• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Extraction of pure diazepam from 10 mg tabs (Hate binders and fillers)

Retired Trashcan

Bluelighter
I am hoping this is in the right forum. I want to extract the pure diazepam from the blue 10 mg generic tabs. I'd rather take the pure substance without all the garbage mixed in with it. And yes, I'll admit that I like to do a little insuffalation from time to time, and don't want want all the extra junk in there. :\ I understand diazepam is soluble in propylene glycol (Miralax is PG, but is it the right kind?) and, once the tabs are in the PG solution, where do I go from the? I've done CWE and iso-alcohol extractions, but never anything using propylene glycol. Any answers/suggestios? Many thanks from a nosy amateur chemist. =D

Due to high BP (~188 C degrees) propylene glycol is rather useless for extraction unless you can evaporate it under reduced pressure but even then it's not the best solvent to use anyway as you'll need very low pressure. The choice of solvent(s) actually depends what else you've got in the pills and how pure you want your diazepam to be.

is insufflating Benzodiazepines in any way advantageous to oral consumption? I was under the impression that oral admin. is always the best route because bioavailability is really high and parenteral doesn't hit that much harder.

Aren't the fillers added for a reason? E.g you don't get the fulll 10mg at once and up sparko.

Aren't the fillers added for a reason? E.g you don't get the fulll 10mg at once and up sparko.

They are just their to provide substantive bulk so the mixture can be pressed. Acetone or any anhydrous alcohol will absolutely do the trick for extracting. Slightly aqueous alcohol should work well also, but you would have to take care of the water when you remove the solvent. Honestly I think acetone is your best option.