Votes: 8 14.5%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 21 38.2%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 22 40.0%

• Total voters
I loved it.

Movie was really good imo. :)

Fueled my 'must go to Alaska' fire though......... ;)

I was enjoying OK, but the ending was kind of a 'doh' moment. It took him all that time to realise that life is better when you have someone to share your experiences with rather than on your own. Sure, I get what he was striving for...but it just seemed way too obvious.

Also, he talked about the lack of compassion people have for one another. Well, how about contacting your family for one thing!. Where the hell was the compassion there?. Several years passed without them having the foggiest what had happened to him. I dunno, I guess I wasn't fully compassionate towards him.

Mariacallas imdb post was pretty acurate. I still enjoyed the movie but its no classic in my mind

Really? That was a terrible review.

In fact, the reviewer didn't even understand the movie.

All the time we're told what complete bastards McCandless' parents are.

When does this happen in the book or the film? Although McCandless doesn't approve of his parents lifestyle and he rejects how he was brought up, they are never portrayed as bad people. Another thing, even if they were portrayed as such, the film is from the perspective of McCandless. It's not that unusual for teenagers/ young men and women to rebel against their parents and demonize them purely for the sake of having a tangible adversary in order to be able to vent their frustrations.

Well, if you're a massive jerk and you're somehow unable to comprehend that human relationships are more complicated than a simple 'they're good' or 'they're bad', then you may be able to build a case for young Christopher, but if you have any depth of feeling in your soul, you may well think that McCandless punished his parents beyond anything that is reasonable.

"if you're a massive jerk?" umm... okay...

Anyway, the reason McCandless didn't contact anyone and changed his name, etc. was because he knew that he had to do that to be free. He had to completely let go of his past, otherwise his parents would have tracked him down and ended/interupted his adventure.

Again, the reviewer clearly didn't understand the movie.

Hell, his parents even have the nerve to offer to buy him a new car and pay for a Harvard education. Those phonies. Those shallow fakers who give him a home to live in and money to spend. How disgusting they are.

The reviewer is an idiot. His use of sarcams doesn't even make any sense.

He appears to be judging the main character rather than reviewing the film. The protagonist is by no means perfect. He's a confused young man.

I thought that was obvious.

Am surprised I haven't replied to this thread ever but glad it came up when searching for Good Will Hunting 8( I think it might have even come up before the good will hunting thread :D

Anyway I won't add much to this since I will have more to add while I'm sober, just wanted to post that this is my absolute favourite film at the moment, I watch it about once a month, sometimes more, it helps me when I am feeling down and also is good to watch when I am feeling good.

I really wish I coud live on the road like he did in those 2 years, I don't have any dreams anymore of living in the wilderness like he did where he died, but the parts of the film where he was living on the road, with the hippies, and with the farms, would just have been great.

I want to go and do something similar in the US, but with WWOOFing rather than just hoping for the best, although I do admire his courage to be able to live like that for 2 years before setting off into the wild.

I agree with others though when they say he was stupid and ill-prepared for his time in alaska as having read the book and seen the documentary too it sems he could have easily survived death if he had only had a map and a compass with him. Those two things could and would have saved his life :(

Also, the whole ending with him eating the wrong plant is not true, has been disproved by the coroner, he basically just died of starvation. I would recommend anyone to seek out the documentary and watch that after this as it gives another perspective on the story.

Still one of my all time favs, if not for the filmmaking then for the story and how it makes me feel.