• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Fentanyl patches - How fast does a heating pad release fentanyl and how much?

ILikeToEatPeople

Greenlighter
If a heating pad is used on a fentanyl patch being worn as prescribed, approximately how fast is the fentanyl released? How much is released? How long on average would it take to even notice the effect of the fentanyl when using a heating pad?

I'm one of those people who have a hard time believing that applying heat to the patch will increase absorption to the point where it will tweak the time release mechanism , if by chance this theory is true, I highly doubt it speeds it up fast enough to abuse. These pharmaceutical companies are pretty on point with loose ends as they can be slammed with lawsuits from accidental deaths......I wouldn't waste your time

I'm one of those people who have a hard time believing that applying heat to the patch will increase absorption to the point where it will tweak the time release mechanism , if by chance this theory is true, I highly doubt it speeds it up fast enough to abuse. These pharmaceutical companies are pretty on point with loose ends as they can be slammed with lawsuits from accidental deaths......I wouldn't waste your time

I suppose that makes sense but the medication guides that come with the patches when prescribed actually warn against using a heating pad, hot tubs, or overly hot showers even, and direct sunlight. I'm not really sure if it's something that can happen in a very rare case or would happen regularly with the use of a heating pad or other heat sources. I guess it could go either way but I think it's probably just over-exaggerated or something.

Hey, out of curiosity, do you know anything about Aveva/Apotex Corp. fentanyl patches? They are the kind where the sticky part looks like foil and are the only brand with a fentanyl "in-adhesive" delivery mechanism (not matrix, not gel). They are only lasting 2 days at a time (or less) and it's really getting frustrating. I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I can do with these crappy patches. Every other brand I've ever used lasts 3 days easy but these Apotex things are utter shit. I don't even try to get high but as far as these patches go I'm willing to give something a try after the 2 day point because I assume there is still fentanyl in the patches and that the brand is so shitty the delivery mechanism just won't function right.

Really... ANY info on these kind of patches would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The answer to the OP's original question...
YES... applying heat DOES increase the amount of fentanyl being absorbed into your body by increasing the rate at which it enters through your epidermis.
I personally don't know the exact numbers(if there are any) that would show approximately how much extra fentanyl is absorbed by applying varying levels of heat to the patch.
But I do know from PLENTY of personal experience(esp. with the Mylan patches, but many others as well) that if you apply a heating pad on a low setting to a patch, you can DEFINITELY increase the fentanyl intake enough to give you a very good "high" if wearing the patch normally doesn't already make you feel that way because of your opiate tolerance.
As far as those "foil" patches go...
I do have limited personal experience with them. They are the same type given to people who are incarcerated or in a psychiatric facility (because of how cheap they are). They SUCK. There's no way around it. I'm not even sure if applying heat will help you with these patches. I remember trying to use them buccaly to see if that would help but it didn't do shit. And the patch falls apart easily.
Just request a different fentanyl patch brand at your pharmacy. I recommend Mylan brand.

Good luck!
Jb

What about using dmso before applying the patch? I have the matrix mylan patchs really low dose 12.5. I want to get one patch going to where I'll feel the effects asap and one patch for longer term.