• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

First Time Psychedelic With Anxiety and Depression - Is it safe?

alex41

Greenlighter
Hello!

My girlfriend is extremely interested in psychedelics and has been wanting to try them for a while. She has done a lot of research on them and preparation. I of course would like to introduce them to her, especially because she is so interested, I just have some concerns that make me a little nervous. She has had chronic anxiety and depression for the past few years. Recently she has been making serious progress to the point where they are almost a thing of the past, but she isn't completely free of it. She really wants to use psychedelics as not only a spiritual tool, but as a way to learn more about herself and move on from her past for good. I am very nervous though that she will react badly to the trip because of her anxiety and/or depression. She has smoked weed many times, at first she would have panic attacks every time she smoked it, but now she seems to enjoy it. She has also rolled a couple times, and obviously had a good time on that. Anyways, my questions are:

1)Is there any significant increased risk of her having a bad trip because of her conditions?
2) Would someone with these conditions be much more likely to be scarred from a bad trip or would it just be a bad trip just like any other with possible therapeutic value?
3) What psychedelic would you suggest she start out with? I have access to Mushrooms, Mescaline, LSA, and LSD (although these tabs are extremely potent, so I don't think it is possible to have a mild trip on them)
4) What dosage would you recommend she start out with?
5) Any other suggestions that would help assure she has a good experience?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks ^_^

1) as long she always keeps in mind (during the trip) that the trip serves her as a mind opening tool and she does this for exploration/fun ... chances are she will have a good time.
2) I can't tell for sure she won't be negatively effected by a trip without knowing her other psychological factors. Bear in mind, if she is in a depressive or anxious mindset before tripping, it will probably get worse for her, because of the nature of psychedelics that exacerbate current feelings. Even if she suffers from chronic anxiety, just make sure she is feeling very comfortable, safe without any anxious thoughts before dropping the acid.
3) That depends mostly on the person. While mushrooms bring you a more short lived, 4-6 hours trip it can be more exacerbating and introspective than acid. a light dose of LSD seems more fitting to me because IME it's easier to drift into a bad trip on shrooms than on acid, but it lasts much longer. Shrooms can also induce nauseau and a heavier bodyload than acid.

I have never tried Mescaline, but I will anytime soon ;) But I heard mescaline is not very introspective/ thought provoking and philosophical than acid/shrooms. It's somewhat a psychedelic but it's more similar to Mdma because of it's chemical similarities (it's a phenethylamine). So, you should let her try shrooms/acid first.

4) 150ug / 2 grams of shrooms

5) Make sure she has acces to good quality headphones during the trip. Listening to music on a trip is always mind-blowing and soul-touching. It can also drift you into a better mindstate when having a somewhat negative thought loop. Tripping outside is much better than inside imo. Tripping in an empty park or just in nature is so much more a good experience.

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.

With any kind of intense, excessively abnormal, traumatic, or even in some cases with seemingly average experiences, there is always a chance that you will see something you can never unsee. Your girlfriend must decide for herself whether that is a risk she is willing to take. I know people diagnosed with depression and anxiety, and plenty else who deal with depression and anxiety but never diagnosed, who use psychedelics just fine; in fact, who use psychedelics as partly constituting alternative methods of dealing with their depression/anxiety. I am completely unconfident that this is any basis for saying anything about your specific situation. Your girlfriend must decide for herself what she takes the risks to be, what she is willing to stake on this, and how deep the commitment will go. If the psychedelics go deeper than the commitment, she could very well see something she'll never unsee, and regret it.

The only thing after making that kind of existential commitment is to ensure that she is not on any medications that will have bad interactions with the psychedelic in question.

Set and setting means something like my house sucks or I'm hungry as fuck this week.

You said she reasarched.

Tripping is an amplification. There is alteration, but this is only a subjective interpretation of the neurotransmitters firing.

I've always thought 1.75 grams shrooms the best starting place.

No, she shouldn't do it. Get herself together first.

You do know that you can, like... cut the tabs, right?

My girlfriend used to struggle with depression, though she pulled out of it about 2 years ago and has been fine for quite some time. I was hesitant to give her LSD, but she insisted she wanted to try it. She ended up doing a moderate dose in a comfortable setting with a close friend and greatly enjoyed herself. I suppose everyone is different and there is absolutely no way to predict people's reactions. Psychedelics cause quite a variety of effects, just looking around here on bluelight shows how much of a variance there truly is with every psychedelic drug.

I struggle from anxiety and depression and I love LSD.
Id say there cant be any unresolved or idk how to say.. any thoughts shes avoiding because its more than likely going to surface.
So idk just be as mentally prepared and make sure shes only with good people with meeeelllooo vibes.
if all else fails bring some E.
Always brings me out of a bad trip

Also side note although I love cid I cant do mushrooms because my anxiety completely overwhelms and consumes me so maybe stay away from that.