• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Fentanyl Patches, Brands?

kanyeknievel

Bluelighter
So I ran into a 75mcg? I believe Fetanyl Patch Brand has a lot to do with what you are able to do with them. Some you you have to just put on ur skin and the only way to get it to work quicker is to heat it and go from there, and theres others that u can get the gel of very easy and them stick onto your gums like a lollipop.

Im not any noob or any person that has never done oc,d, etc before i know everything about opiate and tolerances and how strong they are so i dont need a warning about how to use them and the potency.

But I am just wonder, I ran into a Mylan brand.. is this brand good being able to take the Gel off of? Is there a way to take the gel and turn it into a powder insufflated substance? I've heard of people smoking the gel before, but that doesn't seem too efficent to me.

Im asking because there was a whole thread on how to get past the OPs and a huge thread and people trying so many ways to get it into a form to abuse it and so its safe. So Im wondering what is the safest way to use this patch and the get the most out of it.

And is it possible to smoke and or turn into powder? I dont believe smoking is a good idea because u lose a lot, and i dont think you can turn it into a powder, but u might from a miicrowave but u might lose some of its potency.

So Im asking you guys your take. Please edit any part that you need to if I broke any rules, i dont believe i did because i am asking for my safety and doing the safest and best possible way.

To any admin PLEASE EDIT ANY PARTS THAT BREAK THE RULES so i can get answers to this asap. and if needed PM me with links n stuff if u guys dont want to write everything out or just send me a link.

Thank you very much.

P.S- Whats the best Brand anyways, for recreational purposes? I have a Mylan.

I find that when it comes to fentanyl patch brands, the "best" tends to be a highly individual choice. Some people prefer the gel exclusively, because it is easy to squeeze out. Some gel brands that are regularly available in the U.S. are Watson, Sandoz and Actavis (Watson is, in my experience, always the brand that Walgreens distributes). Some people prefer the plastic matrix patches such as Mylan. For one because these patches actually contain a significant amount more fentanyl, are smaller and are easier to use for sub-buccal administration. Then there are a third type of patch, manufactured by Teva/Aveva - similar in size to the plastic matrix, these are backed by foil. I know that some users who like to use the patch dermally, as intended, but also apply heat, prefer the foil patches.

There are a few other manufacturers of fentanyl patches, but the ones I have listed above are the ones that I have personally used. I'm happy to answer any specific questions about any of them that you might have.

I find that when it comes to fentanyl patch brands, the "best" tends to be a highly individual choice. Some people prefer the gel exclusively, because it is easy to squeeze out. Some gel brands that are regularly available in the U.S. are Watson, Sandoz and Actavis (Watson is, in my experience, always the brand that Walgreens distributes). Some people prefer the plastic matrix patches such as Mylan. For one because these patches actually contain a significant amount more fentanyl, are smaller and are easier to use for sub-buccal administration. Then there are a third type of patch, manufactured by Teva/Aveva - similar in size to the plastic matrix, these are backed by foil. I know that some users who like to use the patch dermally, as intended, but also apply heat, prefer the foil patches.

There are a few other manufacturers of fentanyl patches, but the ones I have listed above are the ones that I have personally used. I'm happy to answer any specific questions about any of them that you might have.

So how did you like the Actavis ones with the gel. My friend gets the 50mcg ones prescribed to him & he always wanted me to try it but I dont want my tolerance to go up, hence I stayed away. Since you've tried the Actavis, how much did you really like them?

So how did you like the Actavis ones with the gel. My friend gets the 50mcg ones prescribed to him & he always wanted me to try it but I dont want my tolerance to go up, hence I stayed away. Since you've tried the Actavis, how much did you really like them?

Well, first of all, it depends on your ROA. Are you planning on wearing it? Extracting it? Chewing it? Personally, I almost always used the patches buccally - which is to say that rather than "chewing" it and making a mess, I would squish the gel over to one side, fold the patch in half and place the sticky side with the gel against the inside of my cheek. Depending on your tolerance, you get a nod pretty fast, BUT (and I can't emphasize this enough) if you are new to fentanyl, DO NOT NOD OFF WITH THE PATCH ON YOUR SKIN/IN YOUR MOUTH. It's a damn strong opiate, and if you're not used to it, it's really hard to tell the difference between almost-but-not-quite-enough and WHOA-had-too-much!. And it comes on fast and hard. That said, it's very short-acting.

Of all the patches, I liked Actavis the most. But it is highly dependent on what you do with 'em.

Contrary to what my user name may imply, I actually am not a huge fan of fentanyl except as a pain killer. It's immensely powerful for pain, but does not provide the warmth/fuzzy/happies of other opies like hydromorphone, oxymorphone or oxycodone. And you are correct about tolerance - I have lowered my dosages, but I got to the point where I was prescribed 3 100mcg fentanyl patches at once for dermal application every 2 days and I was actually using them bucally - so that was 300mcg/hr patches in my mouth at once and I wasn't nodding anymore. Tolerance builds fast, and to me, it isn't worth it. Other drugs are more fun.

If no one minds, especially the OP for me hijacking, rather than starting an entirely new thread asking a related question, I'll just post here.

I'll preface my question by saying that I do have a tolerance to opiates due to a 40-60mg Hydrocodone Rx from a WoCo spine injury and I'm not looking to simply get high. Recently I was given a 50mcg/h patch by a source. It was my first time using Fentanyl and the patch worked so amazingly well! My pain melted away for 2.5 days but not once did I get "high" or feel that euphoria many describe. Unfortunately, at the 60 hour mark the patch became somewhat detached and I wasn't too excited about using surgical tape to hold it back on for another 12 hours. The amount of hair ripped from my leg was enough already.

I read around on the net about possible ways to extract the remaining Fent, but regrettably, I cut into my patch just to see how much gel was left before I did my homework. There was gel about the size of 2 dimes stacked on top of one another left. In the end, the safest way to control the dosage (outside of how it's recommended by the manufacturer, of course) seemed to be smoking it. I went to bed with the thoughts of periodically smoking the remaining gel when I felt I needed it. Given the knowledge that most people suggested only using enough gel the size of a pen tip, I thought it would stretch for a couple of days at least when combined with my regular Hydrocodone Rx.

Well, needless to say I woke up later this morning to no gel at all, but a film/residue in its place. I was able to peel the film off of the patch with a razor blade but obviously I had far less than the small stack of dimes size portion I had 5 hours earlier. So, my question is -- is this residue a now concentrated remainder of Fentanyl? If the gel has filler substances and a suggested size for smoking was the tip of a pen, would the same size portion of evaporated gel yield far more potent results and be dangerous? If the gel is reduced, and the reduction is due to fillers evaporating out, it only stands to reason that the same size portion would contain more Fentanyl and be risky to the consumer.

Throughout all my reading on this site as well as others, I have yet to find anything about accidental evaporation of gel then smoking the residue. Any knowledge and information on this subject would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather be far too cautious and ask silly questions than the alternative.

Again, I apologize to the OP for using his podium to ask my question.

Well, first of all, it depends on your ROA. Are you planning on wearing it? Extracting it? Chewing it? Personally, I almost always used the patches buccally - which is to say that rather than "chewing" it and making a mess, I would squish the gel over to one side, fold the patch in half and place the sticky side with the gel against the inside of my cheek. Depending on your tolerance, you get a nod pretty fast, BUT (and I can't emphasize this enough) if you are new to fentanyl, DO NOT NOD OFF WITH THE PATCH ON YOUR SKIN/IN YOUR MOUTH. It's a damn strong opiate, and if you're not used to it, it's really hard to tell the difference between almost-but-not-quite-enough and WHOA-had-too-much!. And it comes on fast and hard. That said, it's very short-acting.

Of all the patches, I liked Actavis the most. But it is highly dependent on what you do with 'em.

Contrary to what my user name may imply, I actually am not a huge fan of fentanyl except as a pain killer. It's immensely powerful for pain, but does not provide the warmth/fuzzy/happies of other opies like hydromorphone, oxymorphone or oxycodone. And you are correct about tolerance - I have lowered my dosages, but I got to the point where I was prescribed 3 100mcg fentanyl patches at once for dermal application every 2 days and I was actually using them bucally - so that was 300mcg/hr patches in my mouth at once and I wasn't nodding anymore. Tolerance builds fast, and to me, it isn't worth it. Other drugs are more fun.

Good information, thanks.................& yes, they are very dangerous to someone w/o any tolerance to Fentanyl. I think I will stick to hydrocodone & morphine for my back pain & for pleasure.

In the end, the safest way to control the dosage (outside of how it's recommended by the manufacturer, of course) seemed to be smoking it. I went to bed with the thoughts of periodically smoking the remaining gel when I felt I needed it. Given the knowledge that most people suggested only using enough gel the size of a pen tip, I thought it would stretch for a couple of days at least when combined with my regular Hydrocodone Rx.

Well, needless to say I woke up later this morning to no gel at all, but a film/residue in its place. I was able to peel the film off of the patch with a razor blade but obviously I had far less than the small stack of dimes size portion I had 5 hours earlier. So, my question is -- is this residue a now concentrated remainder of Fentanyl? If the gel has filler substances and a suggested size for smoking was the tip of a pen, would the same size portion of evaporated gel yield far more potent results and be dangerous? If the gel is reduced, and the reduction is due to fillers evaporating out, it only stands to reason that the same size portion would contain more Fentanyl and be risky to the consumer.

You are correct that the remaining residue contains fentanyl...what it is impossible to tell, with either an amount of remaining gel or your residue, is how much fentanyl remains. And where it is concentrated. If you ever have the opportunity to look at a new, unused fentanyl gel patch, you will see that if you look closely you can make out the scattered tiny strands of the actual drug distributed within the gel, and you will notice that it is not distributed evenly throughout the patch. What mainly regulates absorption of fentanyl through the patch matrix is body temperature. Once you break that system of matrix/body temperature, unless you're dealing with the contents of an entire new patch, you've got an unknown quantity of fentanyl.

I have to say that in my opinion, there is nothing safe about smoking that gel residue. You have a reasonably low tolerance if you are able to control your pain with hydrocodone. That's a wonderful thing, something many of us would love to have! Don't blow it on a few puffs of fentanyl vapor. Do you know how long fentanyl lasts when inhaled? Probably around 15 minutes. You would not get any decent pain control, you would likely make yourself nod off, and boost your tolerance...at least that would be the best outcome.

I appreciate the response as it certainly gives me something to think about. Unfortunately, the Hydrocodone is not managing my pain, hence the reason I was offered and ultimately decided to accept the Fentanyl patch to begin with. I won't go into the details about my situation, it boils down to the fact that my PM doctor is not addressing the pain I have which now has me on total disability and seeking alternative methods of coping (all legal, mind you [other than the exchange of this patch]).

Perhaps I'll simply offer the patch I had up to the porcelain God and be happy I had 2.5 days of pain free living. Thanks again.

I appreciate the response as it certainly gives me something to think about. Unfortunately, the Hydrocodone is not managing my pain, hence the reason I was offered and ultimately decided to accept the Fentanyl patch to begin with. I won't go into the details about my situation, it boils down to the fact that my PM doctor is not addressing the pain I have which now has me on total disability and seeking alternative methods of coping (all legal, mind you [other than the exchange of this patch]).

Perhaps I'll simply offer the patch I had up to the porcelain God and be happy I had 2.5 days of pain free living. Thanks again.

Can you ask your PM doctor for other options instead of fentanyl which imo, should be a last resort. Ask him/her if you can try morphine or opana. Morphine has legs for pain & so does opana. Going from hydrocodone straight to fentanyl is insane & im wondering why the heck is this doctor taking this road.

Usually doctors will switch you to perc 10/325's (oxycodone with tylenol) after the hydrocodone stopped working then after that, probably oxycontin or morphine & then the next steps would be towards either opana or fentanyl.

Can you ask your PM doctor for other options instead of fentanyl which imo, should be a last resort. Ask him/her if you can try morphine or opana. Morphine has legs for pain & so does opana. Going from hydrocodone straight to fentanyl is insane & im wondering why the heck is this doctor taking this road.

Usually doctors will switch you to perc 10/325's (oxycodone with tylenol) after the hydrocodone stopped working then after that, probably oxycontin or morphine & then the next steps would be towards either opana or fentanyl.

Agree. But I'm guessing the pain management Dr didn't write for 1 fentanyl patch. I could be wrong, but around here, you only get 'em in packs of 5 when scripted and I doubt a Dr would start you off at 50mcg/hr from hydrocodone. And scripting for one solitary patch is beyond crazy as the entire system is based on long-term pain control.

That said, Rimsy, you are entitled to adequate pain control. I have a similar (though, naturally, vastly different as well) situation as you and my pain management doctors have had to titrate up until my pain was controlled. That's their job. I don't know how many options there are in your 'hood but if your doc is truly not listening to you and your pain is out of control, you need to find another provider. I am a (currently non-practicing) M.D. and the current mandate for pain management is to treat the pain - patient care/pain management comes first. If a few junkies score that way, that's the nature of the system, but a patient must not be left in pain.

The patch seems to have worked for you and if it fits your needs (you have around-the-clock pain) then it sounds like a reasonable solution. As mentioned, other options could be Opana ER (although it is not available as generic) and oxycodone. In the future, I would recommend wearing a fentanyl patch in a location other than your leg. Ideal placement is on the hip, chest, upper arm or shoulder area - your core temperature tends to be more stable there, there's less wear/movement on the patch and, depending on placement, you can avoid hairier areas.

Good luck!

I hate to be a stickler but there is no such thing as sub-buccal administration. Buccal (pronounced buck'-el) means between the cheek and gums. Sublingual means under the tongue (you could say hypoglossal, but this is not used by conventio insofar as a dosage form, but is sometimes used as an anatomical location. Also, you never mix Greek & Latin if possible so subglossal or hypolingual are both incorrect.) Now, technically, you could say that the way patches placed in the mouth are used transmucosally and this would be fine.

This is one of my pet peeves in my classes, as it seems that all dentists and dental professionals pronounce this correctly, do there is no need physicians and pharmacologists do the same.

My other pet peeve is the drug class barbiturates, which is pronounced bar-bit-chur'-ates and not bar-bit'-choo-its. This is the most mispronounced word in medicine and pharmacology today. It's rare to find anyone who pronounces this correctly. So don't sound like an ignorant addict! Say the words right. The origin of barbiturates is widely debated by they were originally made from malonyl urea by Von Bayer in 1864 but their sedative-hypnotic properties were not recognized until Von Meriing and Emil Fischer realized this in 1902 (Fisher won the Noble Prize for it that year.) This lead to the first commercially available barbiturate, Veronal, which was Barbital.

From the introduction of Veronal and Luminol (phenobarbital as an anticonvulsant), no other sedative hypnotics were introduced until glutethimide (Doriden) in 1954, metylpryon in 1955 and methaqualone (Quaalude, everybody's favorite) in 1956.. And until 1960 with the introduction of meprobamate (Miltown & later Equanil), there were no true anxiolytic or anti anxiety drugs. After 1960, the benzodiazepine onslaught began initially with Librium (chlordiazepoxide) in 1961 and Valium (diazepam), the first true benzodiazepine (Librium was a prodrug) in 1962.

Barbiturates also have the notoriety of being the reason ECT or Electroconvulsive Therapy (aka shock treatments) were used to treat depression. In the 1920's, barbiturates were the only psychiatric drug available, and abrupt withdrawal often caused convulsions. Well. Some psychiatrists in inpatient settings noticed that people were getting better insofar as their depression after undergoing convulsions from barbiturate withdrawals.

MobiusDick

I love the sandoz nongel for buccal adminstration. Lol have one it at the moment....

I have personally tried several other nongel ones. No others come close to working bucally the way the sandoz nongel do. The others at best hold off wd. Its funny too cause friends who have scripts have to have the pharmacy hold that brand as they run out...lol no one wants the others

Anyway to me, gel did not work well at all (duragesic brand)

I have traded 100mcg watson for 75 mcg sandoz as the watson did not a thing unless i wore it

Anyone else try the nongel sandoz and agree ?

Very interesting post. I like you educative style. Why not start a blog?

Grrr.
I just posted a huge response
freaken lost it because of the dam rain all over my screen. No.patience to wait until I'm in the dam bus.. Lol

I'm struggling to read everything as I don't want to miss an answer to my original question..

No apologies needed for hyjacking. We are all just attempting to get the answers we can not usually ask the Dr.

I also don't need a overdose lecture. I have the tolerance of an elephant..

I was recently weaned from 200 mic every two days.. Switched to methadone and switching back to the patch.. I hate the methadone..

I have a nasty bone disease that has daily chronic huge pain..

Anyhow, what people are not awre of the Teva patch is the easier and best way to smoke.. No extraction needed.. I'm giving away the bug secret that I see other posts onky elude to.. So, maybe I'm not supposed to post. ? I'm sure someone will say something if so..

So the original Ratio brand that Teva purchased, you could easily cook and inject.. (Even with a huge tolerance, very easy to od..)
The new Teva it did not work at all. No affect at all.

But to smoke it,..

You take the patch cut it into anywhere from 5 - 10 strips
At first, I used small strips..
Now I cut it into quaters..

Take the patch plastic and all.. Remember, the Teva patch has the Fentanyl in with the adhesive..

Stick the patch to a piece of tinfoil .. Shiny side up.. Then take your flame very lightly underneath, very fast as to not burn the medicine.. The plastic will shrival up and pop right off . Leaving a sticky substances with the Fent in it..

Chase it just like the dragon.. Just follow the strip.. A nice strong high. Until you are tolerant to that.. Now I am chasing stronger forms. Lol..

I love Fent, but it is a crappy prefferance .. It has NO LEGS.. It is a short acting opiate.. That is why is is prefered for surgery and they have produced a long acting patch for pain..

Ps. The Sandoz brand, you don't burn the plastic off first.. You have to inhale a bit of the crap at the same time..

I personally have never extracted the gel from a patch.. I am a lazy user and want the fastest easiet manner possible.. Lol

Thx for evreryones sharring..

Holy Frick, I just felt like I was back in University..
But, I have my pet peeves.. Living in Canada. We have INSITE. Where you can attend to shoot up supervised with clean new equipment . People often call it "The 'Safe' injection site"..
There is NOTHING SAFE about injecting .. It is a 'SUPERVISED' injection site..

But I need to remember that not all addicts are educate in University.. They know how to cook dope and how much it should cost, but have no idea of where and when certain medication were formulated.. Having worked as a CDA for 15 years before going back to Univetsity, I understood this post.. But I am also highly dyslexic and have huge ADHA.. hence struggling to pay attention and read these responses.. I spent thousands of dollars on a tutor because of these learning disabilities and my GPA being important..

It is kinda an argument over words.. We all knew (Educated or not), what was actually meant..

Good on you for being able to afford and have the brains enough to either be in dentistry or pharmacology.. I wasn't quite sure which one..
If you're becoming a dentist and good CDA pm me. Kidding..

The easiest way to use the Sandoz patch -- any pharmacist can and does order them if you ask, as everyone has their favorite brand -- is even easier than as prescribed. Open it, do not peel the backing off, but cut, with ordinary scissors, the size that equals the amount of pain you're in. Sandoz has by far the most fentanyl loaded into its adhesive and there's no need to squeeze, heat, inject or otherwise get fancy with it. Peel the backing off. Place the mini-strip on the inside of your lip or cheek. (You have, of course, done a test piece that's tiny and know the amount you need.) Keep the main piece in a small, see-through box because they're extremely attracted to static electricity and vanish into thin air (until you've hunted for a reflection with a flashlight for hours). It's the best way to have control over your own pain as an adult. It doesn't work with any other brand.

All right You Thou What Shall Knot Be Named, wise-arse fancy-pants dental whatever, how to you pronounce arterioatherscloletheropotomosis of the heart? Nobody says it anymore out of sheer fear.

I have extensive experience with numerous brands of Fentanyl patches and in almost all mcg's except 100mcg, other than using two 50mcg patches at once. I would highly discourage anyone from using Fentanyl that is not very opioid tolerant, now when I say very opioid tolerant I DON'T mean someone that uses 25-50mg hydrocodone, codeine or tramadol a day or someone that uses on occasion, Fentanyl is multiple multiple times stronger than Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Hydromorphone and even Oxymorphone it CAN and WILL kill you if not used carefully. Another very important thing is Fentanyl is a full synthetic drug and from my experience acts very differently from other opiates/opioids especially when it comes to the "high or euphoria", along with that if it's not used as directed your tolerance will skyrocket insanely fast resulting in horrible WD's even after a very short time. To go a little more into detail on the effects vs other drugs, in my opinion Fentanyl provides a very limited high or euphoria experience even when orally abused. At one time I was on 480mg Oxycodone, a Dilaudid creme preparation where 30-8mg dilaudid tablets were ground up and mixed in with Aspercreme or Vanacreme and applied 1/2 tsp every 4-6 hrs along with a 25mcg Fentanyl patch changed every 48hrs. For the most part I would save my Fentanyl patches in the event I was to run out of my oxy or encountered a severe spike in pain due to doing something wrong. At times I did try oral administration of the patch due to a severe pain spike, I can tell you it helped with the pain but offered no feeling like oxycodone did and after a very bad 8 day stretch of oral use the feeling of my normal oxy routine was NEVER the same again. Once that happened I no longer resorted to oral use and went back to transdermal as my WD's were quite noticeable after stopping oral Fentanyl even while still taking up to 480mg oxy per day, that experience alone taught me exactly how potent Fentanyl is and how easy it is to get to that point especially if you are trying to compare the feeling to that of oxy or others. As for the best patches I found the Watson or Activis gel patches to be the best and also stick the best, I avoided all matrix patches as I had very limited success with them. As I said do your homework very well and try to put a lot of thought into it before starting any Fentanyl use both therapeutic or recreational unless your prepared for the quick fallout, I would put it very very high on the list of last resort only options right below heroin! Good luck & be careful!

i no this is an extremely old post but if you could inbox me i have a few questions about the duresgic gel brand. thanks