FAQs: General Law; Arrests and Interrogations; Searches and Seizures

Upon arrest or investigation, the police are permitted to search only the area within an automobile that is "within reach" of the suspect(s). This area is also referred to as a "zone of safety".

The trunk requires a search warrant or probable cause to be examined. Thus, it would be somewhat safe to conclude that your trunk is less susceptible to a search.

Bullshit

Yesturday, undercover Sheriffs came over to my grandmothers house to tell the residents that an enformant was told about a crime that was to take place at the residents.Only my grandpa was home;an owner. They said a person was planning to rob the house of drugs. this was all taking place in the kitchen. They also would not let him leave. Then my aunt; not an owner comes home. They explain to her the story, but also tell her that theve noticed kids around the house and were in fear of their safety. Heres the fcuk up part. They con my aunt into signing a paper allowing them to search my bedroom, which I pay rent for. their explanation for searching was to assure the enformant taht their was nothing to steal. In my room the found an oz of shrooms and 1 1/2 of weed. I havent came home yet.

Whats going to happen? Have my rights been violated?

Last edited:
themagicbean said:
The CA/police sgt.s told me (in the citizen's police academy) that if you are free to go (NOT in a custodial interrogation), regardless of wheteher or not a "reasonable" person would feel that way, then all statements are fair game.

If you are "free to go"; shut the hell up and go.:\

Excellent work but I have one minor problem:

As this thread is solely about US law, could this be put into the title or first post? I know the majority who browse this forum are American but I can just imagine an Aussie or Briton etc. coming into this thread and taking it as gospel for their locale.

Please don't forget that this is an international message board, not just an American one.

^
fixed