Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethanol as a MAOi

Memantine

Bluelighter
Hi,

Does (low dose) ethanol increase the effect of tryptamines significantly? I have read that the acetaldehyde metabolite has a MAOi function.

My subjective experience is that alcohol can negate some of the 'magic' of psychedelics.
Never was much of a drinker though, so others might have a better answer for you.

I have had amazing potentiation at the tail-end of a 4-HO-DET trip, after smoking a joint with some really strong tobacco in it.
Gave me some amazing mandala CEVs. Quite beautiful.
But i have a very low tolerance to tobacco - and frankly i wouldn't recommend people smoke that crap.
It was an interesting experience though. Tobacco has beta carbolines in it, which are a mild MAOi.

Passionflower is another mild MAO inhibitor, which lacks the intoxicating (side?) effects of liquor.
I don't drink at all any more, but even if i did, i don't think i would mix alcohol with tryptamines.
Too muddying IMO.

It would be interesting if this were the case. Alcohol also has some NMDA activity. In theory this could make for a very trippy effect when combined with the right substance in the right amount.

I'm pretty certain that alchohol (ethanol) is absolutely not an MAOi, and as for potentiating PDs - it won't. It dulls the trip a bit, takes the edge off, that's about it.

No the claims of alcohol or rather its metabolite acetaldehyde as MAOI appears flawed on multiple accounts and very weakly supported. It is built on weak assumptions, and experimental observations of influenced monoamine levels appear to be explained differently: to be precise, not a result of inhibition of MAO activity, but rather a disruption / interaction in the precursor synthesis of natural monoamines.
The point is: that would not affect externally introduced alkaloids.

Passionflower is another mild MAO inhibitor, which lacks the intoxicating (side?) effects of liquor.

I think we're talking very, very mild tho spacejunk. To activate DMT or any other tryptamine you need a pretty serious whack of MAOI. I don't think you'd be able to eat enough passionflower to have any effect.

Agreed.
But i dont know if this is about making dmt orally active - which is why i gave the example of my experience with 4-ho-met and tobacco.