Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

First time injecting intramuscularly DMT

ros1816

Bluelighter
This is a difficult thread to start.

Ive drawn a lot of criticism from some recent posts on this forum.

As the primary purpose of this website/forum is harm reduction though I would like some help/guidance.

My plan is to inject 300mg of DMT freebase - or what is now 500mg of fumurate intramuscularly [we are thinking the shoulder is the best bet to reach muscle not fat].

I have been through roughly 3 grams of vapourised DMT freebase and seen some mild visuals. I have tried potentiating with acid, 2cb, 2ce and ketamine but without markedly stronger results. I seem to have my heart set on experiencing something truly phenomenal.

My girlfriend has created the fumurate from DMT freebase that we have not extracted ourself. [Im sure I
will attract a lot of criticism for injecting something we have not extracted ourselves and recrystallized ourselves multiple times]

I have never injected drugs before and have a dislike of needles - I can handle IM but not IV.

Our safety precautions are as follows:
-sterile needles and syringes [brand new]
-will make up injectable solution using sterile saline [from disposable contact lenses]
-will sterilise a spoon by dipping in acetone then setting fire to the acetone on the spoon
-shouldn't be necessary to filter before injecting because there won't be any lumps or bits

I am aware the lethal dose of DMT is around 10 grams [or more for a 114kg individual] but I am still obviously worried about infection.

Im sure the majority of responses will say 'don't do it' but given I am clearly a risk taking and obsessive personality, what further precautions can i take?

Hey :)

Whether you need to inject in the shoulder (deltoid I assume you mean) or can just inject in quads or other major muscles depends on how fat you are and how long your needles are.

3 Grams of DMT for mild visuals? It seems that either your smoking technique is ineffective or you are getting bad quality DMT (or smoked that 3 grams in super tiny increments) because it normally is super intense. The very real possibility that your DMT is low grade is worrisome and you should ask your gf to recrystallize the DMT for you. It is not a lot of work at all. Upon evaporation, try to filter out crystals really quickly without allowing much solvent to redissolve them, those biggest crystals should be relatively okay quality. If you just evaporate everything you will have gotten rid of no impurities.

Do not inject random unknown impurities into your muscles.

And 300 mg is a way too high dose of DMT to inject. Some people do say that it isn't really as potent to IM as you might think but starting out with 300 mg is certainly not a wise plan.

Actually it is quite necessary to filter with a 0.2 micron wheel filter at the very least, because most DMT is extracted and as such can contain (semi)insoluble gunk from the plant material. You do not want that in your muscle. I am personally very skeptical about the safety of injecting (especially IM) extracted DMT but if you are set on doing that you should really microfilter it with a 0.2 micron wheel filter. Unless you want something like an abscess which is a really fucked up scary affliction. So yes you should be worried about infection.
Besides plant gunk, there are also pathogens like bacteria and fungi just flying around in the air pretty much everywhere even though we can't see it. And there is also bound to be stuff like that in your DMT. The wheel filter can basically take care of it.

Do NOT use contact lense saline, it also contains stuff like boric acid and more chemicals that are all not suitable for injection. Honestly there are alternatives available pretty easily, even destilled / demineralized water is better if you can't find actual bacteriostatic water or 0.9% saline solution.

Don't skip out on necessary safety measures, if you can't get yourself to do something safely you shouldn't start with it. Don't fool yourself by telling yourself that you are risk taking and obsessive. Maybe you are but to start with a disclaimer saying that is really making excuses to justify irresponsible behavior.
You are on a harm reduction forum so again: no, people will not limit themselves to giving you responses that you find pleasant. Dude we are not trying to make you feel bad, we are looking out for you.
This is 'playing' with seriously strong drugs and potentially hazardous methods of administering them, if you want to dabble in that you will have to face the criticism and advice people will give you so that you can proceed relatively safely. Which is pretty much exactly why you are posting this here in the first place.

wheel filter:

41QXhWREjkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

^What's wrong with boric acid? I've injected preservative free heat-cleaning lens solution many times before with no noticeable issues/irritation. I agree the none preservative free stuff is bad though. From the boric acid Wiki page, indicating it's toxic but only in high quantities (like many other substances, like flouride toothpaste):
Based on mammalian median lethal dose (LD50) rating of 2,660 mg/kg body mass, boric acid is poisonous if taken internally or inhaled in large quantities. The Thirteenth Edition of the Merck Index indicates that the LD50 of boric acid is 5.14 g/kg for oral dosages given to rats, and that 5 to 20 g/kg has produced death in adult humans
I agree 300mg is too much. I've used synthetic DMT IM at 50mg and thought it was a good dose for a mild plus three on Shulgin's scale. 300mg would have been really intense and long lasting. If you inject you should also not inject that much in one spot. Stagger the dose (leaving many minutes between each injection to see how intense it's getting) and split it between a few injection places.

1. you either have junk "DMT", an extremely bad vaping technique or a singular tolerance to DMT

2. point 1. aside: the idea of injecting 300mg of DMT is simply unworthy of discussion. I suggest you start with 30. under normal circumstances this dose should already yield "truly phenomenal" effects.

3. do not inject extracted material of unknown purity

4. but if you do: IV is significantly safer than IM

edit: damn; I'm too late. :p

Alright the boric acid itself may not be toxic, but there are also often other compounds in the solution if you will just check an info pamphlet. Do you think it is appropriate to use for IM? I personally don't know if that stuff is supposed to be okay ending up in your blood.. IMHO seems like bad practice.

About dosing a lot of DMT into one muscle: I don't know how much fumaric acid you used to salt your DMT but at much much lower doses (like single digit milligrams) I find 5-MeO-DMT that I salted with citric acid pretty much stoichiometrically (meaning in 'equal' proportion so no excess) to burn a bit when I IMed it. So if you used excess fumaric acid and even if you did it adequately, that could really burn like a sonofabitch!!!

I'd say that is uncool when you are launched into hyperspace, I guess at that point you can best hope to get immersed far into the trip and severely dissociated from your body. :D

Last edited:
Alright the boric acid itself may not be toxic, but there are also often other compounds in the solution if you will just check an info pamphlet. Do you think it is appropriate to use for IM? I personally don't know if that stuff is supposed to be okay ending up in your blood.. IMHO seems like bad practice.
These are the ingredients listed on Unisol brand preservative free heat-cleaning contact solution (that's what I use): Sodium Chloride, Boric Acid, Sodium Borate. There's nothing in there I think is bad when used as common IM dosages, unless someone has some reason to think different. It's also sold as a sterile solution. I've mentioned it in the past because it's something people can pick up in a convenience store, whereas if I insisted on something like bacteriostatic water or something they'd have to put more effort and patience into I suspect many would say fuck it and use unboiled tap water or something.

Last edited:
I do IM DMT for 90% of my trips and 300 is the highest dose to date and it was INTENSE...Too high for a starting dose IMO...Too much IM and you are stuck there for 30-40 minutes...so you better like where you're going.

These are the ingredients listed on Unisol brand preservative free heat-cleaning contact solution (that's what I use): Sodium Chloride, Boric Acid, Sodium Borate. There's nothing in there I think is bad when used as common IM dosages, unless someone has some reason to think different. It's also sold as a sterile solution. I've mentioned it in the past because it's something people can pick up in a convenience store, whereas if I insisted on something like bacteriostatic water or something they'd have to put more effort and patience into I suspect many would say fuck it and use unboiled tap water or something.

Oh, I guess ingredients vary. I see: preservative free... as long as is checked and 'understood' what is in a sterile isotonic solution chosen as basis liquid I'm sure there are many liquids available that would be fine and many other liquids that would be wrong. My advice was meant to protect from that, but maybe it is fair to just ask the TS: what is in the solution you want to use?
Maybe it is my hangup that I would feel weird injecting an inorganic such as boric acid that just 'happens' to be in some solution that was grabbed.

The ideal stuff I pick up at the drugstore is sterile 0.9% sodium chloride and nothing else. It's meant to be put in infant noses.

Last edited:
This is ros1816 gf posting. About the contact lens solution- I suggested that because we already have it, and I know it's sterile. Not sure what other ingredients are in there, but I could find out. I can't quite believe that the concentration of boric acid in it would be anywhere near toxic- after all this is stuff I put in my eyes every single day!

To clarify- ros1816 has got through 3g of DMT (not on his own either) over the course of the last 4 months. Not all in one go!!

As for the purity of the DMT fumarate we made- I would have preferred to make it with stuff I had recrystallized myself, but ros1816 was impatient. The process of turning it into a fumarate involved crystallizing it from acetone- impurities and excess fumaric acid should stay in the acetone, which was poured off. The crystals of fumarate we have got are absolure beauties. Would have been better to filter, but I don't have filter paper handy. These are all things I could nick from the lab SO EASILY but ros1816 won't hear of it- he's convinced I'd get caught and get fired!

Personally I think ros1816 is worrying more about the possibility of infection which imo is low, and not enough about what injecting 300mg of powerful drugs is going to do to his brain.

3 Grams of DMT for mild visuals? It seems that either your smoking technique is ineffective or you are getting bad quality DMT (or smoked that 3 grams in super tiny increments)

Oh yes, of course I was getting through that 3 grammes in 120mg chunks. Which is meant to be an intense dose anyway. And others were going 'somewhere else' on 50mg of the stuff I was using. I mentioned the 3 grammes to say I'd vapourized DMT 30 times or so.

Oh yes, of course I was getting through that 3 grammes in 120mg chunks. Which is meant to be an intense dose anyway. And others were going 'somewhere else' on 50mg of the stuff I was using. I mentioned the 3 grammes to say I'd vapourized DMT 30 times or so.
Intense is an understatement. 120mg of vapourised DMT is a fucking insane dose. I can break through on 40mg. I can't even imagine what 120mg would be like. I suggest you work on your vaping technique.

Well of course I understand that you didn't use 3 grams in one go, but it seems like it is enough to test a wide range of dosages. I just assumed you didn't blow through 3 grams using 5 mg each time and then 'complaining about' or reporting only mild visuals... Or if not complaining whatever you want to call it if it makes you wanna inject 300 mg. And indeed you did try dosages that are supposed to be beyond intense. So I repeat: your smoking technique must be off, or it is not entirely pure.

What is the appearance of the DMT?

OK so we carried out all the necessary safety procedures and I then injected 110mg Intramuscularly into a part of the thigh (the VMO where was least fat). The needle was long enough to reach the muscle.

After 5 minutes I was really feeling it bodily then I got my usual visuals - girlfriend's face morphed gently. I was able to walk around and look at myself in the mirror. I would say this was a gentle threshold visual dose. What I liked about it was the consistency and predictability - I could take everything in. Unfortunately there wasn't that much to take in bcos not that much happened. I also feel that I was only tripping for about 10-15 minutes. Which is less than what others have reported when Intramuscualarly injected ie 30-45 mins. Bit of a disappointment so I decided to wait another 90 minutes and inject 260mg.

My girlfriend injected 260mg into the other leg. Similar threshold visuals but quite strong auditory effects that I disliked (after hearing voices for a while I asked girlfriend to look at her watch and tell me how long until the trip would be over).

Does DMT build more of a tolerance when injected than when vapourised? I would have expected the second trip to be a lot stronger (110mg is 42% as strong as 260mg after all!)

I will repeat this experiment again but with a higher first dose (300mg probably) and after a few days of no other chemicals whatsoever.

Any thoughts appreciated

I would highly recommend you inject IV rather than IM. You risk an abscess and the onset of the drug will be unpredictable. If you have a strong needle dislike, see if your girlfriend or other close friend can simply inject it for you - you don't even have to watch.

I would highly recommend you inject IV rather than IM. You risk an abscess and the onset of the drug will be unpredictable. If you have a strong needle dislike, see if your girlfriend or other close friend can simply inject it for you - you don't even have to watch.

Yes, if you really HAVE to inject it, then IV is much better than IM.

Firstly, IV is less dangerous than IM, and secondly, IV is better suited for breaking through, Rick Strassman in his study immediately switched to IV after his disappointing IM experiments where nobody broke through.

Yes, if you really HAVE to inject it, then IV is much better than IM.

Firstly, IV is less dangerous than IM, and secondly, IV is better suited for breaking through, Rick Strassman in his study immediately switched to IV after his disappointing IM experiments where nobody broke through.

Strassman didn't hit them hard enough with IM.
Yes, it takes more, but IM is superior to IV in every way...IMHO.

Use a filter wheel and be clean you'll be fine.
I've done 60mg IV and 300 IM and the 300mg IM doses were easier to integrate/navigate than any of my IV experiences.
IV is almost identical to smoking...a little slower, but not much.