View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

first mushroom experience(microdosing)+question

6dantex6

Greenlighter
i took lsd 8 years ego about 4 times and it was amazing.this time i wanted to try shrooms to help with my depression(if the affects are
similar to lsd i am sure it would help with that).
so i grew some b+ and took something between 0.25-0.5g,i dont have scales so i compared the weight with some pills.
i didn't want to take normal dose because after horrible experience with ssri which caused me anxiety problems i don't trust
things that effect the brain and prefer to start slow.
so i ate the shrooms(nice taste by the way) and after 20m or so my heart began racing and i was shaking(it was intense and unpleasant but no anxiety
about that,just got under the blanket until it passed after 40m).after that felt bit weird with waves of feeling wired\intense.
tried to listen to music but couldn't stay focused on a song,tried to watch a movie the same(skipped between 5 movies). after another hour
was feeling balanced calm and warm,nice feeling but all this time no mood improvement just felt neutral.this warm feeling with tiny hits
of anxiety lasted till i fell a sleep.

i don't know what to do next.try less than 0.25 or 0.5g\1g or not to take anymore at all?
any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum

question, just to check, you know the total weight of those pills you compared with or what the box says it contains?

Not that your experience doesn't sound typically mild for a mild dose like that.

I have to say, low dose mushrooms can really weird me out. Not 100% of the time, but with little experience it's sure more likely... I can't guarantee of course that a higher dose will be a totally positive experience, but a light trip dose (enough to have an actual trip though) should be less meh and awkward. It can get full-on weird, but when the trip intensity isn't stuck in that meh limbo you were in at least the experience tends to be consistent. It's really not conductive to a good trip to be sitting around questioning what's going on anyway.

If the trip is stronger and more like a story that unfolds or an adventure rather than just confusion / lack of focus, maybe some giggles... it is best if you arrange at least some activity that gives you some change of scenery etc. Couped up in the house it tends to get really introverted which is not ideal for learning how to handle mushrooms in my opinion. Ideally get a good friend to babysit you for a while and guide you to a nearby park or something like that. If there is nothing too demanding going on, the change of scenery should help guide the trip into being a nice and fluid experience.

I must admit it is possible to just have a sort of stoned experience in between what you had and a psychedelic trip, it may be less demanding but more uncertain in terms of not knowing quite what to do with the confusing effects.
Try meditating when it's rather mild, it may help you relax and potentiate any trippy effects. If the trip is strong, meditating will likely make it very very intense with possible altered states (like mystical ones).

Anxiety is a risk and especially one that feeds on itself: it gets worse if you let it, then it spirals. That can normally happen but everything mental can go a bit faster with psychedelics. Have some good considerations about planning your trip, the set and setting (check our repository of threads on typical topics via the Index - link at the top of PD pages like this one)... so that you have faith in the whole endeavor. Avoid the common pitfalls so that you can especially relax and let go during the trip.

It's really up to you whether you can manage that kind of trust and take mushrooms again, but staying at doses too low to have a trip or even lower are no good for an experience. I honestly do not know if low doses of mushrooms help with depression, usually I felt better after medium doses or higher I think, although I don't suffer particularly from it.

SSRI's are pretty shitty as far as I can tell, I have known enough people who have taken them and it did not encourage me.

Trips are a commitment on the other hand, especially something like mushrooms. It's important to motivate yourself before you do it, and pull through despite feelings of anxiety or other difficulties. It's no good to only want part of the effects, but want it to end when you find out it's not necessarily easy at all. It can be hard yes, but worthwhile.

Don't push yourself if you have too much resistance against it, there may be other options.

thanks for the reply and the advice.the weight of the pill i got from the packet(the foil part,it said one pill is 500mg).
i am planing to try again but afraid that higher dose will have stronger physical affects(what made me anxious was tightness and other feelings in the body not the
weird mind feeling if that makes sense ).

Fortunately 500 mg pills are relatively heavy and wouldn't be as far off as lighter dosed ones may be, but 500 mg is what active compound is contained in it. Pills also have binders and fillers. An APAP tablet containing 500 mg of APAP of mine actually weighs about 650 mg. Even capsules normally contain additives (excipients) and of course the weight of the capsule. But again: with 500 mg pills you should be relatively closer to that 500 relatively, than with for example 10 mg pills which tend to weigh much more than 10 mg.

Just for future reference. :) Scales can be very cheap, just check out our thread: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/showthread.php?t=348436

Since mushrooms are natural, potency can vary a bit - so ideally you would grind your dried mushrooms (protect from exposure to air especially in that form!) and weigh so that the batch is evenly potent. That way, if you continue with mushrooms and decide on a proper dosage level, you can actually repeat it with relative consistency.

I understand your concerns, weird mind feelings as opposed to a trip still seem to be the reason for going higher anyway, or to get more therapeutic value from it. The bodily effects can be annoying but are considered safe. There can be things that can be surprising/alarming like suddenly feeling like you pissed your pants (even though nothing happened), getting major jelly legs or other things - but they seem to just be part of the effects on the nervous system in a confusing rather than damaging way.

Do some research on the physical safety of mushrooms I guess. There are plenty of drugs I feel uncertain about with regard to effects on my body, but not mushrooms. Also anxiety in return can manifest quite physically, that seems to happen more pronounced with things like mushrooms. Of course it's not purely that otherwise it would be a chicken or the egg mystery.