• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

FDA (Fear Medical Advancement) and buprenorphine

fractiousrabbit

Greenlighter
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160330135726.htm?trendmd-shared=1
I was reading the above article and the following stood out:
"Approval for a matchstick-sized implant called Probuphine that would release buprenorphine in a steady dose over six months was postponed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). An advisory committee recommended FDA approval in January, citing the benefits of reducing the burden of a medication regimen. Those against it say it could also put people at greater risk by reducing the patient doctor connection. "
I find the action typical of the FDA regarding certain drug classes, and diappointing. How can someone find out which organizations or individuals lobbied against the advisory panel to approve it? I really would be interested in knowing.
The complaint that it puts people at risk by reducing the number of office visits seems especially disingenuous to me. The few doctors I have talked to about suboxone, and one was my own PCP who is certified to prescribe it are not as knowledgeable as they should be and have some strange opinions about this medication. Most stated they believe people want to get on it to sell for other drugs and they also are of the belief it's almost as euphoric than say oxy variations. I told him he should ask his patients where they would rank it in terms of euphoria as my patients would not prefer any high they get from bupe over the usual fare by any stretch.

Decreasing the number of office visits would allow these docs to treat more patients and the fact that it is implanted would alleviate the fears that its being diverted. At every turn it looks like the people in charge of these decisions are just stacking the deck more and more against getting people help. Anything that doesn't sufficiently penialize or marginalize opioid users just won't do and has no place on their planet of perfect people.
Has anyone else heard about this implant coming to the US?

"Putting people at greater risk by reducing doctor-patient connection" is about the fact that Suboxone is theoretically supposed to be given only along with group or individual therapy which as we all know is not really done. I 100% agree about the ignorance of most Sub drs, I am fortunate to have an accomodating one. I have mixed feelings about a bupe implant, the naltrexone implant I believe is an awful idea, the bupe implant still has the potential to raise some issues in the case of need for legitimate pain management especially in acute situation and does not afford a lot of opportunity for titration of dose which is important in some cases. So I think it's a mixed bag but something that would be worthwhile to have in the clinical toolbox.