• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

L2R

Bluelight Crew
imdb link

S: Scarlett Johansson, Brian Cox, Jonathan Rhys Meyers
D: Woody Allen

A captivating tale of infidelity and tragedy set in London's elite circles. Woody Allen mesmerises the audience by creating sympathy for an outright dispicable protagonist, while wonderfully displaying a living metaphor with emphasis on the nature of luck.

I enjoyed this a lot more than expected. While i found the first half a little boring, the second half pays off in a big way.

4 of 5 stars

Scarlett Johansson is fucking beautiful, as always. I love her, and I'm not a big fan of too many Hollywood starlets.

The films is decent. It's clever and well-filmed. The acting's not bad. But it was definitely longer than it needed to be and not one of Woody Allen's best, but you can't be brilliant all the time I suppose. The ending is cool. So, it was mediocre but worth a look.

Excellent succinct mini-review, L2R.

3.3 stars out of 4.0 on the LL-O-Meter.

Good thing I'm not an old New York Jewish comic who loves the Knicks and younger women because then I might be biased.

i hated it
i would have walked out if i hadn't been with someone else

it's the king of film of which i think "but why did the director do this film? 10 have done it before"

I just watched this film. Completely agree that beginning drags, but just as I was about to turn it off it picked up in a marvelous way.

I first watched this film off Pay Per View which I bought based on interesting adverts. I watched it and was stunned. If you didn't know any better, you would never have guessed in a million years that Woody Allen had directed it. There is literally NO comic relief. At all. Whatsoever. It's a very dark movie. Very un-Woody Allen.
Woody Allen afficionatos will notice that the plot is VERY similar to Crimes & Misdemeanors. But I think Match Point has more of an existential message to it.
While both movies involve killing an inconvenient ex-lover, C&M dealt with the rationalization while MP was about, well, everything. MP was about LIFE!

The part of the movie that blew me away and made me think "God, whoever directed this film was a genius" (I wasn't paying attention during the credits) was when Meyers and Johanasson are walking up to her apartment and they run into her landlady. As the landlady is talking to them, Meyers feels at his chest.
Why he is feeling at his chest is because he had taken off his wedding ring and put it in the best pocket of his shirt. The encounter with the landlady had taken him out of his fantasy and into a "oh shit, this is real" mindset. Such subtlety! Such genius!

Another interesting theme. It is set in England. Very English surroundings. London. Meyer and Johanasson while bother strangers to each other and from different cultures were both foreigners. And yet find solidarity by being both foreigners: American and Irish. Both strangers in the land of England.

Haven't seen this movie in a bit but I love it so much and love it every time I see it. Jonathan Rhys Meyers is just so fantastic in this film and plays his character so well. I absolutely love the plot and the way the story spins out of control.

I love the film even more because
NSFW:
Jonathan Rhys Meyers gets away with it all in the end, so awesome.

Brilliant and superb film in my opinion.

Caught this on cable just last weekend. I loved it so much....I was enthralled until the very end and didn't even realize a couple hours had passed. Woody Allen has redeemed himself in my eyes (well...I did like Annie Hall and couldn't stand his other offings ;)) In fact, I only realized he had directed it when the credits rolled. Bravo! Hooray for no expectations and being totally satisfied!

^now watch cassandra's dream. allen knows how to make a good thriller.

Great film. I know a lot of Allen fans think it's just a retread of Crimes and Misdemeanors, but personally I think C&M is very overrated. Match Point basically takes half its storyline and refines it to perfection, whereas Crimes just felt flat and undeveloped.

I think this film deserves props - a pretty decent way to spend a couple of hours. I enjoyed it.

I hate Woody Allen, though, what a pervert. I can just imagine him drooling over his "muse" Scarlett J. Good luck, you fugly little fart!