• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Finding appropriate dose for dog

Las Veghost grower

Bluelighter
My dog has really bad arthritis and takes 25-50mg of tramadol on her bad days, I try to not give it to her everyday to prevent any kind of dependence/constipation that may develop. I’m out of her 50mg tramadol pills and the vet can’t refill the prescription until the 8th. I have my defatted poppy pod extract that I was thinking about giving to her. I typically take a tsp. Twice a day to maintain which is roughly 5g I think. I’m 160lbs with some tolerance and my dog is about 10lbs. with little to no tolerance, I was wondering what would be a good dose to start with ? I’m thinking 200mg but just looking for some other opinions

That’s why I don’t want to give it to her, but she’s in pretty bad shape today, hasn’t moved all day and won’t even let me pet her which is how she gets on bad days, I know she won’t eat so I feel like I have to do something, thinking about maybe starting with 25 or 50mg and just dosing up hour by hour till she’s up n moving again

Well I gave her 100mg so far and she is up n running around, pretty surprised tbh she doing better then when she gets the tramadol, and it’s significantly cheaper, prolly still use the tramadol when I get it but it’s nice to know this will work really well if needed

Well I gave her 100mg so far and she is up n running around, pretty surprised tbh she doing better then when she gets the tramadol, and it’s significantly cheaper, prolly still use the tramadol when I get it but it’s nice to know this will work really well if needed
If I had a pet that was hurting I’d dose it without a thought, I would just do the math like you did , I think I’d dial it back if she’s running around though🤣 probably just enjoying her new found youth

Hmmm, yea, we can all get political and moral here very quickly, but I'd like to avoid that and cut to the chase if possible. I know, it's a situation that is so far out of my depth it's crazy, but for puppers, I'm willing to do the unthinkable, for good widdow boys, I can push myself.

Dogs seem to have a lot of the same pharmacokinetic considerations as us humans. For instance, the bioavailability is approximately 1/3 by the oral route when compared to the intravenous route. The most common indications for pain in dogs using Morphine is 0.5mg intravenously, so we'll extrapolate that 1.5mg orally is appropriate. From everything I've read, there isn't a correlation between breed/type and bioavailability or at least not a significant one.

You can assume that this is going to be 3-4 times per day to maintain analgesia, just like in a human, but you're going to have the added need to monitor how the first dose effects your dog.

Now, you're not even using Morphine, but poppy is a Morphine preparation. You should use a combination of things to determine an appropriate starting dose if you ask me. The first would be, how this preparation effects you. This will give you a broad, but useful benchmark from which to continue narrowing in on a good dose for your dog.

In the end, if you choose to do this, the biggest part of your responsibility will be monitoring the effects that it has on the dog and acting if you notice they're breathing really getting shallow. You can easily head to the vet or even do compressions yourself if you notice problems. You just need to pay close attention and really, the chances of things going very wrong are minimal.

I know it's probably not applicable here, but I would always recommend trying Cannabis before Opioids with pets, just like I would suggest for people.

Hmmm, yea, we can all get political and moral here very quickly, but I'd like to avoid that and cut to the chase if possible. I know, it's a situation that is so far out of my depth it's crazy, but for puppers, I'm willing to do the unthinkable, for good widdow boys, I can push myself.

Dogs seem to have a lot of the same pharmacokinetic considerations as us humans. For instance, the bioavailability is approximately 1/3 by the oral route when compared to the intravenous route. The most common indications for pain in dogs using Morphine is 0.5mg intravenously, so we'll extrapolate that 1.5mg orally is appropriate. From everything I've read, there isn't a correlation between breed/type and bioavailability or at least not a significant one.

You can assume that this is going to be 3-4 times per day to maintain analgesia, just like in a human, but you're going to have the added need to monitor how the first dose effects your dog.

Now, you're not even using Morphine, but poppy is a Morphine preparation. You should use a combination of things to determine an appropriate starting dose if you ask me. The first would be, how this preparation effects you. This will give you a broad, but useful benchmark from which to continue narrowing in on a good dose for your dog.

In the end, if you choose to do this, the biggest part of your responsibility will be monitoring the effects that it has on the dog and acting if you notice they're breathing really getting shallow. You can easily head to the vet or even do compressions yourself if you notice problems. You just need to pay close attention and really, the chances of things going very wrong are minimal.

I know it's probably not applicable here, but I would always recommend trying Cannabis before Opioids with pets, just like I would suggest for people.
I know it wasnt the smartest thing to do but I hate seeing my dogs in pain, Luckily it worked out good and she is back up n movin normally, gave her another 100mg this morning cause she was starting to go back to being in obvious pain, it just pisses me off the vet wouldn’t even give me a couple pills till her “check up” I guess cause tramadol is an opiate they can only fill a script so many times before needing to see the dog again to confirm they still need it, but from what I understand arthritis dosent just go away and tends to get worse over time, if she would have just given me 2pills I wouldn’t have had to do this, but whatever I’m use to improvising

I know it wasnt the smartest thing to do but I hate seeing my dogs in pain, Luckily it worked out good and she is back up n movin normally, gave her another 100mg this morning cause she was starting to go back to being in obvious pain, it just pisses me off the vet wouldn’t even give me a couple pills till her “check up” I guess cause tramadol is an opiate they can only fill a script so many times before needing to see the dog again to confirm they still need it, but from what I understand arthritis dosent just go away and tends to get worse over time, if she would have just given me 2pills I wouldn’t have had to do this, but whatever I’m use to improvising
Yea man, I agree that that is a shitty situation. It is just another example of how a controlled supply can ultimaltely be harmful. We have so many things to poison ourselves with in this world, but they have to control the medicinal shit specifically. I would have done the exact same thing.

Ik this might not be what you want to hear but perhaps it's time to put her down. I hate to see animals suffer and I perhaps might jokingly advocate for taking her behind the tool ahead with your 22. , but seriously imo its better to put animal's down 1 day too early rather than 1 day too late. And it's time man.

You can get some non-steroidal analgesic medication which you can administer IM or SC. Buy it off a agricultural supply website and make sure what you get is used on dogs.

Ik this might not be what you want to hear but perhaps it's time to put her down. I hate to see animals suffer and I perhaps might jokingly advocate for taking her behind the tool ahead with your 22. , but seriously imo its better to put animal's down 1 day too early rather than 1 day too late. And it's time man.

You can get some non-steroidal analgesic medication which you can administer IM or SC. Buy it off a agricultural supply website and make sure what you get is used on dogs.
No way man, she still has a lot of life in her it’s just the arthritis that’s holds her back sometimes, and if it gets to the point she needs to take an opiate everyday all day I’ll do that before putting her down, I held on to 1 dog longer then I should have being selfish, that won’t happen again

No way man, she still has a lot of life in her it’s just the arthritis that’s holds her back sometimes, and if it gets to the point she needs to take an opiate everyday all day I’ll do that before putting her down, I held on to 1 dog longer then I should have being selfish, that won’t happen again
There is actually now I temporarily exercise my brain, as my mum lives in the real world.

I do not, hence some difficulty.

But she has jeot dogs forever. Immaculately too. There is a supplement that she has used on greyhounds and lurchers since seeing the results from day one, iirc but will ask her specifically about this next time an easy convo going.

It springs to mind because we are writing a list on the kitchen bench of bits and bobs we want to acquire.

I saw on the list "Yumove".

For the dog. Have a look into it perhaps because I never even think about this but now I do I think the testimonies well solidly reporting a very noticeable difference and our direct experience really confirmed that, over time, consistently.

My dog has really bad arthritis and takes 25-50mg of tramadol on her bad days, I try to not give it to her everyday to prevent any kind of dependence/constipation that may develop. I’m out of her 50mg tramadol pills and the vet can’t refill the prescription until the 8th. I have my defatted poppy pod extract that I was thinking about giving to her. I typically take a tsp. Twice a day to maintain which is roughly 5g I think. I’m 160lbs with some tolerance and my dog is about 10lbs. with little to no tolerance, I was wondering what would be a good dose to start with ? I’m thinking 200mg but just looking for some other opinions
Please take her back to the vet and get them to give you a different type of pain relief medication, if they won't give you another tramadol script yet. Please do not dose your pets yourself. There are plenty of other pain relief options that the vet can safely prescribe. You want to do the right thing, and going back to the vet is the right thing to do, NOT give your pet other substances.

There is actually now I temporarily exercise my brain, as my mum lives in the real world.

I do not, hence some difficulty.

But she has jeot dogs forever. Immaculately too. There is a supplement that she has used on greyhounds and lurchers since seeing the results from day one, iirc but will ask her specifically about this next time an easy convo going.

It springs to mind because we are writing a list on the kitchen bench of bits and bobs we want to acquire.

I saw on the list "Yumove".

For the dog. Have a look into it perhaps because I never even think about this but now I do I think the testimonies well solidly reporting a very noticeable difference and our direct experience really confirmed that, over time, consistently.
I just ordered some yumove off chewy ! Thanks for the tip has good reviews so I hope it will work

I just ordered some yumove off chewy ! Thanks for the tip has good reviews so I hope it will work
I honestly don't believe it is quackery. My mum swears by it.

She has spent most of her life out every day walking for hours meeting dog walkers and owners all over the place learning about dogs and the healthcare that is how she first this supplement for testament of the people she met and witness in the animal's improvement.

I forgot the ingredients but I'm guessing chondroitin might be one of them I know it's a combination though and definitely worth a try I think.

Really hope you see a difference.

oh yea hydro therapy might be good for your dog but that shits like really expensive.
like i think it might help by alowing her to exersise and stuff.

also now that i'm thinking of it you could probably do some hydrotherapy by setting up a treadmill in a paddling pool with a battery drill and some other things.