View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Fighting contamination

TOPY

Greenlighter
Hi. I searched a lot on the subject both here and both on other sites but I couldn't find any useful information. If this has been already asked before, forgive me and redirect me to the right discussion. Here's my problem: A couple of days ago I found a vial of 2cb in solution that I had forgotten months ago. I did this probably 7 or 8 months ago ( maybe more) to liquid measure the powder since I didn't have a scale. Anyway somehow this vial ended behind my closet and I forgot it. It was in the dark and at room temperature all this time. Now it looks quite cloudy and I fear it is contaminated. The solution was composed of boiled tap water, ethanol and maybe (I don't remember) sugar. I know sugar was an awful idea since it can feed bacteria, but I added it because at the time I believed I would have used it in a few days and the taste without it was disgusting. Yesterday I threw the vial in boiling water for about 10/15 minutes and then freezed it for a couple of hours hoping to sterilize it. Another awful idea to freeze it I later realized. So, now I have about 70 milligrams of 2cb that I don't know if are safe to consume or even if they are still active after the high temperatures of yesterday. Do you believe the situation is recoverable or do I have to throw all away? Would boiling it again or freezeing it for a longer time be useful? Otherwise, what risks there would be? Would plugging help or be riskier? I hope to not have bored you. I'm in your hands.

So, now I have about 70 milligrams of 2cb that I don't know if are safe to consume or even if they are still active after the high temperatures of yesterday.

This is the real dilemma. You were likely not able to achieve sufficient temperatures just by boiling to sterilize all bacteria. The 2CB wil be OK, melting point is apparently 234-235° C. A proper steam autoclave, as used for only heats up to 121° C @ 15psi (this is important) for 15min, but you probably don't have access. This will render the product completely sterile. A pressure cooker, however, can be used to achieve more or less the same thing. But for all practical purposes, this is likely to be more trouble than it's worth. I'd write it off and discard the solution.

Thanks. I'm quite sad to have to discard such a nice compound. Do you think that boiling it for 30 or more minutes would be the same? Otherwise I've got a pressure cooker somewhere, I just would prefer keeping it simple and effective.

To be sure that all bacteria are gone you would have to heat the solution above the boiling point of water (which is where the pressure comes into play) so time boiling is irrelevant. A pressure cooker would work although you'd have to fiddle with the settings and I'm not totally sure what to do, but you could find it easily on the Internet in regards to sterilizing bottles for brewing beer and also for mushroom cultivation.

On the other hand it's more than likely that the solution is fairly safe to take now, but that's hardly in keeping with harm reduction to suggest that you consume it. It could be something truly nasty.

Next time do the solution in at alcohol without the water or sugar. Enough water will stop the alcohol from killing some bacteria and the sugar as you know encourages bacterial growth. Vodka should suffice but neutral grain spirits if you can get them are ideal diluted to about 70%. make sure the container is securely sealed to prevent evaporation.

Last edited:
I think I'll just keep it for some time and if I'll ever use the pressure cooker I'll throw it in and see what happens. I'm always in time to throw it away later. Probably I'll never test it, but if I'll ever do, I'll let you know. Thanks for the advices.

Don't fuck with random cultures.. The sugar fed something, and you sure as fuck don't want to ingest whatever it fed. Sorry that happened to ya. Leave the sugar out next time, but I'm sure you already knew that. :)