View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

First time DMT, any advice?

CigarFingers

Greenlighter
Hi. Me and 9 of my friends are staying in a cottage for 3 nights in the middle of nowhere in 2 weeks time. A few of us are planning on taking DMT (Its everybodys first time). I have tried mushrooms once and LSD around 10 times so i am not so much a beginner to the psychedelic experience but i am by no means an expert either.

We are all very open minded people and we know what we are getting ourselves in to and know not to underestimate the drug. Is there any advice you guys can offer us? anything important we should know before trying it? Dose size, things to expect, things to avoid... etc etc...

Any response would be greatly appreciated!

-If you are smoking it, prepare enough for launch. At least 40mg, I would recommend 60mg for a full immersion. If taking less, you might "get stuck" in the middle of come-up and it's very uncomfortable for some.

-Make sure you have the right tools for it - good torch lighter, pipe, etc.

-Also, as soon as you rip I suggest closing eyes to avoid disorientation and let go of yourself when being asked to do so. I usually put my t shirt around my eyes to keep me completely "out there".

-With smoked DMT you don't need any external stimuli like music, light, voices, etc - silence or ambient sounds and dim lights are perfect for it.

-I suggest saying mantra or prayer before launching for self-reassurance.

That's it, be safe! ;)

I'd say just have a blast. But seriously, take set and setting into account is the most important thing. And don't expect any kind of experience to be on a particular level, just let it take you wherever it wants to take you.

A quiet respect for the person blasting off as well as trusted company. I never did DMT with anybody. I only know one person that has done it and he lives upstate with his wife.

IMO, quiet, no music. Not fully dark like a Salvia session needs but some candles. Most importantly I thank the substance before and after the session. Appreciation is a great springboard to a satisfying session.

Respect, respect, respect. Just like with Salvia a healthy respect goes a long way. (look what happens when people don't respect Salvia. It does what it wants to them, same with DMT)

Have fun and gain that knowledge!

Edit: I should say 20-23 mgs is a full immersive experience for me. I never understood how people go higher. Even 15 mgs is full on sometimes. I would start low and work your way up. Like swimming in the ocean. Ride the smaller waves first so you don't get shocked and work your way up.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. With DMT can you redose if the first time is not strong enough? (excuse my naivety) just because i know with acid if you redose it doesnt tend to do anything.

Also we were thinking about using a small bong and placing the dmt on top of a small bed of weed. Would this work or does it need to be a pipe? also most videos i see is of people burning the dmt from underneath the pipe, can the flame not directly touch the substance? or is heating it from underneath just more efficient ?

I know for me I usually only go once in a session. But it gives me a download of info to chew on for a good while. But I have went again in 20 minutes with no tolerance at all. That may not be the case with others but I do not believe in a tolerance that last more than 15 minutes.

Alos never had to do anything else than the sandwich method. Bed of spearmint or chamomile, DMT on top, then a thin layer of leaf again on top so that the flame never hits the actual DMT. Cherry it. That always works. Never had it harsh, in fact I get it all in one hit (which is a must for me) and it is smooth. Never had a need for anything fancy.

Thanks for your replies. With DMT can you redose if the first time is not strong enough? (excuse my naivety) just because i know with acid if you redose it doesnt tend to do anything.

if you don't have to worry about using up your DMT you can definitely re-dose if you don't breakthrough the first time. i've done it several times with no problems.

perhaps by the 4th and 5th attempt it'll be futile but a 2nd or 3rd time never hurt me.

A quiet respect for the person blasting off as well as trusted company. I never did DMT with anybody. I only know one person that has done it and he lives upstate with his wife.

IMO, quiet, no music. Not fully dark like a Salvia session needs but some candles. Most importantly I thank the substance before and after the session. Appreciation is a great springboard to a satisfying session.

Respect, respect, respect. Just like with Salvia a healthy respect goes a long way. (look what happens when people don't respect Salvia. It does what it wants to them, same with DMT)

Have fun and gain that knowledge!

Edit: I should say 20-23 mgs is a full immersive experience for me. I never understood how people go higher. Even 15 mgs is full on sometimes. I would start low and work your way up. Like swimming in the ocean. Ride the smaller waves first so you don't get shocked and work your way up.

This^.

Noob trippers sometimes think that "tripping someone out" is fun...it's NOT. At least not for the one tripping.
You and your friends need to stay totally quiet during each others experiences. There is plenty of time to talk and share after you're back.
I have done DMT a time or to with another, but I, too, prefer to trip alone.
The watch-word should be, as JackARoe said, "respect".
Have fun.

Just let the DMT take you, accept what's happening..first time I had a breakthrough experience I tried to fight it and I had a really scary experience but I just let go and it turned so fucking amazing instantly, just keep telling yourself "let go" if you haven't already and it will be great..

If it's your first time trying it I would recommend taking a lower dose the first time just to know kind of what to expect..its very intense and could be a little overwhelming(it was for me the first time, I wasn't expecting everything to hit within like 20 seconds)

when you smoke it, make sure the flame doesn't touch the spice, you want to vaporize it, not burn it. Just hit the bong lightly, barely sucking the flame towards the bowl. 3 hits has always blasted me off, 2 sometimes.

DMT is powerful, don't underestimate it.I don't think theres any drug you could do that could prepare you for how amazing and complex the experience is..just go with the flow

Post a trip report here when you do it!