• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Extracting Kava

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
I just don't stand the taste of kava anymore but I like the effect. Is there a method to extract the good alkaloids and boil it down enough for putting into pills?

Much appreciated

its already widely available in such form. its everywhere online and i see it in a lot of stores too. im just not too eager to take it because of alcohol use. ive had it before with positive results ONLY AT HIGH DOSE. which is not useful to me long term

Yeah but I have a cheap source for kava root, a big package of it here and don't want to buy again but made extract myself. That was my question.
When it's readily available to but this means the extraction can't be that hard. I read they sell either CO2 or alcohol based extracts. Guess for layman's home kitchen CO2 isn't possible but alcohol based sounds good.

Last edited:
Nobody a clue?

Just nearly vomited off the taste but the effects help me through brain fog.

Nobody a clue?

Just nearly vomited off the taste but the effects help me through brain fog.
Hi there. You have a similar problem as myself.

Make my kava taste like chocolate mills or just plain water...

Now I can barely finish a sentence. Or cnstruct and express thoughts to even reply to a pm atm, I try but the head isn't there. Flu, benzo overdose, and a lot of LSD.

I think it's fatigue, so much of it it's so hard to move elbow and wrist to type and unable to connect body with thoughts.

Just saying so anybody out there might understand.

So can I add a sensical sentence now. Unlikely.

I struggle to varying degree with the imbibement of certain kavas.

Vanuatan is my least preferred. Very peppery.

Fijian is the easist, most palatable probably.

An order of Fijian came yesterday, I will be using it daily for a while.

So if I only had one or two kavas here, depending which ones, because there are some in the house I could never make work.

And others I can.

So just keep in mind, I don't know which culture you have now, am curious though.

Extracts I know nothing of.

I can't tolerate alcohol, and I would feel a bit unsure about taking any pure alcohol alongside kava, I don't know if that would be toxic enough to have any effect.

Most extracts on the market are dud too. A lot were tested, all were virtually devoid of Kavalactones except Kavadepot's one at about 32%.

I need some kava, and cannabis but am unable to leave bed for fatigue.

I would treat myself to both but all allergies need managing first fir about 2 hours hard work and it's hard work to be awake.

So just building enough energy to approach that. The other side will prohibit me calming my mind with those drugs.

I haven't put me glasses on and I can still see eyes everywhere as I try to type.

So I'm still tripping quite a lot. It's like everything is alive.

On kava taste and the issue of simply getting to that place, Cannabis vaporuzation helps a lot.

It mutes the,taste, clears my pallate between shells, I often go from one to the other and back very felxibly.

I make it work. I really am wasted this week but flu is a bitch.

I couldn't tell I had flu from 6 pm Saturday to 10 pm last night, I was consciously immune to the elements.

I had no way of telling if I still had flu, and I'm pigsick with it but couldn't even sense it for 52 hours.

4.65 weeks to ride out. It's going to be a grind and yes, eyes everywhere.

Hallucinating very actively.

No allergies no real problem.

I'd keep myself calm and motivated with those two, which are the incentives to reach.
Sorry I can't offer anything.

The kavalactones don’t see to do well with drying, that I know.. They seem possibly volatile. Your best bet is to make a tincture, concentrate it then drop it on the tongue as needed.

-GC

Weirdly I bought an extract with 20% kavalactones some years ago, was a yellow powder which tasted bitter and of course pepper-ish when dipped. Never came to really try it though as I had a raid where everything powdery got seized.

Do you know whether the lactones get destroyed at 100°. Celsius (when cooking the tincture to concentrate it)?

Weirdly I bought an extract with 20% kavalactones some years ago, was a yellow powder which tasted bitter and of course pepper-ish when dipped. Never came to really try it though as I had a raid where everything powdery got seized.

Do you know whether the lactones get destroyed at 100°. Celsius (when cooking the tincture to concentrate it)?

I’m not sure, and honestly I could be wrong on the volatility point too. I’ve had dry tea bags with kavalactones before that numbed my mouth but I remember being distinctly disappointed with those. Kava tincture was the best product I’ve found but I’ve yet to try actual quality root which I hope to soon. Had dry candy like “pills” shaped like nickel sized wafers about half inch thick, those worked but quite a bit pill matrix and each pill individually wrapped so they could’ve remained in easier.

I just say what I did cuz one time I tried making psychoactive chocolate which included kava tincture. The chocolate came out inactive, maybe there was interaction between the kavalactones and chocolate? Who knows but I then tried to dry some tincture out to smoke it and also found zero effects, was it volatility or ROA? Again idk. Figured I’d tell ya this so you know my rough experience with Kava experiments.

-GC

Isopropyl alcohol? Acetone? These are common solvents.
Just hoped somebody had already figured out a good tek.. Guess I'll have to try.

@G_Chem So tried n active tincture turned inactive when mixed with chocolate? Guess you ruled that out already but maybe the lactones are very sensitive to heat? Yet then it'd be difficult to make tincture I guess. Weird.

Just hoped somebody had already figured out a good tek.. Guess I'll have to try.

@G_Chem So tried n active tincture turned inactive when mixed with chocolate? Guess you ruled that out already but maybe the lactones are very sensitive to heat? Yet then it'd be difficult to make tincture I guess. Weird.

I thought over the heat too but it never got more hot than one could reasonably touch for a second or two. Pretty much the lowest heat possible to melt chocolate, then tincture mixed in and re-solidified.

-GC