• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Family seeks answers on West Miami man who dies in police custody

Bluelight Crew
Several hours after police restrained a raging George Salgado, the 21-year-old was dead.

On Monday, Salgado’s grieving family was seeking answers on what happened.

On Friday, officers from the Miami-Dade and West Miami police departments responded to a call in the 2300 block of Southwest 58th Avenue regarding a naked man who was acting bizarre[ly], said detective Javier Baez, Miami-Dade Police spokesman.

The person who made the call told police the man was trying to bite him in the neck and rip his clothes off.

When officers arrived, they found Salgado. He “became aggressive and violent towards the officers and they utilized their Electronic Control Device,” Baez said in a statement.

Paramedics transported Salgado to Larkin Community Hospital under the Baker Act statute

He died several hours later.

Miami-Dade police are investigating.

What police didn’t mention, his mother and the family’s lawyer say, is the condition they found him in at the hospital.

His wrists were scarred and bloody, his face was scraped, he was covered with bruises and had welts on his head, they said.

“It’s our firm belief that this young man, who weighed 160 pounds, was beaten severely in addition to having several Taser shots fired at him,” said Jeffrey Norkin, the family’s lawyer.

Details of what happened were still under investigation Monday and the autopsy was incomplete, said Miami-Dade police Maj. Nancy Perez.

“Nobody better than us wants to give them answers. We know what pain and anguish they have to be in,” Perez said. “But we owe it to them and they will appreciate it at the end when we are able to clarify and bring to light everything that occurred.”

Norkin said Salgado was under the influence of a “recreational drug” that caused him to break from reality, which may be why a Taser burst didn’t immediately affect him.

But Norkin also believes Salgado was unarmed.

“Unarmed individuals should not be Tased or beaten. They should be wrestled to the ground and handcuffed,” Norkin said.

Perez said the Taser was used because he was out of control.

“He was showing actions that were not of a normal human being,” Perez said, “and that’s why he was Baker Acted.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/16/2752859/family-seeks-answers-on-west-miami.html#storylink=cpy

“He was showing actions that were not of a normal human being,” Perez said, “and that’s why he was Baker Acted.”

Yeah the drugs must have mutated him into some freaky alien monster, or possibly a super-villain...

Fucking retarded, drugs don't give you superpowers, there's no reason they couldn't tackle the guy like anyone else.

He “became aggressive and violent towards the officers and they utilized their Electronic Control Device,” Baez said in a statement.

Seriously? Whatever makes you feel better I guess. Maybe they could call their guns Lead Projection Units too.

Seriously? Whatever makes you feel better I guess. Maybe they could call their guns Lead Projection Units too.[/QUOTE

Why should they call their electricity weapons by the name of the partial name of a corporation and a registered trademark?

Why should they call their electricity weapons by the name of the partial name of a corporation and a registered trademark?

If they're trying to generic-ize the name and avoid calling throwing discs Frisbees, why is each word capitalized, as though it was a proper noun?
I understand your point, but it is painfully obvious that those words were chosen as an attempt to use different language to "soften" the idea of less-lethal weapons.

They should call them stun guns, or if one feels the need to differentiate, projectile-based stun guns.

since we're on a semantic tangent, I have an issue with them using "electronic" instead of "electric". The difference is explained in this Yahoo! answers post:

What`s the difference between electric and electronic?

"Electric" uses only PASSIVE components, such as resistors, capacitors and inductors. They are called "Passive" because they do not "act" upon the current/voltage passing through.

"Electronic" is when a component is ACTIVE, or applies some transformation of the current.

A filter made of resistors, capacitors and inductors is electric.

The same filter, using at least a diode, a transistor and/or an op-amp is ACTIVE, and electronic.

(Usually, if there is a vacuum tube, a semi-conductor or some sort of amplifier, we talk of "electronics")

I believe "electronic" is not applicable to tasers.

thats really screwed up imo.

the electric bursts from a taser while on a psychedelic probably didnt make him calm down at all just the oppositte, and also could have damaged his body more while its already going through a rough time like that on a substance.

imo the piggys always got that mentality (or atleast in my area, very few cool cops) like "im gonna fuckin show this kid whats up" which leads to excessive unnecessary brutal behavior (dont get me wrong some people need to be handled with more force than others). That and i think there still scared of people using drugs its so foriegn to them they think we're a different type of species.

I would have only went that far if he had a weapon or a hostage or somthing of that sort.

I don't think its a big deal that they hit him with the taser, although it might be arguable whether it was necessary or not. I'm more concerned with the fact that they beat the fuck out of him afterwards badly enough that he died from it. Honestly, being shocked with a taser really isn't that bad if the operator isn't deliberately trying to hurt you (I'm sure there are cops that give much longer than the approved burst length). If I had a choice of being "subdued" by blows/restraint or being taken down with a taser, I'd take the taser anyday.

Norkin said Salgado was under the influence of a “recreational drug” that caused him to break from reality, which may be why a Taser burst didn’t immediately affect him.
is today's media much different from the 1930s, "cocainized negroes"?

Yeah the drugs must have mutated him into some freaky alien monster, or possibly a super-villain...

Fucking retarded, drugs don't give you superpowers, there's no reason they couldn't tackle the guy like anyone else.

Hahahaha. Same.

since we're on a semantic tangent, I have an issue with them using "electronic" instead of "electric". The difference is explained in this Yahoo! answers post:

I believe "electronic" is not applicable to tasers.

Actually, most, if not all of them rely on solid state components for the oscillation of the current from the D.C. source... in any event, oscillators/inverter are active components.

Actually, most, if not all of them rely on solid state components for the oscillation of the current from the D.C. source... in any event, oscillators/inverter are active components.

indeed. I thought they just delivered current from the battery to the body. Thanks.