• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Experiences: AAPs and Stimulants? Abilify blocking Adderall?

socratesthinks

Greenlighter
Experiences: AAPs and Stimulants? Specifically, Abilify blocking Adderall's effects?

Hey just some questions for those who have experiences with AAPs (atypical antipsychotics) and stimulants. I'm kinda discouraged because I just got prescribed Adderall for ADHD. I'm also Bipolar 1, so I'm on Abilify 20mg, once a day. I've had Adderall a few times before this, pre-AAPs, and it worked completely differently. I took a low dose those times and felt focused, ready to take on things, calm, etc. This time, taking a higher dose, and well, mostly nothing. The first day I experienced some dry mouth, which was familiar, but didn't have any of the other effects like focus and increased drive, which is why I'm taking it. I have read that they work on the same receptors, so they counteract each other. That’s depressing! So, for those with experiences with AAPs, what have you done? I'm stable on the Abilify, which is great and stuff, but I want the Adderall effects for the secondary ADD. Are there other mood stabilizers others have used instead of AAPs with success? I mostly need to fend off mania, but I do get very depressed. Anyway, thanks for your help.

TL;DR: What are some of your experiences with AAPs and stimulants? My Abilify seems to be blocking the Adderall I'm taking. Any ideas?