• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Extent of withdrawal severity as a function of years on opioids

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
It’s known that the longer you’re on opioids the harder the withdrawal.

For a person on a sustained same dose for many years, is there a point where the withdrawal severity sort of plateaus in the sense where someone on methadone for 5 years will experience the same severity of withdrawal as someone on methadone for 15 years? Or does it (the withdrawal) just keep getting worse and worse with the years you remain on opioids even when we’re are talking 5 to 20 years on them.

I guess to answer this question you need experience kicking at 1 year, 5 yr, 7 yr etc; on the same dose…and compare the withdrawals

Hope this question makes sense to you and eager to hear ppls thoughs

Last edited:
Methadone 80mg for 10-15 years will be a Looooong and drawn out slow taper to minimize withdrawal symptoms

Short acting opioids are a walk in the park in comparison

I was on high doses of Oxy-IR / OxyContin, then Dilaudid & Hydromorph-Contin, supplemented with i.v. Heroin. Went cold turkey on my own choice and was perfectly fine in 2 weeks

Day 1-3 were extremely uncomfortable
Day 3-7 were HORRID (completely non functional, no work, sick leave, etc) * Clonidine, Pregabalin, Diazepam
Day 7-10 were slight improvement and symptoms mildly improving
Day 10-14 were noticeably much better, physical symptoms nearly gone

Mental withdrawal symptoms are still apparent and you’re still having daily thoughts of scoring some potent opioid to bang that sh!t and relax.

Must slowly wean/reduce daily dose of Clonidine 0.1mg scored tablets to prevent rebound hypertension (which could cause you to faint if getting up too quickly)

Low dose Diazepam 2 & 5mg scored tablets essential during the worst part of withdrawal in morning and especially before bedtime combined with half tablet of Clonidine and 150mg of Pregabalin

10+ years of daily hi-dose Methadone is an entirely different beast

Methadone 80mg for 10-15 years will be a Looooong and drawn out slow taper to minimize withdrawal symptoms

Short acting opioids are a walk in the park in comparison

I was on high doses of Oxy-IR / OxyContin, then Dilaudid & Hydromorph-Contin, supplemented with i.v. Heroin. Went cold turkey on my own choice and was perfectly fine in 2 weeks

Day 1-3 were extremely uncomfortable
Day 3-7 were HORRID (completely non functional, no work, sick leave, etc) * Clonidine, Pregabalin, Diazepam
Day 7-10 were slight improvement and symptoms mildly improving
Day 10-14 were noticeably much better, physical symptoms nearly gone

Mental withdrawal symptoms are still apparent and you’re still having daily thoughts of scoring some potent opioid to bang that sh!t and relax.

Must slowly wean/reduce daily dose of Clonidine 0.1mg scored tablets to prevent rebound hypertension (which could cause you to faint if getting up too quickly)

Low dose Diazepam 2 & 5mg scored tablets essential during the worst part of withdrawal in morning and especially before bedtime combined with half tablet of Clonidine and 150mg of Pregabalin

10+ years of daily hi-dose Methadone is an entirely different beast
I use methadone but only 5 to 15 mg per day.

I kicked it once after 2 years and it was no worse than kicking subs or fentanyl etc.

The worst withdrawals I ever had were coming off of 2 weeks of ~12-18mg/day IV hydromorphone. Third time after a surgery. It was absolute hell for about 72hr. Non stop diarrhea, the most burning mental pain you will ever feel, and extreme cold sweats. Mentally, shot for about a week more. Much later, taking 6+ blue 30s a day for months was not nearly as severe despite being a much higher dose and the acute phase was done after about 36hr, but resulted in a longer period of depression.