Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

EU - Dutch clampdown on 'drug tourists' could damage the economy

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Public Service Europe

by Justin Stares
20 March 2012

With reader comments

In less than two months, Maastricht's famous coffee shops will be off limits to cross-border drug tourists - but some locals are planning to rebel against the Dutch clampdown

A coffee shop owner in the Dutch town of Maastricht is planning to deliberately break a new law banning non-residents from buying marijuana as part of his campaign to prevent the prohibition of the decades-old cross-border soft drugs trade. Marc Josemans, owner of the Easy Going coffee shop and chairman of Maastricht's coffee shop owners' association, says the so-called "weed pass" law - due to come into force in May - will play into the hands of criminal drug dealers.

More...
http://www.publicserviceeurope.com/...own-on-drug-tourists-could-damage-the-economy

I'd bet my life that within a week of this passing, there'll be a dealer on every corner in Maastricht selling weed from the coffee shops at a mark up. Once again all they're doing is taking the market out of the hands of legitimate businesses and into the hands of criminals.

I'd also bet my life that whatever problems they're trying to prevent will get worse, not better.

Dutch love so much money that I'm quite surprised. Anyway, I thought this only concerned south border towns? Like, I'm sure Amsterdam Mayor refused to apply this law? I'm even sure a town like Groningen will always have their coffeeshops open to everybody, drug tourism is this town and others is non-existant.

I'm sure you will see citizens offering to take tourists into coffee shops and buy for them for 5 or 10 euro or something.

Not sure if that would be illegal though. That's what I would do if I lived there, easy money.

This ban is going to backfire on the Dutch government ....in fact I am certain its going to create another more dangerous black market atmosphere anywhere cannabis is sold in Holland

I believe you'll need to show a passport to get into the coffeeshop; so citizens can't just 'bring foreign tourists into the shops'
now paying someone to go buy you a joint on the other hand, that sounds simple and there's no real way to stop that. As others said... this is only going to result in the creation of a larger black market for marijuana which has no benefits to the overall health of society.

edit- that is only if cities are stupid enough to enforce this... I have a hard time all the shops in amsterdam are going to suddenly close up to dutch citizens only... who knows tho.

I was gonna say exactly what Crank said. So now instead of having people from other countries go there and give money to the govt, its going to go to black market dealers, exactly what theyre trying to stop.

I thought the Dutch were smarter than that with money

I don't know why they're trying to "fix" a system that works fairly well from my understanding, at least compared to the alternative-dealers on corners. Oh well, if this goes into effect, they will learn their lesson. I'd much rather buy marijuana from a store than from a dealer, or any drug for that matter but still.