• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Experiences microdosing bupe / Bernese method

cowgirl0510

Bluelighter
If anyone has tried this to switch to suboxone I’d love to hear your stories and how it went. Was it hard? Did you feel ok or really shitty?

Have a feeling it doesnt actually work and would be quite wasteful of your drug of choice

I went from Dilaudid with the occasional H and Opana at times to Subutex. I was in really bad withdrawl when I saw the dr. He just wrote me scrip for like 8 mg/ 5 days and told me to come back on Monday.
As for microdosing/taper I have no experience. When I was on Bupe it was for maintainence to prevent relapse.

I've had precipitated withdrawal badly a few times and I'm way too scared of it to fuck around with the Bernese Method. I just wait 24-36 hours after my last shot and them take the Bupe and generally it's realitively seamless. Sometimes tho if I'm doing over thirty bags a day the Bupe will not hold me all the way and I deal with some sickness the first days. Back when it was real Heroin I had less issues with bouncing back and forth for damn sure. The halflives of these analogs vary and in general we dont know what we have unless we are sending it off to be analyzed in a lab.

I've had success using microdosing and heroin. I would take tiny tiny pieces of a strip on days long before my stash would run out. I remember once running out of heroin one night and the next morning slipping a whole 2mg under my tongue and the suboxone itself actually put me back to bed within 2 hours cause I caught a "buzz" from it (for lack of a better term), it was nothing compared to the heroin I had just done, but it was relieving for sure. It was like I was able to use heroin for 5 days and then get right back on my subs like nothing ever happened.

I think there's many variables involved though. You have to make sure you ween off your heroin too & while keeping your sub doses just right.

I think whether or not you're dependent on bupe makes a difference too possibly, when it comes to taking heroin vacations and then jumping back on maintenance,
Plus what Shadow Cat said about the various fent analogues out there.

It’s fentynal that I’m taking. I’d originally waited 24hrs after last does and got on subs but still felt like shit for a week so I went back to using again. They say the subs block opiates but I was about to use my drug and still feel full effects but then I stopped taking the subs.

I want to get back on the subs though and I don’t want to wait the 24 hours of hell again like I did before. So I’m currently taking just a wee bit of suboxone daily with my drug. I don’t feel any difference than if I wasn’t taking it.. feel great. The part I’m afraid of is weaning off the drug and making the jump. Is that uncomfortable ?

i bc also tried going from fent to kratom and didn’t have any luck finding relief. But I didn’t take a lot of kratom .. it’s just hard to get down more than a gram or two at once. Eventually I’d like to try weaning from subs to kratom.

Subs do block other opioids, but the blocking mechanism only starts to work when you've been taking higher doses 2-4mg++
Low doses of subs some times have the ability to synergize with other opiates as well.
However, fentanyl's affinity for the mu-receptor is either around the same, if not higher than buprenorphine. This fact makes the bernese method a little more difficult IMO, but maybe not impossible.

Most people on long term buprenorphine some times need fentayl for pain since it's one of the only other opioids out there that can break through higher doses of subs.
I think the fact that buprenorphine and fentanyl are similar in potency at the receptor, it makes the bernese method much harder.
I'd imagine you'd have to be a little more scrupulous with your doses & measuring with fent than you would with heroin.

Maybe some one with fent + bupe experience will chime in hopefully, as I only have experience with diacetylmorphine/other opioids + bupe. But from what I understand, it might be rough.

Last edited:
I personally have never used subs for maintenance but my SO used to get a sub script and used heroin off and on with no issues restarting his sub doses when he’d get “clean”. That was over 5 years ago though. He was off everything for a year or two, relapsed, then went on methadone maintenance. Ended up relapsing a year in and had stopped going to the clinic so when he wanted to stop that time he said he wanted to get back on subs. I personally watched him try a couple times with the subs and each time sent him into precipitated withdrawals even 48 hours after last heroin dose and over 96 without methadone. He is convinced suboxone no longer works for him, but i don’t see how it would just suddenly stop. Either he was using fentadope without knowing or his constant using on subs in prior years somehow effected something with his receptors (is that a thing?) causing subsequent suboxone therapy to not be as easy. Meaning he has to wait much longer to take it or he’s going to face precipitated withdrawals no matter what and he just has to ride it out and push on with the suboxone doses until it finally works.

And while some might say he should have known his dope had fentanyl due to how much stronger it would have been, he has a ridiculous tolerance. He IV’d pharmagrade fentanyl from an ampoule and didn’t feel much of anything.

I personally have never used subs for maintenance but my SO used to get a sub script and used heroin off and on with no issues restarting his sub doses when he’d get “clean”. That was over 5 years ago though. He was off everything for a year or two, relapsed, then went on methadone maintenance. Ended up relapsing a year in and had stopped going to the clinic so when he wanted to stop that time he said he wanted to get back on subs. I personally watched him try a couple times with the subs and each time sent him into precipitated withdrawals even 48 hours after last heroin dose and over 96 without methadone. He is convinced suboxone no longer works for him, but i don’t see how it would just suddenly stop. Either he was using fentadope without knowing or his constant using on subs in prior years somehow effected something with his receptors (is that a thing?) causing subsequent suboxone therapy to not be as easy. Meaning he has to wait much longer to take it or he’s going to face precipitated withdrawals no matter what and he just has to ride it out and push on with the suboxone doses until it finally works.

The more you switch back n forth between a partial agonist like bupe and full agonists (heroin, methadone, fent, etc..) the less Suboxone actually works. Experienced this for myself going back n forth all the time. But if you stay on the subs long enough, eventually they do start to work again, it just takes longer and longer the more you go back n forth. I haven't had a full agonist in months now and some days I actually feel my suboxone.

The main thing of any method is that inevitably--even though the withdrawal feels something impossible to relay through text--each minute you spend feeling like garbage is closer to the finish line.

It really does not last that long. If you think about the pandemic it is far shorter than that transition into now. Withdrawals come and go and of course feel forever whenever they come in any form. But as far as drugs go, the "sickness" is far more intense mentally than anything I've found to be out there drugs or not.

Everyone's willing to try what they want but I'd rather lessen the blow a bit and then just go with the spiritual death until I feel okay again. Prolonging it through certain methods certainly lowers the intensity, but the toll isn't per say something most people have been able to dodge.

We knew opiates were not for free and not just the money lol. Worth it? Questionable but we all had our strange reasons so might as well pay back in the pain for all the great days we had. I don't regret any of it.. they do reward one at times even though most would concede that opiates are pure evil. I see the user's relationship with opiates incredibly unique and incomparable to any other substance or person in the world. I don't condone opiate use to the point of perpetual high.. and I could not control that but other than suboxone some toll is honestly welcome.

Without the brutality of the withdrawal (luckily mostly mental not like alcohol or benzo withdrawal thank god) how would we ever want to get off them or see it as immoral? It's one of world's best/worst highs. The worst part is the only thing that makes us step back and question how deadly the path is. Nothing else could let's be honest. The high overrides any viewpoint others have and even locks ourselves into one perspective--how to get more. As fun as it is to be high on whatever poppy and friends for all eternity it seems to lose value at that point :)

So I’ve been brave enough to try taking up to 2mg of suboxone a day but I’m having a hard time also decreasing the use of drug of choice and end up not getting off it. I can say that I didn’t have any precipitated withdrawal so far.

I want to really buckle down and try to increase sub dosage and decrease drug use and make the jump this weekend. Just really wish I had some directions and experiences for advice.

@cowgirl0510 - I am right where you were. I have tapered up to 8mg a day suboxone while doing my normal street thing, and have had tremendous struggles weaning down on that, which definitely contains fentanyl or otherwise I would not still be feeling it. I am leaving town for a vacation with my SO on 6 days and I am TERRIFIED that I am going to be sick the whole time. Please let us know how you fared. I could use some encouragement.

I used to take poppy pods everyday with low dose bupe, I think I dosed between0.5 mg and 2 mg of bupe daily, and I was on a shitload of poppy pods. I’ve found that as long as you keep the bupe dose low, there will be enough leftover space on your receptors for morphine Ect. To stay attached to, bupe is a full agonist and has very little blocking effect at low doses. You should be aware though that when you take it every day, because of the long half life, after a week of taking 2 mg daily, you’ll have about 5 mgs in you all the time, so I would recommend not exceeding 1 mg daily if you want to mix other opiates In with it. If you take the bupe before bed every night, you might find that you don’t wake up dopesick anymore.