• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Fentanyl patch questions

Mjones

Greenlighter
Mallinckrodt Fentanyl transdermal system 25mcg/hr 2.75mg Fentanyl. My friend is wondering if this is a type that’s ok to cut and get a reliable portion. Hasn’t opened it but seems really flat so guessing it’s the sticker type that is ok to portion. He’s heard you can chew it etc.

Since the patches weren't designed for buccal/sublingual/sublabial use, the dose could vary a lot. While I have misgivings about fentanyl being used like this, all I can say is don't try alone and remember it can take a few minutes to reach peak plasma levels i.e. people don't pull a blue as quickly as they do with H.

The most likely scenario would be that the active substance is evenly distributed throughout the patch, as opposed to there being "hot spots". This is true with 99% of pharmaceuticals, that they are almost completely homogenous unless they have some mechanism that deliberately makes them not so.

The whole point was just something to last a week for oxy refill. Maybe using patches as intended would be best. He was afraid the patch might be too much. Habit at only 50mg/day oxy. Enough to be bad without. Doesn’t want to add a dependence to this shit too.

^I would just say titrate your dosage slowly. Take small pieces of the patch to find a point of reference. Use an Opioid dosage calculator/chart and then do your best to use a piece of the patch that you think best represents the appropriate dosage. It's generally viewed as a dangerous process, but so long as you take it slowly, you should be fine.

So it seems one 2.75mg patch (25mcg/hr) is equivalent to about 180mg oxy. only looking to do the bear minimum with these things. It currently takes about 30mg oxy a day to keep w/d away and only have 2 more days of that before 7 more days of nothing besides a couple of these patches. Leaning towards cutting approx 1/20th square of the outside edge of patch, chew for 30min, wait an hour and go from there.

Last edited:
Ok finally got around to just opening one. Pretty confident it’s equally distributed. It’s a small see thru sticker a little larger than a quarter.

Hello everyone. Is there really THAT MUCH difference between patch manufacturers/styles? I had my patch increased in dosage from 25mcg to 50mcg several months ago. My pharmacy recently switched brands and the new one was SO much stronger, I actually had to take it off. I ended up replacing about 25% of the backing to reduce patch/skin contact for the next cpl patches til I got used to them. Sorry if this shows up twice, I'm new member. Thank you everyone, any input is appreciated.

Some styles have a gel reservoir which cannot really be portioned so yes, there are big differences. This isn’t a potency differences by manufacturer post though. It started as a question wether the sticker type can be safely/reliably portioned

In response to the members question about portioning his friends patch and chewing. My current experience with Fentanyl is limited to transdermal prescribed use only so I can't comment on chewing. That being said, I have been prescribed opiates a long time and I believe another member of the group summed it up correctly..." anyone not EXTREMELY experienced with opiates, shouldn't even be in the same room with this drug." You cannot imagine how powerful it is and how fast it can kill you, please use caution. Avatar pic is side by side of lethal doses of Heroin and Fentanyl.

Last edited:
Some styles have a gel reservoir which cannot really be portioned so yes, there are big differences. This isn’t a potency differences by manufacturer post though. It started as a question wether the sticker type can be safely/reliably portioned
very sorry new member, I thought was open thread for general questions as per title. I will open another. Thx

aware of how powerful it is. Your avatar shows 3mg as a lethal dose and the patch contains 2.75mg, pretty scary. Portioning ended up being around 1/30th piece of patch. Seems to be enough to help with w/d, only thing after here. Also, orally b/a is only
supposed to be about 50%, used as intended is like 90%. Treating it as if 100% though.

Glad it worked for you. I have gone through WD, it's no fun. The RLS is the worst part for me. Taken transdermally as prescribed, the patch has given me the best pain relief and quality of life I've experienced in a long time, while making me feel almost normal. It's a shame that the hype over Fentanyl may cause many of us chronic pain sufferers to lose the best relief available. But it is a dangerous drug. I recommend it only for people who personally believe death may be better than their pain, cause it may kill you. People do die from defective patches...

It’s pretty crazy each one contains a potentially lethal dose. And these are just the weakest strength (that I know of) available. Relying a lot on that system sticking it on.