• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Fentanyl HCl is not dissolving

Hchemist

Greenlighter
I have dissolved Furanyl Fentanyl HCl and regurlar fentanyl HCl many times in water with no problems. However I currently have Furanyl Fentanyl HCl sitting in a cloudy solution and I cannot get it to dissolve. I have tried heating it and shaking it vigorously but nothing is working. I have dissolved this same batch in the water before without any problems, but the most recent solution I made has been sitting in a saline nasal spray for days. Whenever I let it sit for a while, most of the fentnyl just sinks to the bottom. I really dont want to use this the way it is now because I know there are hot spots and that is obviously very dangerous. But I am already withdrawing and I dont think I can force myself to wait mcuh longer. Will someone please tell me what would cause a water soluble salt, that you have previously dissolved with no problem, to all of the sudden not dissolve the next time you tried to mix it with the same solvent it dissolved in previously.

You win some you lose some. Microfilter the solution and treat is at though everything dissolved.

Thats what I have been thinking of doing but its really annoying me to not know why there is a precipitate floating around in the solution. If its fentanyl then I dont really wanna throw it away if I can do something simple like add a little acid to get it to dissolve. If I could figure out what happeneded to cause it not to dissolve, when it has done so in the past, then maybe I can fix this and make sure it doesnt happen again. I really dont want to try and make another bottle of nasal spray and have the same thing happen.

^ You HAVE to throw it away according to safety procedures. It's not debatable. Treat it as a mishap, you probably got fentanyl maleate.

Okay consider it thrown away. I still want to know why it dissolved the first time I put it in water and not the second time. If it was fentanyl meleate then why did its behavior change from the first time to the second time? And is there anything that I could do to make this more soluble in the future?

^ The thing is you don't know what the insoluble component is, could be small chunks of magnesium stearate or God knows. Fentanyl HCl is soluble in water, you wanted to make fentanyl HCl solution, you got a solution. Forget the part that's insoluble it could be anything. If you're really paranoid about it being fentanyl, you can add a drop of concentrated HCl to the solution and see if it dissolves, then buffer it afterwards.

Alight thank you. The reason I really wanted to figure out what caused the precipitate is that I have dissolved the same powder in the same liquid in the past and there was no precipitate. I want to know if I could have contaminated the powdersince the last bottle I made, and if so how. And if its not that, then what happened to change the solubility of what I had.

It could be that some of it isn't actually HCL. When my fu-fent wouldn't fully dissolve I would add ascorbic acid, and that made it all dissolve just fine. Not sure how comparable fu-fent is to normal Fentanyl though.

I will definitely try the acid idea if I have the problem again. Im sure furanyl fent is very similar to regular fentanyl solubility but I have never had the problem with regular fent (probably because I use about 3 times as much powder when I make solutions with Fu-Fent). But it doesnt matter anyway because I had the problem with furanyl-fent just like you, so hopefully some mild acid will remedy the problem. I'm still curious as to why the furanyl fent hcl dissolved the first time I mixed it with water and is not dissolving now. I mean if its the hcl salt then a solution of it in water should be acidic already because strong acid (HCl) + weak base (fent) --> acidic solution. So I dont understand why more acid would help dissolve it, but I will report back after I try adding a small amount of acid to see if it works or not. Was the insoluble furanyl fentanyl you had the freebase or a water-soluble salt?

Ok so I added about 5mg of citric acid and the precipitate immediately dissolved upon mixing:D. If anyone can explain a possible reason for why the salt didnt dissolve in the first place I would love an explanation.

Ok so I added about 5mg of citric acid and the precipitate immediately dissolved upon mixing:D. If anyone can explain a possible reason for why the salt didnt dissolve in the first place I would love an explanation.

Good, you followed my advice. It's because it was a base and fentanyl base is insoluble lol. Upon protonating the base you render it soluble. Now you know what it was.

Hi all I know that this is an older thread but wanted to ask if one had fent freebase and dissolved it with alcohol then added water would this become nasally bioavailable or do I still need to add ascorbic acid. If so can this acid be added afterwards to the fent alcohol solution for a nasal spray?

The alcohol would only be useful to make it soluble without converting it to a salt. Just use the absorbic acid and water. Don't overdo it either as that will be nasty to use nasally if you do. Just enough to dissolve the fent.

edit: Citric acid can be used too

Ok thanks tacodude. Unfortunately I already have it in the alcohol water solution. Can I add the acid afterwards? Or is my fent ruined?

Yeah it all dissolved there just dosent seem be be any effect.
So does alcohol in there mean I haven't ruined it?
Thanks again taco

Nope it should be fine. Don't try to dose it excessively hoping it should work.