Mental Health Even sober, I still paranoid that my cats are dying. Feeling guilty for using coke and destroy those around me.

Puff

Bluelighter
Hey, how you guys going? Hope well, or at least doing one step at the time.

Not an active member here, most of my posts topics involve my cats and coke and these one couldn't be different... But with a twist: I was on a period of sobriety when this happened.

First, let me explain how my journey to get sober, my tactic is not use the longest time I can using a "5 day rule" with ritalin to help and expanding one day when I reach the goal. It worked two weeks, however the consume from last weekend made me relapse. I'm aware of my mistake. The trigger was the feeling of deserve a reward for get done a lot of tasks that week, also my ritalin finished two weeks before my appointment. Which was another problem, because on the first six days of sobriety I took 40mg to feel less shit and give strength to my stupid brain. The doctor's recommended 20mg because of my height (the reason of ritalin is not only to help with my coke problems, can I not tell the main reason? Despite being too personal here, some informations I prefer to keep to myself). However my guilt for using drugs, feeling tired, having a hard time to start and finish tasks (specially the boring ones) since my childhood and the overwhelm felt after hours, and even days thinking about the tasks I needed to do were the key factors on my decision to take two more pills, despite the consequences while thinking on a mitigation approach to make the pills last while forcing my body to deal naturally with the lack of dopamine. The experiment failed, however that doesn't mean it was in vain... As a scientist, failed experiments are the opportunity to learn from the mistakes and move on. I don't want to give up.

Now that my body started to get used without the drug (I was consuming 1,5g or more everyday between January of 2024 and took the Easter's holiday to get clean) and more active, my plan is also cut the weekend use, while living without the ritalin support testing alternative methods to start tasks (what is working for me now is do my favourite intelectual task first as a reward of wake up early, eat and take care of my cats)... Not a fan of cold turkey, never worked for me unless I had to travel for studies or to visit my family. This time my strategy is keep studying out of my house (where I use). If anyone has suggestions on how to navigate the first days of coke cold turkey (physical symptoms are also present in my case), please feel free to suggest.

After the long contextualisation, let's talk about my cats: even sober I'm worried about their wellbeing, happiness and my mind insists to tell that they are not well and needs to go to the hospital ASAP.

Just to get clear: we use coke in a kitchen's drawer where the cats have no access. I'm always cleaning the drawer and furniture after using, looking for any dust on the floor and removing, then washing my hands and nose with soap and using alcohol when I have.

Not looking for a diagnose here, don't worry. Now I'll explain why I think my cats are dying.

For my male and older cat (4 years), he looks thin and is meowing at the front door every night at 10 PM a fews weeks ago. If we go get delivery food at night he tries to escape if we are not fast and tries to visit every floor of our building (he doesn't have interest on the entrance door at least - we live on the ground floor). He is meowing more than he uses too, but looks weaker and different. He doesn't stay in the top of the fridge anymore and sometimes tries to poo with no success.

He is sniffing a lot and I can hear him breathing getting closer to his face, he walks more clumsy and takes more time to jump (or he just stays on the floor). His chest is a little "fat" (that is my main worrying). He had gastritis too last year (got treatment, but after this I couldn't afford an ultrasound to check)... Must confess that everything involving stomach has been triggering me recently because my father got cancer there. I feel guilty for my cat being anxious and developed this. I feel guilty for choosing the wrong food to prevent this (even if was a food recommended by his vet). I feel guilty for the days I haven't played with him.

For my female and youngest cat (1) year. I think she lost a bit of weight, her agility and graciousness diminished. She is naturally energetic and a hunter, but she seems lost, looking up a lot, like she is looking for something. She seems scared. Looks like the strength of her back paws diminished when she jumps. Now she is the one on top.of the fridge. Her poop stinks more than the usual.

Yesterday I caught her carrying a gecko with her mouth and got nuts, because the cat can get sick and die due to the gecko (we have a garden, but that was the first time I've found a gecko here).

She loves to stay in the garden with the plants. I love this garden. However I feel guilty because I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO TAKE CARE OF A GARDEN (I never had one). The only thing I did was to clean before move in, take off all the toxic plants for cats thanks to some research and the Google, tried to kill the snails (worked for a while, but they came back), clean the cats poop (another thing that worries me... They use the garden and the litter box), always check potential dengue focus, give water and prune from time to time the remaining plants...This last one I left to be desired.

However, I have no idea of what I'm doing while looking for a way to crete the habit of gardening. My plant knowledge is ZERO, I just recognized the most popular toxic plants for cats deducing, googling and sending pictures to my father and two friends who lives in a farm. However, what if I missed a plant? Should I use insecticide? Fertilizer? The insecticides brings health problems for cats? My female cat loves to climb and scratch our bamboo palm...

What dangerous species I'm missing? What if a parasite is inside her? What if she catch a cold due to her habit of stay under the rain? What if the anti-flea and the vermifuge don't protect her? What if she at an insect while she was out of my view and dies (never saw her eating, just carrying roaches with the mounth to the living room to play)? What if some neighbours throw something poisonous on the garden when me and my husband were distracted or not home? Am I being too protective for monitoring her roaches interactions or I need to be more rigid? She is so sweet, brave, but has no sense of self preservation... I want to give her a beautiful Garden, with more plants where she could play, free from plagues for good, vivid...

She seems so sad these days...

Is stupid, but Google and YouTube made me more confused on this topic of gardening. These situations works for me if I have company, at least at the begining... Just because I love to learn and teach, while working on a project. Working alone is good, but I miss working on small groups.

Anyway, the guilt (because of coke, not being a functional adult like my parents and grandparents, for the times when my depression was too intense, for starting to work out home changing my male cat routine (the female wasn't born that time), for my female cat trembling on her first night after the neutralisation surgery and failed to comfort her, for leaving to work when my husband was getting clean from oxy and not staying home to give assistance, for my coke psychosis where one of my cats ended up on the vet or the hospital because my excess of worry, for closing the bedroom door one night where I needed to rest, leaving the cats out and causing the female cat to fall from the window of our former apartment (even with protection), for the times I had to take my female cat away from the notebook because I needed to work, for being a burden... Therapy and inner work are helping ... But bad days exist and I hate myself for not doing my best even in my worst.

Well, before this thread of a crazy cat lady desperate to talk, ends up with the same length of War and peace, but with the same quality of my cat's masterpiece exhibed on their litter box, my final question: how to stop to get worried with my cats even sober? I don't know how to trust on my observations. Is normal to be an adult who doesn't know what is doing?

Read about cats diseases and watch videos just made me more paranoid. With my cats is hard to be rational and think in a critical way.

Too long to read. U got a short version ?
Basically, the last few weeks made me realize that even without coke I worry about my cats health too much.
This made me realize my habit of always being on alert, waiting for a tragedy. At the same time I feel guilty for not doing things with excellence.

Edit: Also my sobriety last two weeks. Now I'm studying the next strategy based on past mistakes

Last edited:
Ye u have mental health issues.
Stay off the coke and focus on ur physical and mental health.
One day ur cat is going to die. Don’t be the weirdo that has a mental breakdown over a cat.
Give it head a wobble and get things in perspective

Ye u have mental health issues.
Stay off the coke and focus on ur physical and mental health.
One day ur cat is going to die. Don’t be the weirdo that has a mental breakdown over a cat.
Give it head a wobble and get things in perspective
Ye, currently working on my mental health and sobriety. From now on I'll stop working at home and delete WhatsApp (I deleted and blocked my contact number, but they remain on the blocked list).
I know my cats is going to die, my fear is a precocious death. Unfortunately is normal precocious death, you can see everywhere. Death is something I need to work on myself.
Good idea to get things in perspective. Thank You.

The title of this thread caught my attention because I know I read a comment that contained that specific paranoia in connection with cocaine.
I think recognizing that something's not right and taking first steps to set it right is already a first step. I personally can relate to this one (working from home is one of the things that are most affecting me in a negative way).
From now on I'll stop working at home
This one is another good choice, though I think your motivation might be different from mine (unfortunately it would make things difficult for me to delete this specific app).
delete WhatsApp
Now, I'm no shrink but from what I understand the source of your paranoia is both the feeling of not being perfect, and some problem with death. Which are quite common issues. And though taking cocaine might not help, at least it brought this underlying issues out and did not create them. Therefore getting sober is a good thing, but just it won't resolve your paranoia problem.

Have you someone to talk about these things? It doesn't have to be a shrink, sometimes just sharing thoughts with people in a similar situation helps more than any paid doctor or pill.

I have to wait for something so I have time for a few more comments because so much of what you write I have experienced, too
Yesterday I caught her carrying a gecko with her mouth and got nuts, because the cat can get sick and die due to the gecko (we have a garden, but that was the first time I've found a gecko here).
It's been a long time since I had a cat and that was in Europe, but now I have dogs in South America and geckos are bad for them, too. On one occasion we knew one of them ate one, we took him to the vet (my ex was more worried about that that I was, really). So there's nothing wrong with your being worried.
Is stupid, but Google and YouTube made me more confused on this topic of gardening.
Search results from Google (and others) confuse me about almost anything. Seriously, even about how to correctly plant tomato seeds.
Working alone is good, but I miss working on small groups.
Can feel you 100%. Before COVID, when my living circumstances were a little different, I used to to work from cafes or practically anywhere where I had a socket for my laptop. I hope I can return to that practice sometime soon. So if you have a chance to get out and work at least an hour or two even only surrounded by people give it a try.
Read about cats diseases and watch videos just made me more paranoid
Don't feed the troll (which in this case is your paranoia)

The title of this thread caught my attention because I know I read a comment that contained that specific paranoia in connection with cocaine.
I think recognizing that something's not right and taking first steps to set it right is already a first step. I personally can relate to this one (working from home is one of the things that are most affecting me in a negative way).

This one is another good choice, though I think your motivation might be different from mine (unfortunately it would make things difficult for me to delete this specific app).

Now, I'm no shrink but from what I understand the source of your paranoia is both the feeling of not being perfect, and some problem with death. Which are quite common issues. And though taking cocaine might not help, at least it brought this underlying issues out and did not create them. Therefore getting sober is a good thing, but just it won't resolve your paranoia problem.

Have you someone to talk about these things? It doesn't have to be a shrink, sometimes just sharing thoughts with people in a similar situation helps more than any paid doctor or pill.
Thank you for the answer. Probably you read some of my comments (or not).
Agreed, working home most of the time distracts me. If I use coke, at some point the cats will get my attention and interrupt what I'm doing. When I had a job outside home 8-5 it was good because I have an schedule that depends the other. Even in college I preferred to study in the library, COVID gave me addiction on staying home.
Yes, since my childhood I fought to be the perfect, quiet, obedient kid. At home, I always had to stay alert and quiet, because it was uncertain when my mom would explode or enter in my room without knock. I avoided to make mistakes or stand up for myself because my mom would scold me and my father would take her side.At school was the same thing, but to brace myself when the boys would make a joke about my hair and when the girls would look at me, laugh loud so I could hear and say something between themselves loud enough so I could hear. Is like I'm always on a survival mode.
I have my husband to talk about. With my friend some vulnerabilities are shared, but not those... They don't use drugs. Just my husband and the dealer knows. No one else knows. And is a burden. However the stigma of coke in my country is strong and is not well seen.
Also, my family and friends will suffer and be devastated. Hurt them is gonna kill me. Be misunderstood and stereotyped by someone I love will destroy me.
Need to give more chance to people in this town. Scared of show vulnerability and be manipulated or betrayed like in the past. But is worth to give a shot.

I have to wait for something so I have time for a few more comments because so much of what you write I have experienced, too

It's been a long time since I had a cat and that was in Europe, but now I have dogs in South America and geckos are bad for them, too. On one occasion we knew one of them ate one, we took him to the vet (my ex was more worried about that that I was, really). So there's nothing wrong with your being worried.

Search results from Google (and others) confuse me about almost anything. Seriously, even about how to correctly plant tomato seeds.

Can feel you 100%. Before COVID, when my living circumstances were a little different, I used to to work from cafes or practically anywhere where I had a socket for my laptop. I hope I can return to that practice sometime soon. So if you have a chance to get out and work at least an hour or two even only surrounded by people give it a try.

Don't feed the troll (which in this case is your paranoia)
Oh, I hope your dog was okay! Geckos are greats roach eaters, but they algo gets our pets sick.

About Google, totally agree. At least for some practical skills like gardening or exchanging a tire.

Besides the university, I like to work on a cafe next home. Is like being part of a group lol.

Agreed. I blocked some Tik tok accounts of people asking money for their sick cats (some of them are even urinating blood, having convulsion and needing urgent surgery on key organs since 2022. Funny, right?) in conjunction with scams.
The only thing I wanted is that cats didn't have this habit of hiding pain. Only I have this right.
Just kidding, we can't fight against their nature. My worry is the lack of a third opinion from someone who understands cats and visits our pets with certain frequency, like a pet inspector lol... Well, this idea is non-sense, I know. But with any life I'm responsible I wish to have someone like this, not to transfer the responsibility, but to check if I'm doing something wrong and how to improve the quality of life of this being.
Reading this shows clearly how insecure I am with my skills and observations mixed with some difficulty to understand some social clues. Don't know how to believe in myself after years not believing. That will be an interesting journey.

I had to think of you when I was on the bus earlier on my way back home from shopping. I had left the gate open so my dogs could go out for a run/hunt and some socializing with the neighbors, but return home if they wanted. We don't have much traffic here, and they have learned to stay away from moving cars. The closest neighbors know them by now and so do the other dogs (and probably cats, too)
Seems very idyllic, right?
But suddenly I was imagining all kinds of scenarios, and even was convinced that when I got home, someone would tell me one of the girls was run over or something like that.
I've learned to push this kind of thoughts aside (caused by some bad experiences I had in the last) and of course, when I got home, everybody was fine and happy.

So it's not just you who falls into this "if only I had/hadn't" trap. And I know this happens to a lot of people, and not only with pets or children, but with their businesses, too (feeling responsible for their employees). I solve my dog-worries by telling myself that they are way better at surviving, and handling their life situations, than I am. And I guess the same goes for your cats.

And yes, the dog that ate the gecko was fine :)