• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

First Step to Kick Poppy seed Tea

SeedTeaOver

Greenlighter
My first step is joining here. I have been drinking it for about a year and a half and will go like 3 days in a row, then stop for 36 hours and then another 3 days, etc. I want to stop for good. Interested in hearing from folks who have kicked this successfully. How long did it take, anything help at all, imodium, gabapentin, etc? Any advice getting through the days and the nights. Please help and thanks

Hey there @SeedTeaOver
Welcome to Bluelight :)

Try checking out: Health & Recovery or The Dark Side .

Might be something worth while checking into there!

Also you can use the search function up top there, and search for specific threads or post's with 'poppy seed tea' or whatever you are looking for.

I want to stop for good.
This is a noble goal and possible. Reaching this goal will take some effort and determination... not an impossible task and not the worst situation one will go through in life, in my experience.
Welcome to bluelight. There is much written on this subject from those who are here and who have gone before. This thread provides many details, insights and options to help us accomplish cessation of opioids and is what helped me get off of the most dangerous of them... along with personal circumstances and a need to get my usage under control.
Wishing the best for your efforts and here to cheer-lead if needed (be warned I am not the attractive/sexy kinda pom-pom carrier).
Always

My first step is joining here. I have been drinking it for about a year and a half and will go like 3 days in a row, then stop for 36 hours and then another 3 days, etc. I want to stop for good. Interested in hearing from folks who have kicked this successfully. How long did it take, anything help at all, imodium, gabapentin, etc? Any advice getting through the days and the nights. Please help and thanks
Imodium and gabapentin are great choices. Kratom can be used if that's not enough. Keeping yourself hydrated and your blood sugar even with lots of fat and protein goes a long way. I have kicked just about every opiate except poppies/PST. I've heard it can be as intense as IV heroin WDs, if not worse, so get strapped in, because it will be rough. Not impossible, though. Get into exercise (maybe after the first week or two of hell). Lifting weights completely changed how I handled opiate addiction and withdrawal.

Thank you for the advice. Every piece of info I get is brand new to me, so even if something sounds basic in your mind, please tell me. I need all of this. Thanks again. I feel like I am counting hours of sobriety at this point.

Thank you for the advice. Every piece of info I get is brand new to me, so even if something sounds basic in your mind, please tell me. I need all of this. Thanks again. I feel like I am counting hours of sobriety at this point.

If you are unfamiliar with Loperamide/Immodium, would highly recommend reading up. Tons of info here on BL (and elsewhere) if you search. It can cut a significant portion of physical withdrawals off. It is OTC, incredibly cheap, and pretty safe at reasonable doses.

Kratom is another option. It is an opioid, but an incredibly weak, cheap, legal one. It is an herb grown in Asia, and is taken by capsule or tea, usually. Combined with all the other meds especially, it takes edge off. It is addicting, but probably 1/10th as much as poppy tea. I find it a safe option for detox.

Do a lot of reading here on BL. The search function is a little weird, but once you figure it out, there are more tips, tricks, and secrets here than you'd ever need to know. Not to mention, there is a great community. Lots of emotional support and life advice.

I loved the tea for over a year, maybe 2... and eventually just had to stop it. I don’t think I ever fully detoxed as I relied heavily on Kratom to quit, and am still on it years later... that said it did help a lot.
The good thing IMO about the tea is the long half life, you won’t really start feeling the WDs until day 3. I think exercise is the key here, gabapentin helps (but can be addictive too), immodium also does stop the diarrhea if you get it.
My advice is to work out as much as possible on days 1 and 2 while you’re feeling ok, drink lots of water, eat normally, and ensure you don’t have any on hand to relapse. Honestly, you’re likely in for a few rough nights with insomnia and/or rls but it WILL PASS.
Hope this helps, good luck.

I loved the tea for over a year, maybe 2... and eventually just had to stop it. I don’t think I ever fully detoxed as I relied heavily on Kratom to quit, and am still on it years later... that said it did help a lot.
The good thing IMO about the tea is the long half life, you won’t really start feeling the WDs until day 3. I think exercise is the key here, gabapentin helps (but can be addictive too), immodium also does stop the diarrhea if you get it.
My advice is to work out as much as possible on days 1 and 2 while you’re feeling ok, drink lots of water, eat normally, and ensure you don’t have any on hand to relapse. Honestly, you’re likely in for a few rough nights with insomnia and/or rls but it WILL PASS.
Hope this helps, good luck.
This sounds like great advice. I feel like my timing on it is about the same as yours. I first tried it in August of 2019, was winding down to stop. I got the flu in February of 2020 and spent a week in bed and wasn’t on the tea. I probably went through WD and got over the hump during that time, also my use before that was very minimal. Then the pandemic hit, I was home all the time, and 2 kids being homeschooled and the tea helped me sleep at night and gave me something to look forward to. Those are all excuses and I recognize that but I just hate I started back again. I feel like, I can do this. I used to be a runner and I need to employ that mindset. Just keep going and push through the pain. Thank you for the guidance, much appreciated!