• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

'exercise-induced asthma' and Cannabis

Darksidesam

Moderator: CD
Staff member
Hey All,
Firstly Happy new year to the browsers of this forum.
I wanted to know what your experience is in this if you have any and would like to chime in on this subject. So I disappeared from Bluelight for a few years before, i exercised a lot and become a stronger fitter version of myself doing weightlifting (not too heavy but very routinely and regular with it as well as cycling) however i always had this block that i encountered particularly in the colder months. My Airways would inflame and i would struggle to get enough breath and id become very dizzy when cycling for example. In these few years i also didnt use any drugs or cannabis i was just plain sober for a while.

‘Exercise-induced’ asthma
Rarely, someone not diagnosed with asthma might get asthma-like symptoms from exercising.
This is often called ‘exercise-induced asthma’, but a better term is ‘exercise-induced bronchoconstriction’ (EIB) because it is not caused by having asthma. However, it’s important to be assessed for asthma if you have symptoms of EIB.
Bronchoconstriction is when the airways get tighter and narrower as a result of strenuous exercise, particularly if someone is also breathing in cold air.
Elite athletes, particularly athletes that exercise in cold air like cross-country skiers, are more likely to have EIB.

Now ive decided id like to get back into it but i have been going for the odd bike ride already just to clear my mind and i notice a distinct difference in my breathing if ive vaped (dry herb vaping flower, not carts) (lower temps) that day or not. I just went out for example its not crazy cold but its somewhat chilly and there it was the constricted breathing which after a while led to dizziness, where as last time i went out a few days ago it was just as cold if not slightly colder and i had vaped before and my airways were just so much more open, not coughing and tasting blood either.
Ive been tested for Asthma, tried on nebulizer with medication and there was no improvement in my scores so dr said no asthma. Im obviously aware that cannabis has properties as a Bronchodilator however i think i want to test to see how little or how much i can use to get this perk for myself using a mighty vaporiser and a mix of whatever i can score + some CBD flower (I will be testing ill use today as the control)
Thoughts and experiences on this please?
Thanks
-Sam

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Same ride consisting of : 1 Steep hill, a bridge to walk over with bike (glass not worth putting my weight on tyres) the rest is mostly flat with subtle inclines and declines. Fair bit of Tarmac . For harm reduction i do not active encourage anyone to use cannabis or drugs and ride a bicycle unless they are experienced and confident at both of these things.

Day 1 : Cold outside, no Cannabis consumption. Bit of a miserable ride tbh chest pain and a tightness around my neck associated with coughing and i could taste blood. This is normal to me for many years before i used cannabis at all and id not smoked either (although i had passive smoked a lot) Walked up the final hill home with my bike, got home very dizzy room spinning, sat and rest took me a full hour to feel alright again.
Day 2 : Cold outside, vaped a low amount of cannabis/CBD herb mixed at 185c, A lot less aggravation going on for sure, i still cant push it too hard but i noticed myself a lot less out of breath and enjoying my ride overall. I took the long steep hill back vs the short very steep hill back, and i rode up it the whole way. Got home, was a lot less dizzy had a shower and felt good all over. (side note, i seem to have better handling and manoeuvrability can make tighter turns /gaps . Also my liquid drum and bass sounded better than the previous ride.
Day 3 : No Ride
Day 4: Basically the same as Day 2 although initially there was a bit of a struggle somewhat but after 10 mins of going along i was fine. Probably used slightly more cannabis than Day 2

Last edited:
when you say you're vaping, do you mean you're vaping flower or are you smoking carts?

you could also be dealing with allergies in the winter - a big one is dust mites - make sure you wash all coats and jackets, sweatshirts hoodies etc. that were sitting in a closet from the previous season before wearing them again this season - that's where the dust mites hang out - in closets

I’ve told this story likely before but you know how these things get lost in the mix.

I grew up with VERY bad asthma, it was mostly seasonal but exercise, cats, and other things made it flare up too. I remember many nights losing sleep cuz I had to sit up just to breathe. I held onto my primatene inhaler like it was my life line.

Then one summer I went to this snooty Christian summer camp that I hated (I liked the cool YMCA one) and they wouldn’t allow me to hold on to my own inhaler. They had to keep it with the nurse. Well of course I made multiple trips to the nurse that week.

One day we went hiking out into this swamp and the combination of physical endurance and the swamp itself mixed into a perfect storm. I remember barely being able to get out of that swamp and recall my friend dragging me with my legs limp to the nurses. Needless to say I was sent home that day, likely huge liability issue lol.

When I started smoking cannabis, my asthma went away completely. I don’t just mean, it lessened the symptoms. I mean it straight up cured me. I’ve had maybe 3-4 very light probably wouldn’t of even noticed them as a kid asthma attacks since I started. I have wondered if maybe my endogenous cannabinoid system is off..

I also find certain strains even work as an inhaler if I have congestion and hacking a lot of crap up. Find yourself a pinene heavy strain, once you learn the smell it’s an easier terpene to spot. I actually buy bud from one guy I know purely for his pinene heavy strains.

And yes I work out daily. I smoke daily as well as right before I work out. I wouldn’t do it any other way.

-GC

when you say you're vaping, do you mean you're vaping flower or are you smoking carts?

you could also be dealing with allergies in the winter - a big one is dust mites - make sure you wash all coats and jackets, sweatshirts hoodies etc. that were sitting in a closet from the previous season before wearing them again this season - that's where the dust mites hang out - in closets
Dry herb, edited post. Ye good point on the Dust mites however i have recently moved i was rather meticulous with cleaning and scrubbing and vaccuuming before painting and then brand new carpets down, as well as a brand new mattress so it shouldnt be that what is causing me the issues right now but i will take this on board for sure for future things