Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Feeling lightheaded and dizzy after mdma use

Lazyoaf

Bluelighter
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice during a hard time.I have been using MDMA for a year and a half now. Since April last year I have been experiencing sporadic dizzy and lightheaded spells which have become more constant recently. The symptoms pretty much crept up on me and I only realised recently that they are linked to mdma use.

I have a background of mental illnesses ranging from OCD (which has now diminished to the point where it isn't a problem) and anxiety, but I function as a normal person. I had a family bereavement in 2012, which stupidly lead to me starting MDMA use to escape from the reality of life. I am now receiving counselling for my personal problems.

I have used the substance around 9 times since September 2012, with a gap of 1-2 months between use. I have dosed 150mg around 4 times and around 50-75mg 3 times. The only exception was in August 2013 where I took 150mg and then redosed another 150mg 3-4 hours later. I have also used coke and weed a few times during these gaps. I never mix drugs apart from a few pulls on a spliff. All of my drug use is fairly sporadic rather than a habit.

The symptoms were brief at first, and I attributed it to stress in my life.
The symptoms have become more constant and debilitating as the gaps between use became smaller. The last few times I took MDMA were November 2013, January 1st and February 1st of this year. From November I started to feel run down and dizzy frequently. I attributed these symptoms with anemia or the winter weather, but had a blood test a few weeks ago that ruled it out. I feel really stupid that I didn't consider that the mdma might have been affecting me.

After my last roll a week and a half ago, I now realise the mdma is definitely at the root of my symptoms. I came down with a really bad sore throat and cough (possibly not related my roll), chills, nausea and once more the lightheadedness. All of those symptoms have passed, but the dizziness remains.

I feel dizzy and faint sometimes when walking, but also when sitting down. Also sometimes my vision is really dim and it's hard to focus on bright lights and text on phones/laptops, etc. I tend to feel better in the evenings as I'm winding down. I don't feel motivated and I feel fairly vunerable. I function almost the same and I'm in control of what I'm doing, but I just feel a bit spaced out. It's the hardest in social situations as it's like a piece of me is missing. My anxiety levels have not increased. I also feel that I have lost the magic with mdma. I no longer feel euphoric when rolling.

I already went to my gp and he attributed it to my past experiences of anxiety, and also my family bereavement, rather than the drugs. My counsellor said the same when I spoke to her last week, but that perhaps mdma doesn't agree with me. My parents think it's a mixture of the drugs, my depression and me working really hard the past year. I also haven't been sleeping well for years, I always had a tendency to go bed at 2am-3am and wake 7am for work.

I'm inclined to agree with them, but the problem with what my Gp said is that I often feel dizzy when I am perfectly relaxed. I'm hoping that this is something that will pass, as my short and long term memory are absolutely fine, as is my intelligence. I'm just not as mentally sharp or as energised as I usually am. I will never touch mdma or any other drug again as long as I live. I have been swimming the past year and will up my exercise to three times a week, sleep loads and eat well. I'm unsure about medicating it, but I have began taking neurozan plus supplements as a start anyway. I find positive thinking makes me feel better about my situation and posting here is part of the positivity.

I guess that my pattern of use never allowed my serotonin levels to completely replenish. With me quitting mdma, I hope I'll find that I just needed to give myself a break and I will be normal again.

Thanks for reading everyone :)

Last edited:
How certain are you that MDMA is the only drug you've taken? Some of the newer alternatives to MDMA might be rather difficult to distinguish from MDMA in their effects, but have much longer & more debilitating after effects.

Regardless, the symptoms you describe are consistent with those associated with serotonin depletion. They are often also coupled with depression, anxiety, lost appetite, sleep disturbance, paranioa & the always fun, brain zaps!

You can be assured that provided you refrain from serotonergic stimulant drugs your condition should continue to improve. If it does not, you should continue to seek advice from medical professionals.

In some cases, it's being supposed that MDMA or a powerful psychedelic trip such as on psilocybin, might "jog" the brains serotonin system back into gear & that this might be why people respond so well to therapy involving these drugs. But I recomend more traditional treatment, or better still, positive thinking!

Best of luck!

Thanks! The brain fog is sometimes intense and other times almost none existent. It oscillates between the two everyday. I've beaten ocd before, which went from being extremely debilitating to almost non existent, starting from before I started cbt for it. Therefore I'm hopeful I can overcome this.

That neurozan plus supplement I'm taking everyday contains 20mg of 5htp, amongst other vitamins such as vitamin b, d and so on. I've heard conflicting things about 5htp, even in such a small dose I'm a bit wary. Do I need to be?