• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Extraction of Opium from Poppies

I would bet money that morphine meconate decomposes before it melts.
The structure of meconic acid does not scream "stability", in fact I bet it would oxidise and decarboxylate itself if you raised your voice around it, or happened to breathe nearby.

Well apparently if opium is smoked properly, the resulting ash 'yen pox' can be eaten. Often opium smokers out of money would resort to this an eating yen pox in certain cultures was supposed to give a lady a more languid expression.

That's why morphine extraction is so elegant. It gets almost all of the morphine out of the opium without much else being carried over. Papaverine cannot become calcium papaverate, for example.

Well apparently if opium is smoked properly, the resulting ash 'yen pox' can be eaten. Often opium smokers out of money would resort to this an eating yen pox in certain cultures was supposed to give a lady a more languid expression.

That's why morphine extraction is so elegant. It gets almost all of the morphine out of the opium without much else being carried over. Papaverine cannot become calcium papaverate, for example.

I read this in a Burroughs book ~15 years ago and I've been feeling sorry for junkies that have to do that since then. Poor bastards

Even if i had capsules, and even if i was well, I'd yack that right back up. How could a man ever eat ash, not in terms of desperation, but literally, how? Even the cinnamon challenge is impossible, and that stuff tastes/smells good

@TheUltimateFixx is your man for this. He apparently manages to produce smokable opium from poppies grown in the UK with decent results.

Let's hope he's willing to share his secrets 😀

Unfortunately opium ash has no useful alkaloids left.
Might help heartburn or become a fancy mineral supplement though.

The recipe you'll most likely find on the Internet is by one Peter Lees, which is by far the most widely disseminated. Now that calls for a whole kilo of opium which you're hardly gonna get from home production, but the method can absolutely be adapted for smaller quantities as the basic principle remains the same.

Here's my quick & dirty method which I've arrived at after some experimenting:

- cover your opium latex with hand-warm water. You want a ratio of 4 - 5 x volume of water to amount of opium.

- let stand for some 20 mins.

- bring to a boil in a copper pan (this distributes the heat most quickly and evenly). I use one of those mini chef's copper pans which you can readily buy online.

- cook, stirring with chopsticks or a small whisk, until the latex has dissolved, then filter through fine gauze or coffee filter.

- repeat 3 x with the remaining residue.

- combine liquids. Bring to the boil again stirring constantly until syrupy, then continue to simmer over a low heat until semi-solid (should have a fudge-like consistency at this point).

- when cooled, shape into 'pills' , wrap individually in greaseproof paper and store in air-tight container.

PS the more elaborate way calls for repeat filtering and decanting and resting the mixture for up to a day in between stages. That gives a superior end product, but all the extra faff involved really isn't worth it for non-commercial quantities.

The recipe you'll most likely find on the Internet is by one Peter Lees, which is by far the most widely disseminated. Now that calls for a whole kilo of opium which you're hardly gonna get from home production, but the method can absolutely be adapted for smaller quantities as the basic principle remains the same.

Here's my quick & dirty method which I've arrived at after some experimenting:

- cover your opium latex with hand-warm water. You want a ratio of 4 - 5 x volume of water to amount of opium.

- let stand for some 20 mins.

- bring to a boil in a copper pan (this distributes the heat most quickly and evenly). I use one of those mini chef's copper pans which you can readily buy online.

- cook, stirring with chopsticks or a small whisk, until the latex has dissolved, then filter through fine gauze or coffee filter.

- repeat 3 x with the remaining residue.

- combine liquids. Bring to the boil again stirring constantly until syrupy, then continue to simmer over a low heat until semi-solid (should have a fudge-like consistency at this point).

- when cooled, shape into 'pills' , wrap individually in greaseproof paper and store in air-tight container.

PS the more elaborate way calls for repeat filtering and decanting and resting the mixture for up to a day in between stages. That gives a superior end product, but all the extra faff involved really isn't worth it for non-commercial quantities.

Top man! Thanks mate.

Unfortunately opium ash has no useful alkaloids left.
Might help heartburn or become a fancy mineral supplement though.

It was common practice in Iran. It was also use in Chinese culture under the name 'Yen Shee' / 'Yenshee' and is mentioned in many articles concerning the culture around the use of opium ash. Before I read about it in any WSB work, an Iranian friend mentioned it.

Strictly speaking, there's no reason to let the crude latex sit in warm water for any amount of time if you are just going to boil it. I'd just add it to (preferably distilled, demineralized, or filtered) water of whatever temperature is at hand, and immediately start heating it to gradually bring it to a gentle boil.

Also copper or steel pans would be fine, but the Swiss chemist in me suggests ideally something enameled or even glass would be best to avoid trace metal contamination. (Probably not a significant issue however, as I would expect only trace Cu+/2+ leaching from a copper pot (depending also on pH, concentration, time, etc), but it would be detectable if you were looking for it. I'm talking parts per million, rarely parts per thousand - not a concern toxicologically.)

It was common practice in Iran. It was also use in Chinese culture
I'm sure it was by no means the most objectionable practice of either reason.
Certainly seems symbolic in some way.
Someone ought to use the calcium oxide present in opium ash to extract morphine from opium. Just for the symbolic significance of such an act. The waste product is used to make more desired product, which will become waste again...

Last edited:
I found it dissolves more readily when already infused, so that's for convenience. And *something* chemical seems to happen with longer periods which I don't understand, as I've also tried the very drawn-out process where you let it stand for hours or even a couple days at a time;
I got a better smoke out of the finished end product when the solution was left to steep.

Hello!
I'm new here.
While checking this lovely platform, and this discussion as a part thereof, I stumbled upon some opium-related remarks which can benefit from rectification or clarification. So, as someone who has grown up where opium was, and is, really accessible, ridiculously cheap and quite potent, there are a couple of things I would like to share.

N.B. Some of the following statements are anecdotally stated and might be neither phytochemically nor neuropharmacologically recorded/backed-up - at least in English. That is mostly due to contradictory dichotomy of governmental and academic attitude towards issues of this nature.

1. Obviously, you should stop watering the plant for a certain period before lancing; additionally, you must avoid over-irrigation. Otherwise, the latex that comes out might be deceitfully abundant.

2. There is a preferred time for doing the lancing; some do it from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., although there are varieties due to climate, soil and the farmers strategy for how many times to lance the pod for best yield.

2.1. There are different methods for collecting the opium latex. Some collect it right after it slightly hardens and before it starts getting dark. But, there are also instances where the latex is left on the pod and collected before the next day's sun-up.

3. There is a preferred method for lancing, using a knife with three, extremely sharp parallel blades. Moreover, cutting too deep may result in undesirable secretions among other things.

4. The yield is not usually calculated per pod. Moreover, it is done after the initial drying. Workers who professionally do the lancing - due to whose strong arms and affinity for substance abuse they can be referred to as Lance Armstrong! - usually don't even dream of anything close to a 10-gram-per-pod yield as was mentioned in this thread.

4.1. There ARE pods as big as tennis balls. But, that MIGHT mean nothing as far as the eventual potency is concerned.

5. There are varieties in the percentage of the active and inactive ingredients. There are plants in Central Iran which - without any direct genetic modification and only due to proper breeding, climate, etc. - have a relatively lighter color and a dark caramel-like hue even long after being fully dried. Those are considerably more potent and more scarce and at times contain a far greater concentration of morphine and codeine.

6. Regarding consumption, there are certain local mixtures where a percentage of non-, or less, effective plant parts are processed (in glass jars by old women) and combined with the opium latex to cuase extra synergy.

6.1. Using the Sookhteh (Sooqteh/ Soktah), which literally means "burnt", is great, both by itself and as a complementary measure. Sookhteh is formed some of the smoke passes through, and sticks to, the ceramic part of the opium pipe, creating a rather precious sediment which is then scraped.

6.2. The easiest and the most ubiquitous method of purification is using hot water. You dissolve the opium latex in hot water, making a solution that must be too thin. After a while, you pass it through a cloth. Then bring the filtered solution back to a very low simmer and let it reduce until there's a thick substance left. At this point, you can either pour it on a rather cold and proper surface to get solid and then cut it into peices; or you can mix it with some alcohol (which what we used was 70% raisin alcohol) and consume for non-smoking purposes.

6.2.1. But, there are subtleties to this seemingly simple method, to such an extent that I remember the only person who was trusted to do it was my grandpa. I genuinely don't know if that was due to his age, his experience or his medical and pharmacological background.

7. There are certain, although nowadays rare, instances where an overly long opium pipe - called Negārī - is used. You must always be sitting or lying down when using Negārī as it hits way too hard. The word Negārī comes from Negār which in this context means a beautiful woman. Usually Negār holds the Negārī while one smokes it. Using Negārī or other forms thereof - such as Vāfoor/Bāfoor/Vāpoor - in combination with a freshly brewed tea made with saffaron, black tea leaves, a tiny amount of Echium Amoenum petals, and rosewater - and sweetened with honey or saffron rock candy - might be one of the most euphoric experiences in this category.

7.1. I do know that there have been many of such tools in opium dens across the world; but, in Iran and its surrounding areas, such practices date back to Ancient Persia and thus have different cultural and sociolinguistic profile ever since the advent and advancement of words like Afioon (Opium), Teryāq (Antidote/Opium), and Nārcock (which some etymologists believe to be the root for [narkē] or [nerq-] which are per se the proposed roots for Narcotic).

All in all, as Rumi puts it,
"The wine glass is drunken by us, not us by it."