• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ethanol as sedative/anxiolytic: equivalence to benzos

Renald

Bluelighter
I asked the same question trying to compare ethanol to ketamine (NMDA antagonists). Now I am interested what amount of ethanol (BAC) is equivalent in anxiolytic/sedative effects to, lets say, 10 mg of diazepam? Can we analyse ethanol GABAergic action only and compare it to benzodiazepines by dosages? It is interesting to hear subjective feelings from the users who find benzos and ethanol similar in action. For me the substances are not very similar, and no therapeutic amount of any benzo makes me feel so fucked as 1-1.5 permille BAC of ethanol.

The problem with this question is that your tolerance can change things an awful lot. For me, approximately half a bottle of wine (500ml) feels like 5-10mg Xanax, with similar onset and duration.

Looks for you half a bottle of wine is supratherapeutic dosage. What is the binding affinity of ethanol to GABA receptors?

I actually can't seem to find a reliable source for the Ki or EC50 values of ethanol. I get the feeling I'm missing something obvious.