• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Fentanyl patches - Heating pads, duration, tips? Apotex brand lasts 2 days MAX :(

ILikeToEatPeople

Greenlighter
I have a high-tolerance and have been prescribed daily opioids for 7 years now.

I've been prescribed fentanyl transdermal patches for a few months now (switched from extended release pills to 50mcg/h patches) and this current month when I filled my Rx I got Apotex Corp brand patches which I've been having some problems with. The other brands I've had worked fine but these seem to wear off after 2 days or less plus they crinkle and are annoying and big. They are the patches that basically have a shiny foil looking bottom, DON'T have gel and have an "in-adhesive" fentanyl delivery mechanism or some crap like that. Apparently a lot of people say this brand of patches is worthless.

Anyways, I use the patches as prescribed and it's not my main goal to get high by eating, smoking, IVing fentanyl etc. The problem is, these Apotex patches seem to wear off after about 2 days (a little less actually) and my pain levels increase (which is incredibly lame and it didn't happen with other brands). I figure there is probably still fentanyl in the patches after 2 days but because this brand sucks the delivery mechanism just isn't working probably (or something like that, I dunno). I've read that heating pads supposedly help release the meds from patches faster/better and was wondering how to do this, how safe it would be, or how else to get the most of this brand of patch. How effective is the heating pad method? How long does it take to feel the effects of the fentanyl when using a heating pad? I was hoping that every 2 days on the patches when they wear off I can just heating pad them to compensate for their crappiness and put a new patch on at the regular interval on the 3rd day but if you guys have ANY other options/tips/advice that would be appreciated. I really don't like wasting my medicine. I mean... if I have to do something that would be considered "abuse" just to get these shitty patches to last longer than so be it (I would never IV or smoke though). My goal is pain control but obviously getting high once in awhile happens but in my case I never actually try to do so as I need to function properly and not run out of my meds too early, skyrocket my tolerance etc.

Any info or tips pertaining to how to use this Apotex crap would be appreciated. If not a heating pad, what should I do with these patches after 2 days when they wear off? Is there any part on the body that would work best in terms of patch placement? Heck, I need to make these patches last the proper amount of time like the other brands do so I'm all ears. Obviously I won't ever get this brand again but I need to try and figure something out as far as the rest of the month goes besides just taking more breakthrough meds like an idiot between days 2-3 of patch cycle.

Really, any info AT ALL pertaining to this brand of patches (even just in general) would be great.

Last edited:
Tell ur doctor about the duration problem.

I did however because of general policy and extremely strict regulations in my state (plus insurance limits of refills) she can't write me a new prescription until my next regularly scheduled appointment. She basically said to just compensate with my breakthrough medication for the time being however I'm not too fond of doing that as I make an effort to prevent tolerance increase before it would normally occur... especially if it's because of some crappy brand of patches. Seriously, the Duragesic (name brand) and Watson generic patches lasted 3 days EASILY but these dang Aveva/Apotex pieces of shit are just nonsense.

I really just want to know if there is ANYTHING I can do with these crappy patches other than flush them after 2 days. I guess I can just try the heating pad thing but I wanted to make sure I'm not doing something too stupid or dangerous. I'm sure my tolerance can handle a days worth of fentanyl all at once anyways so I guess I might as well just see what happens.

Any advice is appreciated!