'Explosion' of heroin traffic leads to more drugs seized by Juneau police

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
'Explosion' of heroin traffic leads to more drugs seized by Juneau police
Chris Klint,
Feb 06, 2015

ANCHORAGE -
vid-Drugs SeizedDrug seizures by Juneau police rose 700 percent for heroin and 500 percent for methamphetamine during 2014, with $5.8 million in drugs seized by officers over the course of the year.

Heroin and meth seizures topped $4.65 million and $635,446 respectively based on local street value, according to a Juneau Police Department statement on the previous year’s drug cases. Seizures of the prescription drugs Oxycontin, oxycodone, hydrocodone, and Vicodin were down 75 percent over the same period, totaling $14,240 for the year.

The overall numbers are a sharp jump from similar statistics for 2013, when just under $1.16 million in total drugs were seized. That year, heroin accounted for about $800,000 of the total with meth making up just $83,200.

Juneau police spokeswoman Lt. Kris Sell said Friday that much -- but not all -- of the rise in drug traffic is due to transshipment of drugs, rather than local drug usage.

“According to our drug officers, it would appear to be an explosion of heroin,” Sell said. “We’ve had cases where we’re collecting larger amounts of drugs, including airport seizures in the half-pound range.”

Sell said that heroin’s low Juneau street price of $100 for a typical “point,” or a tenth of a gram, was likely responsible for last year’s remarkable drop in prescription-drug seizures.

“Heroin’s cheaper -- a lot cheaper -- than prescription drugs in Juneau,” Sell said. “People use what they have.”

According to Sell, thieves hoping to acquire a kilogram of heroin were behind one of the capital’s higher-profile drug cases, which began as a $41,000 jewelry burglary on Sept. 17 at the local Costco warehouse store. Joseph John Finn, 31, was arrested the following month on charges of first-degree theft and second-degree burglary in the case.

Finn and Daricka Clark, 29, were charged with second-degree misconduct involving controlled substances based on drugs they had with them at the time of Finn’s arrest, according to police.

Sell said the scheme was derailed by inside information Juneau police discovered in the case, with officers recovering about $32,000 of the stolen jewelry.

continued here http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/explo...o-more-drugs-seized-by-juneau-police/31136104

.........................................................................................................................

Those are some really significant increases.

wait soooo $100 for a tenth is a low price?? wtf... they talkin about 1/10th like one ten dollar bag everywhere else? i know they usaully fuk with BTH up there but still... and pills are more expensive and they only took 14k off the streets? even at $/mg thats more or less 460 30's which isnt really shit and i dont understand how pills can be more expensive if dope costs that much... i just dont understand how these numbers even begin to add up...

wait soooo $100 for a tenth is a low price?? wtf... they talkin about 1/10th like one ten dollar bag everywhere else? i know they usaully fuk with BTH up there but still... and pills are more expensive and they only took 14k off the streets? even at $/mg thats more or less 460 30's which isnt really shit and i dont understand how pills can be more expensive if dope costs that much... i just dont understand how these numbers even begin to add up...
It is hard to get drugs there, and is rather isolated. Coupled with high incomes from Oil workers and you have people taking the high risk of getting drugs there and then making lots of money.

If you want to drive there with lots of drugs, you have to cross the US/Canada Border twice.

yea i know all that, i have family there but still they said 100 dollars is a low street price and i still dont get how the rest of the numbers add up

Yeah i mean
An addict with not even a bad habit by east coast standards would be doing $300 shots that would be equivalent to $30-50 on the mainland in east coast bags..

Heroin makes you feel warmer so it makes sense that they would use it in Alaska

The meth/heroin combo is so popular up here it's unbelievable. I don't even know any junkies who don't do both.

I can't really comment on prices up here too much except to say that it's 50 dollars a point for heroin I believe...which I guess is expensive? I live in a fairly urban area of Alaska, though, bigger and more connected than Juneau. Tar is all you're gonna find. Prices for meth are expensive but probably comparable to the lower 48.

All of that stuff is a rip off though...you're better off sticking with the high-grade Alaskan chronic, LOL

it's 50 dollars a point for heroin

yea i never stopped to think that these were cops givin out these numbers... while they been less absurd about puttin out crazy numbers i guess it still happens from time to time... but still if shit was that expensive i dont see how itd even be possible to get addicted or why the cartels wouldnt just set up shop and sell shit for 25 a point and make a killing.... but newayssss glad i dont live there

but still if shit was that expensive i dont see how itd even be possible to get addicted

People resort to crime to pay for their habits, and people get dope sick a lot.

And a lot of recreational users just make tons of money in well-paying jobs, splurge on lots of drugs, then when they're broke they just go back to work again. Happens a lot in the fishing industry in particular.

“Heroin’s cheaper -- a lot cheaper -- than prescription drugs in Juneau,” Sell said. “People use what they have.”

People will indeed always use mind altering substances - legal or illegal. That includes a small percentage of individuals working in law enforcement.

Sadly, it also seems that some people will never wake the fuck up and realize that they are wasting precious resources - such as tax payer money - in order to try and stop that from happening. Bloody idiots.

That's gotta be some kind of mistake...I know Alaska is expensive and all but 100 a point is nuts...that's like a 20vial of raw here that's prob 4x stronger...heroin explosion sounds cool tho haha

bags in the COUNTY go for less than that dude.
like in east coast powder, in the county, you wont pay close to that
cray

People resort to crime to pay for their habits, and people get dope sick a lot.

And a lot of recreational users just make tons of money in well-paying jobs, splurge on lots of drugs, then when they're broke they just go back to work again. Happens a lot in the fishing industry in particular.

dude i was obviouslly being sarcastic....

but still you would have to resort to a fuck ton of crime to support a habit that expensive... and i live in WVA there are plenty of out of state and canadian natural gas workers down here and am very aware of the amounts they will pay for a buzz...

Well I don't know, I personally know heroin addicts here who somehow manage to support a habit so I guess it just isn't that unbelievable to me *shrug*

^^
first... 600 for "low" grade dope... that is fuking gay... i use to bitch about payin 250 for a g of fire (which i still think is pretty absurd) but still...

also... if its 100 a point thatd be roughly 1000 a g which would be damn near a million a key... jesus christ thats insane... and even if they are exzaggerating the price and its anything over 60 a 1/10 then itd be more expensive then in aus... still just crazy IMO

They make way more money in australia though
like minimum wage is i think double the US minimum wage.
everything costs more in australia as far as i know, as far as not drugs

Every thing costs a bit more here its true and the median pay packet is quite a bit more than the US. This doesn't make up for the fact that drugs cost 5 times more.
The people informing that report are mostly users and frontline harm reduction workers. They are not exaggerating. Shit is pricey. Its cheaper in Melbourne and Sydney but for everyone outside of those main hubs things are grim.