• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

extended release oxycodone or oxycottin

db111

Greenlighter
Hi i was prescribed 60mg oxycottin twice a day and 5 perc 10mg. anyways after so many years of the oxycottin the pill wasnt lasting as long as before. I told my doc about it and he moved me to 5 30mg oxycodone. my question is does the oxycottin release 60mg over 12hrs or does it release a steady flow of 60mg? any explanations on this? somebody else wrote that half is let lose at first then the other half over the next 11hrs. is this how it works? plese elaborate?

d

Check this thread. http:// http://www.bluelight.org/vb...the-time-release-system-work-with-Oxycontin-s

Oxycodone controlled release Tablets exhibit a biphasic absorption pattern with two apparent absorption half-lives of 0.6 and 6.9 hours, which describes the initial release of oxycodone from the tablet followed by a prolonged release. Peak plasma levels for ir, occur after 1 hour, opposed to 3 hours for er.

- hs
the thread is dead, just blank. the abbreviation er stands for extended release? so the first release is 0.6 meaning .6 of the first hour? and 6.9 meaning 6.9hrs into the taking of the pill? also when you say peak plasma levels for ir immeadiate release/ occur after one hour, does this mean that the pill peaks after one hour so if you have a 30mg ir that last for 4hrs a majority releases say 60% in one hour then the rest releases over the next 3hrs the other 40% the half life. so 15mg releases fast then the other 15 mg releases over the next 3hrs. so what about the extended release 60mg? 30mg would release in an hour and the other 30mg would release over the next 11hrs? they seem kind of the same except the extended release takes 11hrs to release the half (30mg). I need to research this more bc it does not make a lot of sense to me.

I dont think its 50/50 immediate release/extended release with Oxycontin but forget the exact number. But basically it peaks quickly but rather than dropping off quickly like IR oxy, extended release mechanism slowly releases drug to maintain higher levels longer.

Heres a pic to visualize.

CI3h2b3.jpg

^There, a nice graph for you! As you can see, about half of it (5mg) is absorbed quickly, then the other 5mg is slowly released over the next few hours.

No, point .6 and 6.9 hours are the half lives, not release points.

- SS373dOH.

My dad uses oxycontin 10mg every 4-6 hours along with 150mcg fentynol patches every 72 hours for back pain which seem to help him out. The problem with all opiates is you do build tolerance to just about any dosage.
He's 87 and was never a drug user until just a few years ago and it's taken him a good long while to figure out what the withdraw feeling is vs just feeling like crap. For the longest time he resisted taking them even minutes before his next due time and fwlt horrible. I've finally got him to realize that he has to take his pain medication on time to avoid withdraw.