• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe First day off H, feel odd off bupe

zebedee79

Bluelighter
Okay so I've basically been on opiates for 6 or 7 years. Started on codeine, morphine then for the last 18 months heroin. As to be expected my is turning to shit, so I gotta quit before I loose everything. So today is my first day completely off heroin (I was using low dose bupe with H on top for 2 days, I know that's not how it supposed to work but it made it easier for me).

For work reasons I can't access my local drug services so I'm doing this myself. I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to feel of bupe, I've got no physical withdrawal symptoms which I'm grateful for, but my heads all over the place. It sounds strange but I feel like what's happening around me isn't real, like I'm watching tv or something. I feel very distant I guess. I know what's real, I haven't completely lost it bit I just feel odd. Is it just being totally sober for the first time in ages, I definitely don't feel high off the subs?

Also I know the answer to this question is subjective, but how long had it taken for other people to stop constantly thinking about getting high? I know I'll carry this addiction to the grave but it does get easier over time right? .

Cheers

Zeb

You've just got to ride it out for a few days. Bupe isn't a full agonist and unless your dependency was very minor in the first place, in which case you wouldn't need bupe, it'll take some time before the bupe actually makes you feel "good". In my experience, you're looking at anywhere from 2-5 days of aches, minor chills, depression, and that generally detached feeling before the bupe can really take over and make you feel motivated and happy. Understand what you're feeling is exponentially better than a cold turkey withdrawal and that using on top of the bupe to quench this undeniable thirst will only be a huge setback and seriously prolong your suffering, regardless of how you try to justify it (and be ready, you will). Bupe can help, but for your sake please try to find the lowest effective dose for holding you as if you, like most patients, start on a crazy high dose (really anything above 8mg, maybe even 6mg), your odds of ever getting off the stuff decrease substantially. Unless you were shooting lots of very good dope, you should find 4-6mg no less effective than 16mg, and that's speaking from experience. Good luck.

By the way, if you really feel your choices are going out to score or combining a low dose benzo with your bupe, do the latter. It'll make you feel 100% better and you can stop the benzos in another day or two when the acute stage has passed. Another med that'll help the stabilization period is clonidine, and it carries a far lower risk of dependence. Far better still are gabapentin or lyrica in moderate doses. With or without the subs, all of the above meds are very effective in negating wd symptoms.

Yeah cheers for that, I'm just feeling weird today. I'm on 8mg bupe at the moment, but I'm only planning on staying on it two weeks. I'll stick at 8mg for a couple of days them reduce gradually for two weeks. I got a week off work then so I'm gonna just try and ride the rest out. I got pregabalin and your right, its very helpful, I'm hoping that it'll make my jump off bupe bearable.

Thanks for your reply.

You've just got to ride it out for a few days. Bupe isn't a full agonist and unless your dependency was very minor in the first place, in which case you wouldn't need bupe, it'll take some time before the bupe actually makes you feel "good". In my experience, you're looking at anywhere from 2-5 days of aches, minor chills, depression, and that generally detached feeling before the bupe can really take over and make you feel motivated and happy. Understand what you're feeling is exponentially better than a cold turkey withdrawal and that using on top of the bupe to quench this undeniable thirst will only be a huge setback and seriously prolong your suffering.

Excellent way to describe the first few days after attempting to make the switch over to bupe. I know it sounds weak to say it, but even with the bupe, many of us know how difficult those days can be to keep your head motivated and in the game

Yeah, this is my 3rd attempt with bupe. First I dosed to early and went into precipitated withdrawal, not something I'll be experiencing again. The second time I took 16mg I expected to feel normal, but I felt shitty. I was expecting way to much so quit it and went back to H. This time I'm trying to be more realistic with what to expect, plus I've stock piled gabapentin, pregabalin and some benzos (diazepam, xanax and a few temazepam jellies) gonna be careful with the benzos, I really don't need another addiction to deal with. This is only the first day but I'm feeling more positive than in the past, so hopefully I can be truly opiate free soon..

Cheers

Zeb