• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Edibles Expired Edibles?

Jerry Atrick

Bluelight Crew
So I was digging around and found a package of what appears to be a cookies and cream flavored marshmallow rice krispie treat edible. The expiration date is 7/2022. Will this kill me if I eat a piece?

I'm not so much worried about the THC expiring but it does have some dairy in it, like butter/cream. Here is a pic of the front and back with ingredients. Any help?

dVfUFc.jpg

dVfby1.jpg

been a bit long aint it does it say Expiry Date, Use by or Best Before date?
Yes. It has one date that just says Product: 7/6/2021 then another that says Exp Date: 7/6/2022.

I'mma guess it's like what Snafu said and processed enough to be edible for years. After all, the expiry date was one year from production. What's another 6 months going to hurt?

I highly doubt it is FDA approved lol but probably has an expiry date for liability purposes and not for any practical reasons.

Thanks for the input everyone. Wish me luck!

Yeah dairy goes rancid when it expires and has a very specific odour but more importantly taste. Just try a little and really use the front of your tongue to taste it. Obviously as long as they don't smell or look too dodgy. A little white substance appearing is normal and doesn't mean it's rancid.

Most chocolate would be fine for a few years or even decades after expiry. Depending how processed and how well packaged. There's people on YouTube eating very old chocolate! From ww2.

Ingredients are like in cookies that would normally have use best before date and THC doesn't degrade to anything toxic so they'll be fine to eat for quite a while. If package is sealed, I wouldn't worry. Bon apetit

@Jerry Atrick There are edibles on sale in Canada that were over a year old. Gummies containing sugar. Back in Winnipeg, one store had a section called ‘Good Buys’ where the only stuff for sale were products that were either very old by virtue of when they were packaged. There is some debate about adding expiry dates to packages (but this is only under review as part of a mandated review on the Cannabis laws).

If you live in an area that has strict food laws you’re probably quite ok. Is it a sealed from air package?

You might even be able to ask if the company has ever been issued a safe food handling certificate.

I mean, I’d eat them.

Tom

That's just a best by date. It'll taste dry or yucky but no you shouldn't get sick from it unless there is visible mold. I ate moldy weed cookies once .

@Jerry Atrick There are edibles on sale in Canada that were over a year old. Gummies containing sugar. Back in Winnipeg, one store had a section called ‘Good Buys’ where the only stuff for sale were products that were either very old by virtue of when they were packaged. There is some debate about adding expiry dates to packages (but this is only under review as part of a mandated review on the Cannabis laws).

If you live in an area that has strict food laws you’re probably quite ok. Is it a sealed from air package?

You might even be able to ask if the company has ever been issued a safe food handling certificate.

I mean, I’d eat them.

Tom
Yes, it is in a vacuum sealed package. I think the guy I bought it from got it from a dispensary in a legal state.

I know the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in the US requires expiration dates/best buy dates on ALL food products unless then are canned or something. But since cannabis is not legal nationwide, I don't think the FDA has any jurisdiction over cannabis related products. But the expiry dates on food are more for liability purposes on the statistically small chance someone gets sick they can say the person didn't follow the expiration date. But the dates really are arbitrary on many foods outside of milk, eggs, bread, cheese, etc.

FYI- I do plan on eating it but am holding out for a special occasion, so it may be a while before I report back to you guys.