Final Day Before Sobriety

SAMSMITH

Greenlighter
Nearly Ending My Life , Saved My Life

I'm in my room. Looking out the window. It is a long way down from where I am. The wind touches my face. It feels so cold, yet fresh and pleasant. I'm drowsy, I light a cigarette and stare outside at all the people coming and going. Cars driving, lights flashing. My head is lowering, I couldn't tell you what I was thinking. I was basically paralysed from my afternoon dose of painkillers. I'm nodding now, the cigarette is still just burning away on its own as my finger grip gets so loose I can't even hold it. I drop it out the window and watch the ember fall. All the way down, I can see the ember flip and turn, then it disappears.

I stand up and try to climb out the window. Whatever was racing through my head I don't know. I am sitting on the window sill with my legs dangling over the edge. I can't look down , adrenaline starts to smash through all the drugs in my system like electricity . Suddenly, I feel a pair of arms grab me. I was so shocked I tried to struggle. I didn't hear the door open. I soon realise it is my father as he is yelling 'what are you doing!', over and over. I fell back into my room onto my floor. I stare up at the ceiling and I can't even hear my dad, I am so drowsy I cannot even comprehend a word.

The very next day I walked into the clinic, saw a GP and got on a drug treatment plan. I got a counsellor. My world was rocked so hard I dropped it all.

Last edited: