View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Experienced tripper; lamictal+wellbutrin

thpnkpnthr

Greenlighter
I love mushrooms. I really do. I could write them sonnets. I've been tripping a handful of times a year for at least a decade. I'm sitting on a bag that I haven't eaten because of a new medication concern. Poor mushrooms all locked up in a cabinet, wasting away. :(

I've been on lamotrigine (BN: Lamictal) for 3 years and tripped on it quite well - no bad trips, no complications. I just have to take a lower dose than friends. Where I used to enjoy 3-4g for a large dose of giggles/solid visuals but not leaving the planet/mind warp, half of that dose produces the same effects for me now. It's a sodium-channel blocking anti-epileptic...NOT an SSRI/SNRI/etc.

I started bupropion (BN: Wellbutrin) recently and have been a bit nervous to trip since. I don't mind screwing around with one med, but two starts to complicate things, right? Bupropion is an NDRI, NOT an SSRI/SNRI.

I cannot go off of my medications. Can't do it. As much as I love tripping, I love my sanity and being a functional being the rest of the time, too.

Yes, I searched. Yes, I googled. I don't have a degree in biochem, but I'm most of the way through a degree in bio and not totally out of the loop. The internet seems to say that mushrooms don't interact dangerously with bupropion, and I know I've had success/no danger with lamotrigine, but I know there's risk with psych meds and cocktails so:

Any increased harm in giving it a go? I'm tempted to try it out with a low dose first to make sure I won't, like, die...but there's nothing less satisfying than a tripless dose, like getting so close to orgasm and not getting there. :(

I would not "give it a go"
but I would TITRATE UP towards your gentle half dose area over a period of time.

i.e. start with 1/8th of your gentle dose
a week later you could try 1/4 of your gentle dose.

be careful.