• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

First time making bho

tflynnsl18

Greenlighter
This is my first run ever I vacuumed for 24 hours at 70-85 degrees what do u think guys

Attachments

• received_2379039632366694.jpeg
    received_2379039632366694.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 11
  • received_357712661533250.jpeg
    received_357712661533250.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 10
  • received_337766463549856.jpeg
    received_337766463549856.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for sharing. I've definitely seen worse homemade BHO, so not bad for your first time.

I've never made my own BHO, the possibility of explosions is a little too high for my liking. It's worth noting that some legal or medical states allow you to give your harvest (trim, bud, etc) to a licensed producer to make your concentrates for you at minimal cost.

Good luck!

I was wondering if anyone has any info on refineing it more I've heard using ethanol just not sure of ration

Hopefully someone with BHO experience will chime in, but I can tell you from using ethanol in other extractions that it should work at least somewhat. I would guess to only use enough ethanol to dissolve the solution.

Wow very cool. I'll probably never bother making my own, just getting it pre-made is good enough for me. But very impressive.

As per quality that could be ok to decent, you have to do it to find out. Color isn't an indicator as much as one might want it to be. I've had very bad bright BHO before.
Enjoy!

Thanks guys I can get some local here but it always looks like sugar and doesn't break down well with my farm to vape it dissolves but leaves behind these shard looking clear crystals almost like meth ? I know it not tho lol. So I figure make my own I get zipe for cheap it's last year harvest tho so it's never super fresh tasting. I've been doing alot of quick wash grain alcohol Wash's but figured I'd try bho def alot easier that's for sure. Would like to see what I can do with some new nice nugs

You are going to want to look up "bho winterization", which involves using anhydrous ethanol, cold temperatures, and filtration to remove more plant matter. The basic process involves dissolving the BHO into ethanol, then bringing the temperature of the solution down as low as possible(dry ice+ethanol or cryo is ideal, home freezer will work). As the temperature drops, the fats and lipids will start to solidify and fall out of solution, and they can then be filtered out. You will then purge the solution of the ethanol in the same manner you would purge butane(keeping similar safety protocols in mind, namely VENTILLATION).

This can be done with cookware likely found at home, like glass cups, coffee filters, and rubber bands. The process is made much easier with simple lab tools like a buchnuer funnel.

While you have the bho dissolved in the ethanol, you can also perform what is called "color remediation", which is a process that uses absorbent materials to remove the pigments from the solvent, leaving a very clear final product. This is often referred to as "CRC tek" or "Color Remediation Column Tek". This step is a little more complex and might be difficult to do at home on a budget.

You could potentially skip this step, depending on your end goal, by just getting your material and solvent cold enough during extraction so it won't pull lipids as well.

The meth like crystals you mention is likely THCA crystals. Due to the molecular properties of THCA, it tends to crystalize when in high enough purity. This is one of the reasons why its decarboxylated isomers, d8 and d9 THC, is used in vapes as it tends to behave as a highly viscous oil, especially when diluted with terpenes or other cutting agents.