienced with the drug and taking a similar/smaller dose than you, or preferably be sober, maybe just smoke some weed or have a couple beers while you have your experience. It's a terrible idea to trip alone, even when experienced. I'm guilty of this myself, but I've never ever intentionally had an intense experience when alone, only threshold.
- Eat a good, moderately filling, healthy meal of one of your favorite comfort foods and hour or two before the trip. Don't stuff your face. It is important to eat something that you love, it is a great natural way to improve your mindset pre-trip.
- Drink water constantly, but no need to guzzle or obsess, just keep it flowing.
- About an hour or two after your meal, start with ~1g of caps and stems.
- Put on music that you like and distract yourself with an activity, clean the kitchen, do your hobby, play guitar, etc.. Don't sit there and wonder "do I feel it yet?", that will trip you out. Don't worry, you'll know when they're on.
- Keep an eye on the clock, time will begin to seemingly slow down to where it feels like hours since you last looked at the clock, but it's really only been a few minutes. When time begins to dilate like that, these are the first alerts, they're in you now!
- Once time dilates, go lay down or something and surf your mind. Try to evaluate the changes in your perception of the music, your familiar environment, your flow of thoughts, etc.. If negative thoughts come, don't fight them, just deal with them and keep it flowing. Bad trips come from the fear of your own mind and the attempt to fight it. Your own thoughts will never harm you, so don't fear them. Don't worry about trying to look for visuals yet, you might not see much, and if you do it won't be profound.
- About ~1.5 hours after you ingested the 1g, evaluate your state of mind. Do you feel it? Could you go for more? Is this too much? If at this point you're ready for more, eat an additional 1-1.5g of caps and stems. Eat a light snack with it.
- Continue to distract yourself with activities, don't ever try to sit there and "wait for the rush" or anything like you would on molly, it doesn't work that way. Once the trip intensifies, you might start having a more profound experience with visuals, a real change in perception of the environment, other people, animals, nature, architecture, etc.. Remember to keep aware of how long ago you ingest your doses because time can severely dilate to where 5 minutes ago can feel like hours, and you might be compelled to eat more because you're not feeling it yet. This can lead to unintentionally intense experiences which may not be what you want, especially for your first time.
- Lather, rinse, repeat until you're done and want to/need to return to earth. Remember to keep nibbling on food and drinking water throughout the trip. Mushrooms are special in that you can keep redosing all day and it will continue to work all the while being rather benign in terms of toxicity. After a few doses, they become shorter and shorter acting, which is kinda nice because as the night progresses, you may want to bump it up a notch or extend the trip a bit, but don't necessarily want to trip for another ~8+ hours as you probably would if you were re-dosing LSD. Once you become familiar with the psilocybin effects, you can literally feel them come and go, rising and falling in intensity as you ingest it, it takes effect, and then wears off in an hour or so, feels very controlled despite how "out of control" people claim mushrooms to be. Again, I think that comes from dosing too high in too short of a time span. I also find that I can sleep after a mushroom trip with no problemo, and the day-after-glow cannot be beat, feels like MDMA that lasts for a week (no joke).

This should help you avoid most stomach discomfort and anxiety, if not all of it. TREAD CAREFULLY with this advice right here, but I often will drink whiskey with my mushrooms, but sparingly. I usually have a shot or two as I ingest my first dose, kind of as a "kick off", and then maybe another later on just for fun. Any more, though, and I always find myself having a blunted trip and I end up wishing I hadn't drank at all because it feels like it could be so magical but it's being held back or distorted by the alcohol. I also find if I drink too much, I don't retain much of the enlightenment I gained during the trip. I drank wine instead on my last trip and that worked out well. Just be careful with this, and always remember the time dilation.

Weed is a great idea but beware it can potentially intensify the trip. Usually I smoke a bowl a little bit after my second dose, this seems to really launch me into wonderland. Visuals usually start after I introduce weed.

Last edited:
This may get closed because technically it's not harm reductions and "what drugs should I take" threads are prohibited....buuuttt.....

I've never had LSD, and plus you don't know what to trust as real LSD these days anyway. It's so easy to buy some bullshit RC off the internet, dissolve it in water, and either spray it on tabs or drip into sugar cubes. If you eat this little tab of paper and it makes you trip out, must be LSD right? :(

I'd say go for the shrooms first, but do it right. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you have to eat large quantities for it to work, that is untrue. A mushroom trip should not include nausea and discomfort, if it does you probably took too much or didn't eat enough food. They also aren't like MDMA where timing is everything, you can ease yourself into the trip with small doses and you shouldn't be constrained for time anyway, clear your schedule. I eat mushrooms all the time, and here's how I do it and avoid all stomach issues, anxiety, discomfort, or negative effects whatsoever and just have the best Friday nights at home imaginable:

- Find a trip sitter who will hang out with you and be there just in-case. They should either be very experienced with the drug and taking a similar/smaller dose than you, or preferably be sober, maybe just smoke some weed or have a couple beers while you have your experience. It's a terrible idea to trip alone, even when experienced. I'm guilty of this myself, but I've never ever intentionally had an intense experience when alone, only threshold.
- Eat a good, moderately filling, healthy meal of one of your favorite comfort foods and hour or two before the trip. Don't stuff your face. It is important to eat something that you love, it is a great natural way to improve your mindset pre-trip.
- Drink water constantly, but no need to guzzle or obsess, just keep it flowing.
- About an hour or two after your meal, start with ~1g of caps and stems.
- Put on music that you like and distract yourself with an activity, clean the kitchen, do your hobby, play guitar, etc.. Don't sit there and wonder "do I feel it yet?", that will trip you out. Don't worry, you'll know when they're on.
- Keep an eye on the clock, time will begin to seemingly slow down to where it feels like hours since you last looked at the clock, but it's really only been a few minutes. When time begins to dilate like that, these are the first alerts, they're in you now!
- Once time dilates, go lay down or something and surf your mind. Try to evaluate the changes in your perception of the music, your familiar environment, your flow of thoughts, etc.. If negative thoughts come, don't fight them, just deal with them and keep it flowing. Bad trips come from the fear of your own mind and the attempt to fight it. Your own thoughts will never harm you, so don't fear them. Don't worry about trying to look for visuals yet, you might not see much, and if you do it won't be profound.
- About ~1.5 hours after you ingested the 1g, evaluate your state of mind. Do you feel it? Could you go for more? Is this too much? If at this point you're ready for more, eat an additional 1-1.5g of caps and stems. Eat a light snack with it.
- Continue to distract yourself with activities, don't ever try to sit there and "wait for the rush" or anything like you would on molly, it doesn't work that way. Once the trip intensifies, you might start having a more profound experience with visuals, a real change in perception of the environment, other people, animals, nature, architecture, etc.. Remember to keep aware of how long ago you ingest your doses because time can severely dilate to where 5 minutes ago can feel like hours, and you might be compelled to eat more because you're not feeling it yet. This can lead to unintentionally intense experiences which may not be what you want, especially for your first time.
- Lather, rinse, repeat until you're done and want to/need to return to earth. Remember to keep nibbling on food and drinking water throughout the trip. Mushrooms are special in that you can keep redosing all day and it will continue to work all the while being rather benign in terms of toxicity. After a few doses, they become shorter and shorter acting, which is kinda nice because as the night progresses, you may want to bump it up a notch or extend the trip a bit, but don't necessarily want to trip for another ~8+ hours as you probably would if you were re-dosing LSD. Once you become familiar with the psilocybin effects, you can literally feel them come and go, rising and falling in intensity as you ingest it, it takes effect, and then wears off in an hour or so, feels very controlled despite how "out of control" people claim mushrooms to be. Again, I think that comes from dosing too high in too short of a time span. I also find that I can sleep after a mushroom trip with no problemo, and the day-after-glow cannot be beat, feels like MDMA that lasts for a week (no joke).

This should help you avoid most stomach discomfort and anxiety, if not all of it. TREAD CAREFULLY with this advice right here, but I often will drink whiskey with my mushrooms, but sparingly. I usually have a shot or two as I ingest my first dose, kind of as a "kick off", and then maybe another later on just for fun. Any more, though, and I always find myself having a blunted trip and I end up wishing I hadn't drank at all because it feels like it could be so magical but it's being held back or distorted by the alcohol. I also find if I drink too much, I don't retain much of the enlightenment I gained during the trip. I drank wine instead on my last trip and that worked out well. Just be careful with this, and always remember the time dilation.

Weed is a great idea but beware it can potentially intensify the trip. Usually I smoke a bowl a little bit after my second dose, this seems to really launch me into wonderland. Visuals usually start after I introduce weed.
Oh shit, I'm sorry :eek: I thought this would be considered harm reduction. But anyways, thank you very much for the advice!

I guess you should not base your conclusion upon LSD not being the one with better body high.
The mind is what you should be thinking of.
Once you´ve decided to go on and trip on acid, you need to focus on how you are going to cope with it mostly.
For starters it doesn´t really matter if it´s one thing or the other. They will both make you 'crazy'
I dislike acid because the high is more like being mentally challenged. And you don´t get to be euphoric or feeling warm and nice.
But that´s not the point. Take whatever is safer for you, meaning from someone you trust or have dealt with before.

Mushrooms don't cause food poisoning unless they're moldy or the wrong species. And neither mushrooms nor LSD is really 'body high' centred st sll.

How are you going to get these "shrooms" panda? You tend to need a good source to buy shrooms whenever you want. Similarly the LSD - that's not always the easiest thing to reliably source.

They will both make you 'crazy'
I dislike acid because the high is more like being mentally challenged. And you don´t get to be euphoric or feeling warm and nice.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this person's view of acid versus mushies. I get worse body feelings from mushies, and the high from acid is more like the feeling of gaining 1000 IQ or something. But that just goes to show these drugs can drastically vary in subjective experience.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this person's view of acid versus mushies. I get worse body feelings from mushies, and the high from acid is more like the feeling of gaining 1000 IQ or something. But that just goes to show these drugs can drastically vary in subjective experience.

You're right, everyone experiences things differently, however I think what he was trying to say is that the 'body high' should be the least of one's concerns when approaching a psychedelic. Personally, mushrooms give me an ecstatic body high similar to MDMA but not as pushy, but that's not what I consume them particularly for.

How are you going to get these "shrooms" panda? You tend to need a good source to buy shrooms whenever you want. Similarly the LSD - that's not always the easiest thing to reliably source.
A very trustworthy friend.