• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bupe First time taking it - what dose to start with?

OpialiciouslyMe

Bluelighter
The title pretty much sums up my question.
I got hold of a pack of buprenorphine only sublingual tabs.
They're 8mg. I figured since my daily dosage of opioids is something like 1440mg of dhc plus some morphine atm that 2mg should be ok to start with? I mean in a day I get to take that much. I could do more if I had more stuff right now but I'm out of oxycodone so have been using dhc for the time being with morphine when I feel like it.
I've got heroin but haven't touched it so far and I need something that will bring me to next week when I get paid and a box of buprenorphine will last comfortably till then and probably much longer. I've got enough heroin for a couple of sessions at the most.
Thanks for any help with the dosage in advance.
I know about precipitated withdrawal and basic info about the buprenorphine so don't worry about advising about that.

I understand you have some basic information, but I don't want you to minimize the fact that Buprenorpine induction is a fairly-complex process if you want to get it right i.e. minimize discomfort and suffering. You're taking moderate-heavy dosages of short-acting Opioid agonists right now, which is part of what makes it difficult. I just don't want you to think that Buprenorphine is as simple as waking up one morning and switching it for your usual dosage of Dihydrocodeine or Morphine.

You are going to have to wait until you're experiencing significant withdrawal to avoid the possibility of Precipitated Withdrawal. I usually advise people to start off with very miniscule dosages. This is often referred to as "Micro-Dosing", which is shared terminology with the psychedelic community. I would advise starting with something very low like 0.5mg Buprenorphine to test the waters. Wait and see how this makes you feel. If it was too early, you will pretty quickly start to experience withdrawal symptoms, although not as severe as had you taken a higher dose. 2mg Buprenorphine is nothing to sneeze at.

I am not trying to lecture you, because I know that's not what you want, but I want you at least warn you to make sure you have all relevant information prior to actually trying to induct with it.

I understand you have some basic information, but I don't want you to minimize the fact that Buprenorpine induction is a fairly-complex process if you want to get it right i.e. minimize discomfort and suffering. You're taking moderate-heavy dosages of short-acting Opioid agonists right now, which is part of what makes it difficult. I just don't want you to think that Buprenorphine is as simple as waking up one morning and switching it for your usual dosage of Dihydrocodeine or Morphine.

You are going to have to wait until you're experiencing significant withdrawal to avoid the possibility of Precipitated Withdrawal. I usually advise people to start off with very miniscule dosages. This is often referred to as "Micro-Dosing", which is shared terminology with the psychedelic community. I would advise starting with something very low like 0.5mg Buprenorphine to test the waters. Wait and see how this makes you feel. If it was too early, you will pretty quickly start to experience withdrawal symptoms, although not as severe as had you taken a higher dose. 2mg Buprenorphine is nothing to sneeze at.

I am not trying to lecture you, because I know that's not what you want, but I want you at least warn you to make sure you have all relevant information prior to actually trying to induct with it.
Thanks for the reply and the concern.
Yep, In know I need to be in real withdrawal before I take any bupe. Right now I have teary eyes and I am yawning, which are all symptoms but I am not withdrawing badly yet so I was gonna wait until I feel the restless legs thing and/or aches, then I should be good to go.
I was more concerned with what dosage to start because I know bupe is a lot more potent than morphine for example. I don't wanna take too much.
I think a whole 8mg is too much for me definitely. I think I can comfortably split the tab in 4 so each quarter is 2mg but I don't think I can realistically split the 2mg quarter in 4 other quarters. I cannot get 2mg tabs. My source only does the 8mg ones. They have to be what gets me till my payday so I can get more of my regular opioids of choice. I've got no more money to spend on opioids for now.
All I want to is avoid withdrawal this week as I cannot face work in withdrawal. Tried and it was agony with my back, especially, killing me. I am not interested in getting high at the moment.

Less than .25mg, so roughly ~250ug.

Weigh a pill, crush it evenly, mix evenly, then snort/sublingual a weighed amount equivalent to 250ug. That's what I do. Anything higher and you're on your way to puke city if you're not switching from heroin or fentadope. Work up from there, it's a long lasting opioid that tends to be most pleasurable when you're addicted to it daily (rehab my ass).

All I know is if you knock 1400 mg of DHC off your receptors you’re gonna be in a world of pain. But yes 2-4 mg should be plenty to hold you all day once you are 2-3 days off of DHC

Weigh a pill, crush it evenly, mix evenly, then snort/sublingual a weighed amount equivalent to 250ug. That's what I do. Anything higher and you're on your way to puke city if you're not switching from heroin or fentadope. Work up from there, it's a long lasting opioid that tends to be most pleasurable when you're addicted to it daily (rehab my ass).
Well my dhc atm is like taking 80mg of oxy 4 times a day. At least for my body
I have done heroin and have got it to do right now and also have done fentanyl as a patch (50mcg), which I hardly felt anything from and it wasn't bunk stuff. I think I needed a bigger dosage.
1440mg of dhc is about 48 30mg dhc pills. It's like doing hundreds of milligrams of morphine a day.
Don't underestimate dhc. If you take half a box of 100 tabs a day like me it's nothing different from a small heroin habit. I also do morphine liquid on top of that.
Anyway I feel sufficiently bad now that I have taken 2mg sublingually. I'll let you all know how this goes.
I have a friend who was doing dhc like me. Maybe double my dosages and he got put on 16mg of subs at rehab. I don't know for sure he actually was put on that but that's what he says. I had my doubts too.

EDIT
Been over an hour and I am not in precipitated withdrawal at least but I still feel stomach cramps. Maybe I need more bupe. Anyway I'll give it till midnight UK time and see how I feel.

Last edited:

That would have not been anywhere near enough.
I've ended up taking 4mg in total to feel ok. I am happy to report that I had no precipitated withdrawal. No puking or anything from the bupe. I could actually tolerate more if I wanted to but I won't take more than necessary.
It's been 8 hrs or so from the second lot of 2mg and I am a bit unsure of when to redose for the day as I am feeling like when my dose is wearing off but I know bupe has a very long half life so it should last a day at least.
I'll probably redose 4mg today in total but not close together so I'm tricked into thinking I'm covered better that way from withdrawal.
Sorry for the double post but I wanted to update!

Last edited:
Awesome. We are all glad to hear that. It's a tricky process doing it right, but it gets easier to discern if and when to use Buprenorphine after previous experience with it. Was that a typo "taking hundreds of grams of Morphine a day"? There is a lot of conjecture out there regarding the relative strength of Dihydrocodeine compared to other Opioids. Dihydrocodeine has never had anywhere near the popularity that Codeine has had. That's not to say it's uncommon, just that Codeine is much more commonly used presently and historically.

At any rate, you're looking at a conversion factor of about .25 compared to Codeine's .10-.15 relative to Morphine. It's definitely more potent and your tolerance is not small, but you're not taking several hundred grams a day Morphine equivalent. I just thought you would want to know.

Awesome. We are all glad to hear that. It's a tricky process doing it right, but it gets easier to discern if and when to use Buprenorphine after previous experience with it. Was that a typo "taking hundreds of grams of Morphine a day"? There is a lot of conjecture out there regarding the relative strength of Dihydrocodeine compared to other Opioids. Dihydrocodeine has never had anywhere near the popularity that Codeine has had. That's not to say it's uncommon, just that Codeine is much more commonly used presently and historically.

At any rate, you're looking at a conversion factor of about .25 compared to Codeine's .10-.15 relative to Morphine. It's definitely more potent and your tolerance is not small, but you're not taking several hundred grams a day Morphine equivalent. I just thought you would want to know.
Dihydrocodeine is about twice the strength of codeine and so about a fifth the strength of oral morphine.
Don't go by equivalence charts because in the UK ones where they show dhc, they tend to consider codeine, dhc and tramadol all a tenth the potency of oral morphine in the charts and that is not what real usage is like.
I had a reddit sub with lots of fellow dhc hard-core users who all experienced the same as me in real life.
My almost 1440mg a day are about 700mg or oral morphine daily. I'm estimating of course.
I have had plenty of oral morphine and it's really weak and not that much stronger in reality than dhc. I actually find it quite crap orally. I can go through Zomorph capsules or Oramorph like nothing.
I might have written grams instead of milligrams. Pardon lol. I'll change it in the other post. That was a typo.
You're American I think and I assume have not got much experience with dhc. It's not as weak as codeine.
Anyway if I used heroin only i could probably do half a gram a day easily. Not a huge habit I know but it's enough to warrant subs I think.
I found in general some opioid users, especially the heroin only addicts, think you can't have that bad of a withdrawal using just the weaker opioids. It all depends on the dosages. Not talking about anyone on this thread but in general.
Yep, if you take 60mg of codeine as prescribed then that might be true but I've had people confess to me of taking ridiculous dosages and I remember that guy on here who would do a gram of codeine at once. That's not any different than heroin when the dosage is high enough. I mean in terms of withdrawal potential.
I just wanted to clarify that you can have the equivalent of a smallish heroin habit even with weak stuff if you take ridiculous amounts. Just for those who might underestimate weak opioids in general when it comes to withdrawal.
I've used plenty of oxycodone mixed with morphine and even heroin. I do like to experience everything to get know the substances. I'll take oxycodone or a big dose of dhc over smoked heroin but that's me. I'm weird like that.

I wanted to ask something if I haven't been too annoying with my rambling.
My original intention was to take 4mg in total today. 2mg in the morning then 2mg before I go to work at 10pm.
I did 2mg and I started getting a runny nose for some reason like you do in the withdrawal beginning stage, so I took the other 2mg. Is it maybe because bupe hasn't built up enough in my blood to keep me feeling ok for the supposed half life it has? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited:
Just an update so I apologise for the double post.
I had to use the whole 8mg in a day to feel ok in the end.
The tiny dosage suggested by someone on this thread wouldn't have done a thing for me. Even if I'm not a hardcore heroin injector or something like that.
I had no puking whatsoever on buprenorphine. I tolerated it very well.
I could have done more actually because even on 8mg I had occasional diarrhea (sorry for the TMI). I've decided to go back to my normal opioids now I have used it all up.
It's been 36hrs or so from my last bupe dose and I am unsure now of when to start using my usual stuff. I don't wanna waste it. The obvious thing is to wait for bupe withdrawal I guess but if I can take some good stuff earlier than that it'd be better.

Just an update so I apologise for the double post.
I had to use the whole 8mg in a day to feel ok in the end.
The tiny dosage suggested by someone on this thread wouldn't have done a thing for me. Even if I'm not a hardcore heroin injector or something like that.
I had no puking whatsoever on buprenorphine. I tolerated it very well.
I could have done more actually because even on 8mg I had occasional diarrhea (sorry for the TMI). I've decided to go back to my normal opioids now I have used it all up.
It's been 36hrs or so from my last bupe dose and I am unsure now of when to start using my usual stuff. I don't wanna waste it. The obvious thing is to wait for bupe withdrawal I guess but if I can take some good stuff earlier than that it'd be better.
well iv been on bupe for 8 years just stopped taking it 2 days ago,iv now been prescribed codeine 30mg i was snorting the bupe as i came down from 12mg to 0.4 mg and to be honest the rattle was the same so i bought some kratom when it was legal in uk and this will be my 2nd day on it as im a wee bit scared to take the codeine yet as i might go in to presip withdrawal im thinking tomorow morning i could take the codeine as that would be going in to the 3rd day,how did you get on ? my advice would stick with the dhc over the bupe as it is horrid long term took all my weight off me my appetite turned me in to a hermit so i know the codeine is far weaker but bupe is poison

well iv been on bupe for 8 years just stopped taking it 2 days ago,iv now been prescribed codeine 30mg i was snorting the bupe as i came down from 12mg to 0.4 mg and to be honest the rattle was the same so i bought some kratom when it was legal in uk and this will be my 2nd day on it as im a wee bit scared to take the codeine yet as i might go in to presip withdrawal im thinking tomorow morning i could take the codeine as that would be going in to the 3rd day,how did you get on ? my advice would stick with the dhc over the bupe as it is horrid long term took all my weight off me my appetite turned me in to a hermit so i know the codeine is far weaker but bupe is poison
I finished the box of buprenorphine I had then went back to morphine, oxy and dhc. Buprenorphine just didn't seem to hold me well even at 8mg a day.
You only go into precipitated withdrawal if you take bupe when on other opioids. Taking codeine or oxy or whatever else after bupe won't give you withdrawal instead. The risk is just that the bupe overpowers the codeine because the codeine won't affect the receptors yet if bupe is still attached. So wait till you're starting to withdraw from the bupe a little to go back to other opioids. Just so you don't waste them.
You should be good to go after 3 days off bupe and you should be able to feel the codeine, even if I think 30 mg of codeine is really nothing if you've used other stuff.

I finished the box of buprenorphine I had then went back to morphine, oxy and dhc. Buprenorphine just didn't seem to hold me well even at 8mg a day.
You only go into precipitated withdrawal if you take bupe when on other opioids. Taking codeine or oxy or whatever else after bupe won't give you withdrawal instead. The risk is just that the bupe overpowers the codeine because the codeine won't affect the receptors yet if bupe is still attached. So wait till you're starting to withdraw from the bupe a little to go back to other opioids. Just so you don't waste them.
You should be good to go after 3 days off bupe and you should be able to feel the codeine, even if I think 30 mg of codeine is really nothing if you've used other stuff.
thank you for that info on the codeine im glad you are not taking the bupe iim prescribed 8 30mg a day and to be honest i dont care about a buzz im just glad to get off the bupe after so many years cheers jock

thank you for that info on the codeine im glad you are not taking the bupe iim prescribed 8 30mg a day and to be honest i dont care about a buzz im just glad to get off the bupe after so many years cheers jock
I'm prescribed codeine too officially for pain but I almost have to take a whole box of 28 tabs at a time these days to feel it.
Take care!

Start as low, up slow. I'm assuming intranasal?

How much have you been dabbling in stronger opiates?
Is it a daiy habit?

If so, don't expect much of a "high" from the bupe. That phenomenal high you can get from it is when you haven't been doing say, oxy or heroin regularly.

1-1.5mg, if that doesn't get you where you want, I'd add 0.5mg.

Personally, going over 2mg has never really done much positive for me.