• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Fentynal Patch Questions

Pixies

Bluelighter
So, I recently got put on the 25mcg patch made by Par Pharmaceuticals (I believe that is gel kind). I've been on it for about a week now, and since day 1 (well day 2 technically), I noticed the patches stop working at about the 48 hour mark for me, give or take a few hours. This has been consistent with 3 patches, up until the 4th. Where, that 4th patch lasted about 40 hours for me, and I immediately went into some WDs, chills, cold sweats, anxiety, etc. I also take x4 10/325 Hydrocodone for breakthrough pain, have taken this many times in the past, but only in conjunction with the patches again, recently. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences like this. I've seen online where MANY talk about the patches usually only lasting 48 hours for them, but I was just wondering if anyone else had similar WD-like symptoms in a similar situation. Just wondering how to approach my doc on Tuesday about this. I refill them, this time 10 (a full month supply), on Monday. I just put my 5th and last one on, once the WDs started happening. I'm hoping I can make it till Monday without too much issue. And for the record, I did have to use medical tape to keep them from falling off, since Day 1. My body "runs hot", lol. I feel like that might have had something to do with it? Maybe the tape was insulating the patch, thus causing more to be released at one time? But, I feel like that was better than them just falling off when I'm trying to live a normal life, and I'm out and about (like getting stuck to my shirt), or falling off when I roll over in bed, while sleeping. Thanks in advance for the help! <3

Yes tell your doctor about your wd symptoms. If you're adding tape, only tape around the edges of the patch!

If they aren't not staying on on their own you need to see about a different brand. They really should not have anything keeping by them attached but their own adhesive and yes heat can cause more to be released (why users are cautioned against using hair dryers by/on them, avoid hot tubs etc). Mine tended to go 2 1/2 days or just under. Either your doctor can mark brand is medically necessary or you can ask the pharmacy to order a different generic. Some work way better than others as far as coverage and adhesion go.

If they aren't not staying on on their own you need to see about a different brand. They really should not have anything keeping by them attached but their own adhesive and yes heat can cause more to be released (why users are cautioned against using hair dryers by/on them, avoid hot tubs etc). Mine tended to go 2 1/2 days or just under. Either your doctor can mark brand is medically necessary or you can ask the pharmacy to order a different generic. Some work way better than others as far as coverage and adhesion go.

Noted, thank you for the advice. And yea, with the tape, I try not to go in the middle. It's just so damn awkward, when anything I do (physically) causes the patch to bend and rise up in the middle, I just want to make sure it's completely flush with my skin. I will mention all of this to my doc. Thanks guys!

^ You can put it anywhere, so I would pick a spot that doesn't get rubbed against, or moved around as often.

Also some manufacturers have a webiste/1-800# that you can use. Then they'll send you the adhesive free of charge.

Update, so just got back from the ER. I went because I didn't want to wait until Tuesday to see my pain management doctor. In case anyone was considering it, don't ever move to New Mexico (I just got here for school). It is the absolute biggest shitshow state for people who cannot do their jobs. ER doctor (young fucktard fresh out of med school, who thinks he knows everything already) actually fucking told me (a chronic pain sufferer for several years, gone through every ringer you can think of to try and get better, actually had the audacity to try and tell me that the government is "BANNING" ALL*** Narcotic drugs, because they "don't work" for pain management. Advised that I get off all drugs and exercise more to deal with an issue that isn't one of those "go exercise more" type treatments. Mother fucker, I'm getting injections, I go to PT twice a week. I exercise everyday, do stretches, have a tens unit, my medical MJ card, and have tried everything fucking thing else under the sun, to no real positive end. I then proceeded to lecture him about how the world basically works, and explained the intricacies of how big pharma and the government work. Yeah...they're just going to ban a multi-billion dollar a year industry because some doctors feel uncomfortable with prescribing pain meds to people. Maybe because they're too fucking stupid to give them to the people who actually need them, and don't want to go through the "real" work on figuring out the ones that don't. Jesus Christ, and this isn't even the first bad experience I've had since being here, where every fucking doctor has had their nuts clipped by the dea, and are too pussy to deal with the paperwork and bureaucracy of how prescribing pain meds works. I need to fucking move to Canada asap. I'm tired of this bullshit. But, I'm guessing it's probably just this shitty state. I'm originally from FL, and have never seen the level of incompetence that goes on with doctors here. On top of everything else, my current pain management clinic has tried to fill out SEVERAL prior authorizations for my insurance company, to get these meds covered, which aren't even Tier 2+, and not ONCE have they been filled out correctly. Finally, I had to get my insurance company to call the doctor and walk them through how to do their fucking jobs. In which, ended with them calling them back several times, only to get sent right to voicemail, in which not a SINGLE one of their calls has been returned to correct their mistakes. Sorry for the rant, /end venting.

Oh can I feel ur pain. 35 years on opioid pain control, and I here that line from every er/anastasia Dr under 40 years old....I smile and say u r full of sh!+ doctor. Thank the Lord above I have found a few docs that have a brain and are willing to listen . It only took me 22 trys....haha...it sucked but at least I have a support staff now. That's my rant on ur rant thanks:)

I was on the 25 gels for a year. And matrix patches. The matrix pathces are far better and usually last the whole 72 hours. The gels only lasted me 48 like u said. CVS carries the matrix mylan brand ones

I feel your anger. I was in chronic pain for many years until a spine surgery fixed it. I still get angry about this shit even though i'm not on opioids anymore because I know one day my back will be fucked again and I will have to go back on them.

Pain managment doctors aren't like this asshole in the ER you met. ER doctors are probably the worst when it comes to stigmatizing pain patients. Even most general docs have a good attitude about pain and opioids.

This young ER doctor doesn't know shit. The medical community of doctors recently blocked the CDC from releasing stricter opioid prescribing guidlines....along with pharma. So MDs and pharma are against more regulation. This ER doc has no fucking clue what hes talking about.

BTW, going to the ER and even mentioning pain medicine is guaranteed to get you treated like shit by the staff there. Better to make an appointment with a general doc or pain doc

Its sad, but if you really want to be pain free now days and not withdrawing all the time because of all this bullshit you have to break the law. It gets easier the more you do it, just tell yourself that you are in the right because you are in pain and as long as you are honest with yourself and aren't abusing the meds fuck the law, your sanity and well being is more importanat

forgot to add...use temegesic tape to put over the patches it keeps them very tightly pressed to your body

Last edited: