Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Fear and Loathing or ''Where the buffalo Roam''?

Which one is better and stuff?

• Total voters

PurpleKush1

Bluelighter
I think Buffalo is way better then fear and loathing. More interesting,more funny, and less irrealistic in some points as fear and loathing. The rum diary (an adaptation to a novel of Hunter S thompson) Is good too imo. So which one is your favorite?

I liked Bill Murray as HST. I enjoyed where WtBR. It just wasn't obsessed over by me and my little druggie friends to the degree that FaLiLV was.
Johhny Depp>Bill Murray, Benecio Del Toro>Peter Boyle, Terry Gilliam>Whoever the fuck directed Where the Buffalo Roam. Murray and Depp both spent absurd amounts of time prepping to play him. Johnny Depp became HST while it felt like Bill Murray was doing more of a imitation of him. Still good but not Depp level. It's comical to me that Depp still doesn't seem to have rid himself of Thompson. His speaking, his vocal cadence is still very similar to what HST's was.

OTOH, I read The Rum Diary right after it was finally published and I liked it. Not overwhelmingly so, but I liked it. The movie I was luke warm about but definitely wanted to give it a chance. I barely made it through. Very jagged, slow pacing. Meh.
Different strokes, PK1.

I thought wtbr was terrible. I vividly remember cringing at one scene where Thompson is getting shot at by a police helicopter.

I liked Bill Murray as HST. I enjoyed where WtBR. It just wasn't obsessed over by me and my little druggie friends to the degree that FaLiLV was.
Johhny Depp>Bill Murray, Benecio Del Toro>Peter Boyle, Terry Gilliam>Whoever the fuck directed Where the Buffalo Roam. Murray and Depp both spent absurd amounts of time prepping to play him. Johnny Depp became HST while it felt like Bill Murray was doing more of a imitation of him. Still good but not Depp level. It's comical to me that Depp still doesn't seem to have rid himself of Thompson. His speaking, his vocal cadence is still very similar to what HST's was.

OTOH, I read The Rum Diary right after it was finally published and I liked it. Not overwhelmingly so, but I liked it. The movie I was luke warm about but definitely wanted to give it a chance. I barely made it through. Very jagged, slow pacing. Meh.
Different strokes, PK1.
I agree with you that Depp plays Hunter S way better then Murray. But imo the whole story of where the buffalo roam was a bit more interesting than Fear and Loathing. I think if they made where the buffalo roam in this decade it woulda been better in some ways. Fear and Loathing has some great scenes though, the bath and oranges scene was hilarious, the cop convention,etc. I just didnt like how irreleastic some of the things were. Take for example the Acid trip where everything is lizards gangbangin well i dont think 2 hits of acid can cause that lol. More like Datura. And the whole adrenilin thing was meh too.

I think honestly both are good, but the humor of Bufalo is a bit better. More realistic. Rum diary wasnt that great honestly after finishing the second part of the movie .The part where they eye drop some shit into their eyes that makes them trip, is far feteched, is that even possible? And the end seemed rushed as hell. Maybe i like Buffalo more then Fear because ive seen buffalo less times....i literally know Fear nad Loathing by heart lol.
I thought wtbr was terrible. I vividly remember cringing at one scene where Thompson is getting shot at by a police helicopter.
DOnt remember that scene so wel....of course you have to keep in mind the effects and all will be alot less good on a 30 yeard old movie haha

Thompson wrote Fear and Loathing in about as over the top a manner as he possibly could. It's always interesting to me that people take the drug use so seriously in the book/film. HST and Acosta did a lot of drugs but on their trip there was no super stash of drugs in a suitcase, no actual adrenal gland gleaned from some poor saps corpse. I'm not saying you took it as gospel truth. Just that I've run into a lot of people that took the book as a blow by blow account of what actually happened.

The visual aspect of things is typically what makes a Terry Gilliam film. The lizard scene was ridiculous but by and large the visuals, as typical with him, were meant to be over the top.
I loved that film. I still love the book. The adrenal fluid scene is dumb in nature but I couldn't even tell you how many times I timed a drugs peak to coincide with Depp's when he "Took too much." Not just a "Tiny taste." Haha.

We used to get acid in mouthwash bottles. Those tiny little bottles. Once or twice I observed friends of mine drop a hit or two onto their eyeball(s). It apparently worked well. So, there's at least a degree of authenticity there.
Whoever edited The Rum Diary did a awful job. Not that there was a ton to work with, but still.

I think Buffalo is way better then fear and loathing. More interesting,more funny, and less irrealistic in some points as fear and loathing. The rum diary (an adaptation to a novel of Hunter S thompson) Is good too imo. So which one is your favorite?

Agreed. I like how Where The Buffalo Roam focused more on HST as a journalist and had a strong social message. What message there was in Fear & Loathing got lost in all the drug-trip zaniness

Thompson wrote Fear and Loathing in about as over the top a manner as he possibly could. It's always interesting to me that people take the drug use so seriously in the book/film. HST and Acosta did a lot of drugs but on their trip there was no super stash of drugs in a suitcase, no actual adrenal gland gleaned from some poor saps corpse. I'm not saying you took it as gospel truth. Just that I've run into a lot of people that took the book as a blow by blow account of what actually happened.

The visual aspect of things is typically what makes a Terry Gilliam film. The lizard scene was ridiculous but by and large the visuals, as typical with him, were meant to be over the top.
I loved that film. I still love the book. The adrenal fluid scene is dumb in nature but I couldn't even tell you how many times I timed a drugs peak to coincide with Depp's when he "Took too much." Not just a "Tiny taste." Haha.

We used to get acid in mouthwash bottles. Those tiny little bottles. Once or twice I observed friends of mine drop a hit or two onto their eyeball(s). It apparently worked well. So, there's at least a degree of authenticity there.
Whoever edited The Rum Diary did a awful job. Not that there was a ton to work with, but still.
Hahaha i watched the lizard scene on shrooms and i had to turn off the movie it was too much lol. I knew honestly that the movie was exagerated but i thought there really had the superstash and all. Interestign about the acid in the eyeballs. I guess it makes sense as your eyes can absorb it. It reminds me of the news going crazy about people dropping shots of liquor into theire eyes. Thats just stupid. At least acid wont damage it and wont make the person feel in horrible pain for a cheap buzz lol.

Im sure depp uses recreationally from time to time....he just plays the role too well :p

I think Rum diary couldve been alot better. As soon as i saw that they made another movie based on a HST novel i had to watch it. Was way below what i expected. Suposedly Depp is saying they are going to make a new one. That would be great. I noticed that it seems the eyedropping administration is becoming popular in movies. Rum Diary, Looper where everybody who uses uses an eyedropper (interesting movie by the way, give it a watch if you like the plot) and another movie in dont remember the name. I hope it doesnt become real because i cant eyedrop for shit lol. Visine was always useless when smoking because i cant aim it for shit.

Agreed. I like how Where The Buffalo Roam focused more on HST as a journalist and had a strong social message. What message there was in Fear & Loathing got lost in all the drug-trip zaniness

Definitly. Imo the best is all little bit of both worlds. Where the buffalo roam wouldve been perfect with Depp as HST imo. I hope they make another HST movie. I usually odnt like older movies but i got to say i still prefer Bufalo to Fear and loathing.

Hunter Thompson himself hated "Where the Buffalo Roam", here's what he had to say about it....

"Horrible pile of crap. Murray did a good job. But it was a bad script. You can't beat a bad script. It was just a horrible movie. A cartoon. But Bill Murray did a good job. We actually wrote and shot several different endings and beginnings and they all got cut out in the end. It was disappointing. Not to mention that I have to live with it. It's like go into a bar somewhere and people start to giggle and you don't know why, and they're all watching that fucking movie."

The only things that make it watchable/interesting for me is Murray's performance, and (even more interestingly) is that there is material covered from "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail 72" which is just as good a book, if not better, than "Las Vegas". But as Thompson said, the script was laughable...and it's extremely unfair now that its often compared to the "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" film....Terry Gilliam is just far too talented and creative of a director. Alex Cox was originally signed on to be the director...Praise Allah that Cox was outed and they went with Gilliam instead!

The Rum Diary was a weak book to base a film on. The ending of the novel is rushed and the plot is somewhat disjointed. I would have hated to be the script writer trying to make a decent film out of it.

The Rum Diary was a weak book to base a film on. The ending of the novel is rushed and the plot is somewhat disjointed. I would have hated to be the script writer trying to make a decent film out of it.

True, but in reading the book i felt a really laid back kind of vibe about its atmosphere. Moments of sheer anxiety and chaos, sure. But Generally, just a mellow guy sipping rum in a tropical paradise surrounded by interesting people, writing for a failing newspaper and taking his time about it because he was surrounded by such beauty of every kind. The film seemed to take a Fear and Loathing approach to a story that was the direct opposite of insanity and Vegas.

Pretty much. I also like Murray's performance, but Peter Boyle as his attorney?

Fear and Loathing by leaps and bounds.
Yeah his attorney in FaL did a better job
i heard they will make another HST movie, i hope it will be better material this time

True, but in reading the book i felt a really laid back kind of vibe about its atmosphere. Moments of sheer anxiety and chaos, sure. But Generally, just a mellow guy sipping rum in a tropical paradise surrounded by interesting people, writing for a failing newspaper and taking his time about it because he was surrounded by such beauty of every kind. The film seemed to take a Fear and Loathing approach to a story that was the direct opposite of insanity and Vegas.

I totally agree about the laid back atmosphere. Your right it really is the anti fear and loathing as far as the story structure is concerned. It also never adequately tied up the real estate deal side story that is used as a plot device mid book. Just not a good book IMO. Most of hunters writing just doesn't lend itself well to cinema.

The Great Shark hunt could be a good thing to adapt. Not the whole book, but the eponymous story, with that nutter Yale Bluth. Funny tale.

I have yet to see Where the Buffalo roam, but I now own a copy of the dvd so I'll check it out soon. I always thought the first half hour to an hour of Fear and Loathing was amazing and hilarious, then it lost it's way. Still think the casting of Depp and Del Toro was perfect though.