View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Favorite Benzodiazepine for a Psychedlic Come-down

PsychonautRyan

Bluelighter
I'm planning on tripping in these next few weeks, however, if worse comes to worst, what's your preferred benzodiazepine both for inducing sleep as well as calming down the panic/anxiety during a bad trip?

Xanax hits the hardest and fastest if you need something to work fast. I don't know about RC benzos but aside from that pretty much any of them will do depending on how they effect you.

Xanax hits the hardest and fastest if you need something to work fast. I don't know about RC benzos but aside from that pretty much any of them will do depending on how they effect you.

Etizolam works too.

Or better yet, etizolam + pyrazolam at ratio of around 2:1 or 3:1. Taken sublingually, the pyraz kicks in nice and fast (effects begin to be felt immediately) and isn't too sedating while the etiz is no slouch either but takes a little longer and has a bit more "oomph" to it. Just make you take a bit less both so you don't overdo it.

I would say alprazolam, although it is not considered a hypnotic. Temazepam hits fast and is good hypnotic. Usually stop my trips with clonazepam, but it is not very sedating and hits not so quick, but I am on it for about 10 years and know the drug very well.

Clonazepam. My favorite benzodiazepine.

Not very useful to stopping "AAAAHHHH I'M HAVING A PANIC ATTACK!", in that case you want something that works faster, but for the comedown? Absolutely.

I've been using bromazepam for comedowns lately, though. Works OK.

I don't know....chewing up a clonipin sure works fast....4mg and chewed up and I feel it pretty quick

Ativan works the quickest if put under the tougnue and allowed to dissolve

4mg clonazepam is way too much. More like 0.5-1mg but not too fast acting. Unless, of course, you have a huge tolerance.
Ativan is a decent option, 1-2mg to start, up to 4 if necessary, and it can be given i.m. if you have the proper formulation in vials (few will.)
Xanax is a poor choice, leads to amnesia, blackouts, nudity, etc. in the context of psychedelics/other drugs.
RC benzos are not well enough understood, stick with the tried and true.
Valium is ideal, 10mg-ish to start or more with tolerance, 5 if you're small or sensitive, up to 30-40 if you have a high tolerance. Librium probably OK too.
Bromazepam is good if you can get it.
A hypnotic like temazepam or Dalmane might be a decent option to knock you out totally, but I'd go with the anxiolytic options above.
Don't combine with booze or other downers.

also useful: hydroxyzine, an antihistamine sedative with 5ht2a antagonist qualities
anti-psychotics can be of some utility in the management of acutely agitated states, Leary recommends 50mg chlorpromazine i.m. which is probably a good starting place, in a clinical setting I'd use haldol 5/ativan 2 i.m. q1-2h until the patient is no longer agitated. Thorazine is appealing because it is promiscuous across different receptors, as LSD is albeit in the other direction, haldol a bit less so.

Last edited:
Jeez SKL, haldol and thorazine, you're kidding right? Psychs increase muscle tension for most and using either one of those typicals you're gonna have a bad time. You might be sedated but unable to move because of the tendency to increase muscle rigidity in patients that aren't even on psychs. You could add artane or cogentin or something but that seems over-board. If you're gonna use an AP, the orodispersible olanzapine tablets would be ideal, prob 7.5-10 mg. Works fast and has a slutty binding profile, the sluttiest of any AP iirc.

People have a wide array of reactions to benzos in general and I would be cautious before administering them to anyone that has no experience with them. I would go with what you have taken before that has a predictable reaction. I guess there is no real right answer. If someone is benzo naive I would use ativan, no doubt. The mildest and most predictable IMO. If you know what works for you, then stick with that. I like xanax myself and I like the cajones it has. It works in like 10 or 15 minutes and I am totally mellowed out but I have had a benzo dependency before so YMMV. Klonopin is pretty good too and the best for daily/long term use IMO. Valium makes me terribly depressed both while on it and for the following days. It just depends really on a lot of factors, but in a crunch, whatever you have will have to do.

In re: Haldol and Thorazine, I'm talking about acutely agitated states and threat to sef/others, or a great deal of noise in your private residence that is going to attract untoward attention ... I used to keep a few vials/ampules on hand just in case an extreme situation were to occur when we were taking psychedelics, never had to use them. Kept 'em in my emergency kit with my narcan and BVM.

And actually, yeah, now that you'd mention it I'd probably add 50 benadryl to the 5/2, now that you mention it, but not too many times, for risk of delirium. Too much Ativan can also be disinhibiting. But anyway this is a rapid sedation protocol familiar to psych ER docs and while I would hope it would never be necessary to undertake it at the home or in a festival tent, I always came prepared to do so.

Zydis is not a bad choice, although I tend to go the more traditional route(s). As far as receptor promiscuity in neuroleptics go clozapine probably takes the cake but for obvious reasons isn't a good choice for acute administration. The classic choice in these cases has always been Thorazine but Haldol/Benadryl/Ativan 5/50/2 repeated as necessary is probably the best choice to rapidly bring down the severely agitated subject.

But yeah, Valium is my best recommendation, barring aforementioned severe agitation. Ativan a close second.

Also just the idea of having BZDs/a trip-stopper on hand can be of comfort with anxiety on the come-up anyway.

Last edited:
Shhhh... Keep this benzo talk on the down low, or the OD junkies will start taking over PD with their endless taper schedule posts lol!!

OD junkies will start taking over PD

We're already here, dude. I think well in excess of 50% of PD (75%? more?) has, has had, or is on their way to having a dope or benzo problem.

^Ya I know, just joking! You gotta admit though, it's hard to research a substance in OD, when you have to sift through dozens of pages of taper schedules and WD posts. I appreciate how clean PD is moderated in that respect, I guess it's the nature of the beast.
On a side note, the fact that most psych users eventually move on to harder addictions says something about the long-term effectiveness of so called 'psychedelic enlightenment'.
Anyway, I vote for alprazolam as the best comedown benzo.

IME alprazolam, lormetazepam and diazepam are pretty good for comedowns. I find clonazepam too subtle for a come down but it's not bad still.

Any benzo in sufficient quantities should do the trick really... Etizolam is my favourite one out of the 5 benzos I've sampled (etizolam, lormetazepam, alprazolam, clonazolam, lorazepam in this order of preference).

4mg clonazepam is way too much. More like 0.5-1mg but not too fast acting. Unless, of course, you have a huge tolerance.
Ativan is a decent option, 1-2mg to start, up to 4 if necessary, and it can be given i.m. if you have the proper formulation in vials (few will.)

Valium is ideal, 10mg-ish to start or more with tolerance, 5 if you're small or sensitive, up to 30-40 if you have a high tolerance. Librium probably OK too.
Bromazepam is good if you can get it.
A hypnotic like temazepam or Dalmane might be a decent option to knock you out totally, but I'd go with the anxiolytic options above.
Don't combine with booze or other downers.

also useful: hydroxyzine, an antihistamine sedative with 5ht2a antagonist qualities
anti-psychotics can be of some utility in the management of acutely agitated states, Leary recommends 50mg chlorpromazine i.m. which is probably a good starting place, in a clinical setting I'd use haldol 5/ativan 2 i.m. q1-2h until the patient is no longer agitated. Thorazine is appealing because it is promiscuous across different receptors, as LSD is albeit in the other direction, haldol a bit less so.
I've actually been hit in the leg by PGtivan....

How about flunitrazepam?

Not bad to knock you out (I'd say the same for temazepam and flurazepam) but risks dis-inhibition if it doesn't, which can lead to all manner of fuckery.