Fired from work for drug use.... heLLP

In Indiana an employer has the write to hire or fire at will. So that means an employer could fire you for any reason, as long as it is not on the basis of descrimination.

It's too bad my state won't legislate for better laws to protect it's employees.

Assuming your state has no specific laws deeming this illegal (check... it might), in this case I would believe it comes down to specific policies for your employer and your job. What did you sign when you got the job regarding drugs and/or termination? Do you remember reading anything about that or do you have access to it again?

All in all I'm going to have to guess he shouldn't have fired you on hearsay alone. But it could be more hassle than it's worth to argue that point. You're 17 and was it really that great a job?

Dr. J said:
^^^
Not necessarily. Many company drug policies (mine included) allow for the termination of any employee who is merely even suspected of using drugs.

WTF ? What kind of Nazi employer is that ? You can get fired for being SUSPECTED of using ???? Innocent until proven guily, does that ring a bell ? Anyone could "suspected"......

Posted by Crazeee:
WTF ? What kind of Nazi employer is that ? You can get fired for being SUSPECTED of using ???? Innocent until proven guily, does that ring a bell ? Anyone could "suspected"......

Does that ring a bell? Excuse me? How incredibly naive are you??

Innocent until proven guilty only applies to the courts, nothing else. I am on the judicial board at my university, where we can *gasp* suspend students for merely being suspected of engaging in inappropriate conduct. We are not a court of law and, as such, are under no obligation to obide by rules set aside for the courts.

And, as it relates to the job market, you are correct, anyone could be "suspected" of drug use. Hey, at least that's a reason. Many states don't require any reason; you can be fired at will, without cause. I could also, for example, be fired for being gay, and have no recourse. In some states and for some positions there are procedures in place to protect the employee. Unfortunately, this is pretty limited.

And, you can call my employer strict all you want, but as a condition of employment, every prospective employee has to submit to a urine test and sign a form agreeing that his or her employment may be terminated if he or she is suspected of drug use. Most companies with drug policies make this pretty clear.

Last edited:
^^ Why do you assume " I am naive " ? I was making a sarcastic statement about how screwed up policies these are, I am well aware that US employers have this "nazi-type-approach" when it comes to drug issues, especially in the work place.

And, you can call my employer strict all you want, but as a condition of employment, every prospective employee has to submit to a urine test and sign a form agreeing that his or her employment may be terminated if he or she is suspected of drug use

That is a bit different than simply being suspected, that is being caught after usage. They test everyone and terminate ones who have not complied. On the other hand, if no one agreed to these policies and everyone would refuse such tests on basis of violation oif civil liberties companies would stop doing so very quickly as no one would want to work for them. There are few exceptions which I would tend to agree with, mainly jobs that hold great responsibility for lives of others (airplane pilot, truck driver , heavy machinery operator, just to name a few) however I completely opposed to drug testing of employees in an Office Environment and I am appalled at the amount of companies that do it and people who agree to go along with that.

Just me 02 cents...

While these "fire at will" policies do exist, they are rarely acted upon or implemented unless the is a good reason.

But then again, some people do get real powerhungry assholes as bosses.

:\