Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

First time smoking DMT - need advice

tlvguy33

Greenlighter
Hi all,
So I was able to get some quality DMT (or at least do the recommendations say). I plan on taking the standard 40-50 mg, and even got a scale. A friend will trip sit me so that I don't get too scared.
My problem is that I don't have much experience with bongs, pipes, etc. I was always pretty weak with bongs and was never able to finish off the weed like others. Also, didn't smoke from a bong in the last 10 years or so.
I'm 35, healthy, not overweight and no health issues that I know of. Have experience with LSD and shrooms (and coke, MDMA and weed but that's less related).

How would you recommend to smoke it, and what kind of pipe/bong should I get? I read plenty of recommendations about putting some cigarette ash with the DMT, or some herbs or weed and I really can't tell what's best.

Please start from the beginning, I know pretty much nothing about it, usually smoking joints.

Thanks, your help is appreciated!

I always just used a bong, with a small amount of weed as base. Pack the weed into the bottom of the cone/bowl, put layer of DMT and then another layer of weed/herb over that. I tried to just get the top layer lit and then stopped applying flame, relying on the burning plant for actual DMT burning. You need to have some experience and feel for smoking a bong though, so try and practise. It takes a bit of time to learn how to modulate the intensity of your inhalations and this is really needed to ensure the DMT doesn't get too hot and burn.

In general, I don't think an incredibly sophisticated method is required.

So, tried today, no real success but I got better.
I bought a small pipe, just a short one with a round bowl at the end.
First attempt - all the smoke is blowing through the holes, I inhale almost nothing. No effect whatsoever, nothing in my lungs.
Second attempt - I taped the side hole of the pipe, but the top hole was letting plenty of smoke out. I inhaled something, got the feeling of how it should taste. Got a tinny tiny buzz that may have been all psychological, but still felt something.
Third attempt, one hour later - Side hole taped, top hole covered with a screw that sealed it nicely. Now I feel I'm inhaling something, trying to hold it in my lungs as much as possible. Again, second toke - I get that disgusting plastic taste, but I feel it mostly on my lips and not in my lungs. Still, I get some smoke, at one point I'm starting to fear that I'm smoking the screw (I wasn't). 2-3 more tokes, and now the room is floating. Everything in the room is breathing and slightly changing colors, but I know this isn't going to get me to the other side. 2-3 minutes of resting, everything is nice and buzzy and I call it a day.

I still have enough for 2 more tries, I'll do that some other time (and update here of course).
Stay tuned :)

I still have enough for 2 more tries, I'll do that some other time (and update here of course).

Then make sure you don't waste what little you have left: heed Pirre's advice and read about "the machine". It costs very little and works wonders.

edit after 5th attempt

Alright, 4th attempt - almost there!
I closed the top hole with some tinfoil (even remembered to heat it first until it stopped smoking).
1st toke - not enough, nothing in lungs. 2nd - something. 3rd - tastes like plastic. 4th - lots of air, starting to feel it. After the 5th one I stopped, everything started buzzing, has crazy geometry visuals.
When I closed my eyes I saw this blue flying saucer, not very detailed. I felt out of my body, and it was very weird. I had no idea who is this Johnny Doe that's lying there. I heard myself breathing but didn't feel I'm breathing.
Very weird and I enjoyed it. When I tried to open my eyes I saw again crazy geometry that forced me to close it. However, the fact I was able to open them probably means I wasn't under such influence.
It didn't feel like a breakthrough, I'm sure I'll know when it hits me hard.
Next attempt in 1 hour.

Edit - 5th attempt:
I don't think I had much left, didn't measure in that last time.
Smoked it ok, got a really nice buzz and I felt like the sofa is a boat and the whole room is made of water.
No breakthrough this time, next batch in a few weeks.

I think I'll go for a high dose, like 100mg, knowing that I'm wasting a lot more than the average smoker due to my lack of experience as a bong smoker.

Overall I'm happy with where I got, that 4th attempt and out of body feeling was very unique, never had that before.

Last edited:
That thread on vaping at the nexus is awesome

That is the future for sure for vaping powdered drugs....

Indeed. My friends and I all bought a vape, 2 of em already tried it for DMT, and they both said it was 'too easy'. Just drip, toke, and off you go. I still found the smoke too harsh, but I got a pretty good mod, with the right wire I can set the temperature of the coils with a 5°C accuracy, that should do the trick for my virgin lungs :)

That's interesting, vaping it. I kinda got lost in that thread, does anyone have a recommendation for a good vape I could use?
I'm not sure if they gave a specific product to go for, and I get lost when I have too many options.

Thanks!

The one I've seen recommended a few times, and that I ended up buying myself, is the Joyetech evic vtc mini. I'm very happy with it :)

At the moment prebuild coils in a kanger toptank mini. Great stuff, though I don't really like how there's liquid left in the bottom when I start getting dry hits.
I ordered me this one: https://www.fasttech.com/p/2137600 and some items to get me started with building & wicking my own coils. That's where the real fun begins, and once I got it down I'll start experimenting with DMT too.

I'm not there yet ;) but I'm working towards it. Thankfully our newest tripbuddy has a lot of experience (he's the one that got my friends and I into vaping) so I'll have a good source to learn from.

I would like to recomend a cheap hashoil rig or a glass straw used for dabbing oil as well. They have worked wonders for me. Once you get the temp right it is awesome because it all vapes at the same time making it more effective IMO.

The Machine is definitely the way to go, easy to make, costs next to nothing and very efficient. First couple times I did DMT through bongs/pipes etc. 40mg got me a buzz, first attempt with the machine, 30mg threw me into an intense 5 Dimensional geometrical realm with alien figures interacting with me and was very intense (not quite a breakthrough though).

All you need is a small glass bottle with a main section and neck, clean out this bottle, remove lid. Drill a small hole in the center/bottom of the bottle using a special drill piece, so for the bottle you have the neck, chamber, and breathing hole down the bottom. Then all you need to do is buy some steel wool (like what you might use to scrub dishes), cut it into a relatively small piece, burn it to get rid of all the coating (don't want to breath in that shit), scrunch into ball and shove into the neck. This is your finished product, ready for loading

To load, hold the bottle upright with the neck and steel wool up the top. Put some spice on top of the steel wool then slowly nudge a lighter towards it until it liquefies and seeps into the wool in which you can turn it upside down and it wont drip/fall out. The device is now ready and loaded, just start inhaling through the hole down the bottom as you light the wool via the neck opening. The wool will light up and vaporize the spice. You will see a large puff of cloudy white smoke/vapor which goes down a treat and packs a punch. You might need to light a couple times over a few tokes as it surprisingly yields a huge amount of smoke.

Definitely a worth it investment, will make you trip hard and cringe at how much you have wasted using less effective methods.