• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Fainting on Shrooms Twice - Low Blood Pressure - (cigarettes involved?)

• Thread starter ShroomsFaintingGuy
  • Start date
S

ShroomsFaintingGuy

Hello everyone,

HISTORY
Over the past 2 months I have done mushrooms twice with my girlfriend and my friend. Both my girlfriend and I have been alright healthwise but my friend has fainted on both occasions. We have done shrooms together before (0.25g, 0.5g, 1g, 2g+molly) and he has never had any problem whatsoever. We have also used many other psychedelic drugs and considerer ourselves pretty experienced when it comes to trips. He did not used to smoke (only through bottle tokes to smoke hash but nothing compared to how many cigarettes he smokes now.

FIRST TIME FAINTING
Now the first time he fainted was on a 3.5g dose of dried mushrooms. His face became all white and he fell to the ground, starting sweating and his muscles were really tense. He was unable to communicate for a few seconds. Once on the ground he started to slowly get his senses back, but passed out a second time when standing up again. After this trip we chalked it up to a really difficult trip (3.5g was overwhelmingly strong compared to what we were used to) and thought maybe the anxiety had played a roll. There was also a suspicion that maybe cigarettes were involved because he passed out while smoking one.

SECOND TIME FAINTING
Music festival. Very loud. Crowded. We only took 1g this time to enjoy a relaxing high and listen to music. At some point he starts to exit the crowd so we follow him because he seems odd. A few steps later he stops moving and my girlfriend grabs hims as he collapses again. As we rush to get him out of the crowd with the help of some really nice people (someone with emergency medical training) he basically passes out 2-3 more times when we stand him up to move him. An off-duty nurse also took his pulse on the spot and said he was in bradycardia (lowered cardiac pulse). Once on the ground he regains consciousness slowly and is able to communicate but isn't aware that he passed out. Many cigarettes and cannabis has been smoked throughout the day. Low blood pressure seemed to be the issue and medical personnel and the nurse agreed on this and told us to sit by the fence, drink water and take it easy until he felt better.

SUMMARY (TL;DR)
Friend fainted twice (3.5g & 1g of shrooms respectively). Cigarettes had been smoked. Low blood pressure seems to be the issue.

Has anyone else experienced something like this personnaly or someone they know? What do you think could be the reason? Can cigarettes be doing this in combination with the mushrooms, because the other times we had tried shrooms (or any other psychedelic) there was no or very little nicotine/Tobacco involved. Could this be an issue with other psychedelic drugs/dissociatives in the future?

Best Regards,

Casey

Yes it is a known issue (fainting) with mushrooms and thought to be orthostatic hypotension related, so yes sudden low blood pressure..

Smoking cigarettes elevates your HR and blood pressure, but no idea if perhaps a person is more sensitive to the orthostatic hypotension when the nicotine wears off... also right before smoking your body already starts countering the expected effects - so you'd expect a little lowered BP right before smoking, and elevated during/after smoking.

Some people are probably a bit more sensitive to this whole thing to begin with but no, fucking with your blood pressure even more will not help. I doubt it is actually dangerous, but falling can of course be a hazard for injuries.

Last edited:
Cannabis can definitely contribute. I've fainted from cannabis personally but other people report hypotension with it as well - it's important to stand up really slow.

--ORIGINAL POSTER HERE-- (Sorry had forgotten my account info)

Yes it is a known issue (fainting) with mushrooms and thought to be orthostatic hypotension related, so yes sudden low blood pressure..

Smoking cigarettes elevates your HR and blood pressure, but no idea if perhaps a person is more sensitive to the orthostatic hypotension when the nicotine wears off... also right before smoking your body already starts countering the expected effects - so you'd expect a little lowered BP right before smoking, and elevated during/after smoking.

Some people are probably a bit more sensitive to this whole thing to begin with but no, fucking with your blood pressure even more will not help. I doubt it is actually dangerous, but falling can of course be a hazard for injuries.

Thank you for your input. Head injuries is definitely the most dangerous in this case I think.

Cannabis can definitely contribute. I've fainted from cannabis personally but other people report hypotension with it as well - it's important to stand up really slow.

From my experience, cannabis usually causes hypotension directly after smoking and especially when it's the first time of the day. Our body then readjusts our blood pressure within 20-30 mins and it's not too noticeable unless you're required to dish out some physical effort. But in both cases, we had smoked cannabis earlier and my friend had not been smoking in the last 30 mins to 1 hour prior to collapsing. For this reason I'm sceptic about the MJ being the main cause, but it could obviously help play in a role by lowering the blood pressure a bit. Thank you for your comment.