• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

explanation for my friends "bad trips"

Cdilly93

Bluelighter
so my buddy who i rave with overall has a good time, but he will go through stages through the night, one second be super happy, dancing, and vibing to the music, but then hell get "bad vibes" and feels guilty and feels like his life is going downhill and just gets really in his head, but then be all happy again..he thinks its when "angry" type of music comes on, like the crazy dubstep and stuff, and then he vibes really well to the uplifting music.. anyone have problems like this?? because i personally have good vibes no matter what (we take the same stuff btw)

Go to an event with happy music ? If 'he' goes up and down through the music then its up to him to work it out. What can 'you' do - nothing, just dance and have a blast and hopefully he will come around and see that everyone else is having fun then 'he' can either - join in or leave!

Yeah I have these sort of sensitivities to music.

I couldn't be around DnB no matter how hard I was rolling for awhile and I still can't handle happy hardcore under any circumstances.

Drugs are different for everyone. I tend to be somewhat of an empath when I'm sober and that gets kicked to the next level when I'm rolling. It becomes much harder to handle and leaves me extremely vulnerable. That's one of the reasons I will no longer roll outside of an intimate setting (although there are plenty of others).

The only music environments I can do psychedelics in are festivals that have many stages and wide open spaces, so I have options. Going to a rave with one stage when you are sensitive to changes in music is a recipe for a bad trip IME, unless of course you mix it with MDMA or something uppity. (Not that I recommend this.)

Psychs really open up the subconscious, so don't expect them to always be a feel-good party favour. When your consciousness is so wide open you're going to experience whatever's in there that's unresolved. If your friend suddenly feels down about life then maybe the psych is bringing up something that he's been avoiding.

Not to mention, your physical condition matters when tripping. If I'm tired and then dose with a psychedelic, or if I haven't eaten properly that day, then I'm far more likely to have a bad trip, or at least a fluctuating trip.

Having good trips always involves knowing what your needs are, and what the right conditions are for you personally. It's different for everyone. I have a friend who trips balls and goes clubbing downtown... I just couldn't do that.

What substance are we talking about? Might be able to assist more

It's just an example of how important set and setting are. Sometimes you just need a change of scenery.

I have a LOT of experience with taking both MDMA and LSD (and other psychedelics) in therapy, at raves, out in nature, etc. I've had many great spiritual insights. I tripped with Timothy Leary---wow--so many great memories!

In "The Psychedelic Experience", Leary, Alpert, and Metzner write that there basically are no "bad trips". What I mean by that is that IF negative emotions should come up during a trip, it's because of some unresolved issue that is emerging under the influence and this issue really needs to be worked though. Work through the issue, and your friend can go right back to having a "happy" trip.

It can sometimes be more difficult to work through negative emotions in public, but sometimes not. I've done lots of tripping in public, at rock concerts, etc. I always make sure to do it with a very good friend, though. That way, if I should momentarily experience a negative emotion, my friend is there to soothe me and I'm not all alone. I'm a pretty happy tripper, though. My friend told me he'd get paranoid tripping out in public the way I do, but I never get paranoid---just happy. I do like to combine MDMA and LSD, but that's just me.

Just about the only time that I had a very negative reaction to psychedelics out in public was when I was at a party on LSD. I was doing GREAT on the LSD, feeling so HAPPY. Then a friend of mine who is a pothead insisted on passing the pot pipe around. I take full responsibility for my own actions---I should have said "NO" to marijuana. For whatever reason, pot is one of the few drugs that I never seem to have a positive reaction to. As soon as I smoked the pot, I went from feeling total BLISS to feeling like I was having a panic attack and couldn't breathe! I also felt very paranoid, because pot often makes me feel paranoid. Another friend had to take me outside, away from the people at the party. We sat out on the steps while I came down from the pot. Once I was back to being just on LSD, I was a happy tripper once again.

Any negative patches in an MDMA or LSD trip can often be worked through with the support of friends. Some people learn the most from the negative patches. I'm usually a positive tripper, but I think that some really weird music might affect me negatively, too. I'd probably be feeling like I had to get away from that kind of music. If there's an outside balcony or something, I'd go out there. I agree that a change of scenery can do wonders. I believe this is the reason why most raves have "chill out" rooms with soothing music, at least most of the raves that I've been to. Chill out rooms are an excellent idea to help get a tripper back on the happy path to bliss.

I think I should clarify: Psychedelic drugs like LSD and MDMA never make me feel paranoid.

Marijauna, however, is the one drug that DOES make me feel paranoid. Therefore, I just don't smoke pot. I don't like the way it makes me feel.

I think I should clarify: Psychedelic drugs like LSD and MDMA never make me feel paranoid.

Marijauna, however, is the one drug that DOES make me feel paranoid. Therefore, I just don't smoke pot. I don't like the way it makes me feel.

Posts like this make me more enticed to try LSD. I'm like yourself and experience awful anxiety and paranoia from weed, it's just not recreational. MDMA feels like a walk in the park compared to weed.

LSD makes me much more anxious than most psychedelics as its speedy and edgy. Its also really easy for something to happen and push an amazing experience into a trip from hell, far easier than any other psychedelic I've ever used, so set and setting is vital including shutting off your phone. MDMA dissolves all anxiety once I'm peaking.

Could be the music. Some people are more sensitive to the music. Or the atmosphere, feeling claustrophobic, etc. You really have to go with the flow and relax. Some people have a hard time letting go and get paranoid/pessimistic.

If he's feeling like that, just remind him to relax, change atmosphere (outside, another spot, etc), and that he took a drug (same thing you did) and everything's going to be ok.

I usually get like that if something in my life is wrong and needs fixing. MDMA is incredibly mind-expanding and perhaps your friend is coming to realizations there is room for improvement in his life.

Drugs can cause drastic emotional mood swings, it happens to me at festivals on usually the 3rd night.
With that being said it can easily happen off of the first dose. MDMA, while usually very uplifting and euphoric, can also cause severe negative thought patterns.
Poor guy not being able to enjoy dubstep without having an emotional reaction, that shit makes me happier than christmas :D