View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

First Bad Trip after many Good Ones

number22

Bluelighter
SWIM first tried psilocybin two years ago. He acquired 10.5 grams, and split it with another friend. Yes SWIM's first trip was a heroic dose. Had the most amazing time, will never forget it. A month later, SWIM eats 3.5 grams with three other friends. The three friends all have bad trips. During this time, SWIM and his friends were 16.

This changed SWIMs mind about psychedelics. He believed he was indestructible, and that bad trips would never happen. He continued to get his hands on any psychedelic he can, and found a new group of friends to trip with. Sometimes alone. For 6 months, SWIM had easy access to RCs that his friend was selling as LSD. Still after all those trips, SWIM had a great time everytime. About 20 trips all together.

However, this past weekend SWIM had an alarming experience. His mother was going to be out of town for the weekend, so SWIM really wanted to trip since he did not have to worry about a parent. SWIM wasn't entirely feeling it, but still dropped some LSD (RC connect fell out and will never take a RC again). Three hours into the trip, about when SWIM was peaking is when things went wrong. A friend came over to hang out and such. SWIMs brother just finished showing him a youtube video, and the TV switched back to cable.

On cable there was a bellator fight on. This was not a normal fight, and SWIM never watched them in the first place. The two men go at it, and quickly one gets on top of the other. From here the man on top just kept pounding on the other guys face. FOR SO LONG. SWIM, his brother, and his friend were all freaking out, but SWIM was the only one tripping. The guy went in and out of consciousness multiple times. SWIM could not handle it and walked out of the room.

He returns about one minute later when the fight is over. But on TV they had lots of replays and the two accompanying me were talking about how crazy it was. SWIM kneeled down and tried to contribute to the conversation. But his mind was fixated on the fight. His breathing became heavy, and he began to get scared. It kept getting worse, and SWIM had to lay down. The two kept talking, and SWIM asked if he was breathing to feel better. Brother responded yes, but breathing was getting worse. Hands started to cramp up and SWIM got so beyond tense.

From here SWIM asks for help. At this point my arms were tensed up, with his hands closed in a weird position. Almost like he was simulating getting knocked out. SWIM was told his eyes began to roll back. SWIMs brother thought he was going to have a seizer. So his brother did a sternum rub and that pulled SWIM out of it. They went outside to cool down because SWIM was drenched in sweat.

The weird part was SWIM new exactly why he was freaking out. He just could not control it. After asking for help, he said to shut off the tv and give him music. He just kept thinking about that poor guy getting his ass kicked.

Anyways this post is mainly about has anyone experienced this? SWIM did not feel the same next day. He was very depressed. After that happened he did not have a fun trip. It was very scary for him. SWIMs desire to smoke weed has dropped, which could be a good thing. Why did this happen? Should SWIM be scared to trip again?

Bad trips happen to almost everyone at some point, a bad setting will definitely do it. After my first bad trip (which was actually my first trip ever) I felt really anxious and depressed for a week but after that I was fine. In my experience, your first bad trip is usually the worst. I've tripped many times since and have only had two more bad trips, and they weren't nearly as bad. Keep some benzos around just in case. But yeah, set and setting is everything, and it sounds like your setting was bad that time.

By the way we don't SWIM in here. Reason being, it doesn't do anything to protect anyone and it makes posts so much more annoying to read. Thanks. :)

Anyway, psychedelics can strongly increase empathy and feelings of connection with other things. You just had an intense reaction to witnessing something terrible, it's pretty normal that you'd get uncomfortable, and the LSD magnified that greatly.

I would urge you not to consider this a "bad trip". It was just a section where you became uncomfortable. Early in my tripping days I used to almost always have at least 1 period of time in every trip where I felt really scared or uncomfortable or thought I was going insane or wanted it to end or whatever. But those are just moments, and they pass, and then you're fine. Don't get freaked out about it, it's a normal part of tripping. :)

Also, watching TV really isn't the best tripping activity, I prefer listening to music if I'm going to be inside, or doing some activity like drawing or painting or whatever. Or ideally, exploring nature.

As the other posters say, setting along with set and dose, is everything. One of the most profound and powerful properties of LSD is its ability to amplify perceptions, feelings and emotions.

It can be very simple really. Peace and beauty are easily amplified to ecstatic levels (as Xorkoth said, music and nature are two wonderful resources for this). Aggression and violence on the other hand are easily amplified to fear and horror (two failsafe resources for this: TV and pubs full of angry drunk people :\)